Author Topic: Watch service discussion  (Read 2816 times)

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
Watch service discussion
« on: April 14, 2022, 08:00:14 AM »
Hi People !

I have a watch that's on a 5-7 years mark. Would like to understand more from on -

1. What are the watch brands that actually send it back to HQ for service instead of done by the dealer in Malaysia?
2. What is the cost of a regular service?
3. Is it recommended to service watches on a regular interval or rule of thumb is to continue using it if everything is working fine?

Offline dualcarb

Re: Watch service discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2022, 04:13:18 PM »
I will try to answer your questions as best as I can. Please correct me if I am not wholly accurate.

1-  sent back to HQ. Do you mean being sent back to country of origin to be serviced? If this is what you meant. Then big brands like Patek will get sent back to Switzerland. And even Grand Seiko gets sent back to Japan. There are other brands like Tissot or Rolex that has a service center in whatever country that you are in. Rolex almost always has a service center where you are.

2-  Cost of regular service? I don't have many experience with other brands as I have only sent my Tissot T Touch, IWC and Rolex for service. All sent back to AD and AD will send to service center with the exception of Rolex where you have to go to their designated service center. Many moons ago, my Tissot cost me a few hundred ringgit, but because it is a quartz, I don't think you can call it a "service" as I needed the battery changed and at the same time they "cleaned" it and had gasket and rubber seals changed. IWC was a spitfire chrono and that cost me RM$2000 over 12 years ago. And Rolex cost me around $3000. I got both watches back after about one month after sending it off for service.

3- I will not bother to send it in for service, unless you do a lot of swimming and diving and your watch will be constantly underwater as you would want proper waterproofing. But as a rule of thumb for automatic watches, I will not send them in for service unless it is waaaaay off in terms of time accuracy. Which means + or - more than 30 seconds a day.These days the watchmakers use silicone oil as lubricant and they last way longer than mineral oil. Which was why manuals from yesteryear which was not updated will recommend that you service your watch every 3-5 years. These days, most ppl will happily wear their watches for over 10 years before bringing them in for service.

Offline wkwk92

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 03:07:17 PM »
Thanks for the kind advice ! It’s really informative.

My watches are still working as good as new, was wondering what is the sign where I need to send it for service. So far I don’t see much discrepancy in time, everything move smoothly as well - guess I will keep it as is for now, until it’s really needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2022, 07:40:50 PM »
One more rule of thumb is, when they are lying dormant in your watch box. Give them a full wind once a month so that the lubricants is spread around the movement of the watch. So if your watches are running within regulations and is keeping time just fine, let them be la...don't open it up just for the sake of servicing it because you think it is time...cheers and enjoy your watches.

Offline fakhri-im

Where's the Fossil repair centre?
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2022, 04:52:21 AM »
I have a Fossil chronograph watch that needs some repair, where is the repair centre for Fossil? It's a 5-year-old plus watch gifted to me by my dad.

Offline shzrn

• Freshie
Re: Where's the Fossil repair centre?
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2022, 11:20:06 AM »
I have a Fossil chronograph watch that needs some repair, where is the repair centre for Fossil? It's a 5-year-old plus watch gifted to me by my dad.

I would like to know this as well, as I have a few fossil watches to service as well.

Offline The Middle Man

• Freshie
Re: Where's the Fossil repair centre?
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 02:44:49 PM »

Just send back to any Fossil store will do, no?