Author Topic: The watch that ended the craze  (Read 17877 times)

Offline G.MAC

The watch that ended the craze
« on: January 08, 2013, 09:10:36 AM »
2013 has been decided as the year I stop collecting watches. Ever since I first delve into watch collecting in 2009, I have bought, sold and traded watches. Joining the forum just made the craze and itch worse as I was introduced to different genre and models of watches. It also made me had an ephiphany. I began to realise it is not so much about the quantity but the quality. Therefore, I began selling and upgrading my current collection. Despite this, I always knew what watch i wanted to end my watch-collecting journey. However, the only way i can ever own one of these high-end watches is by getting them pre-owned. The opportunity first came in 2012 but the seller backed out at the last minute as he felt that the watch was still dear to him. I was a little annoyed and angry at the seller as I had prepared everything in anticipation of the purchase but it was not meant to be. So by Christmas of 2012, I told my regular dealer here to search for one. He told me he had one coming in and it would be put aside for me. He told me the price and immediately my mind did some mental calculations and I had to move 3/4 of my collection for it. Still since I felt that it is a worthwhile price, I proceeded with the purchase. I started my Christmas holidays and my New Year selling my watches. So on the first business day of 2013, I walked in to collect my grail. The Gerald Genta-designed Patek Philippe Nautilus 5711/1A-011

Ever since I first saw this watch, i knew that among all the Patek, this is the one I am most likely to own. It has the size (40mm - I am a big guy with a huge wrist so I cant carry the smaller models), the water resistance (120m) and it is the one I am most likely to be able to afford. One thing that I do have to get used to is the lack of wrist presence when I am wearing this watch. Being used to wearing big watches, I always felt that there is a 'hefty feeling' on the wrist but this is not present with this watch. Wearing this watch, I sometimes forgot that it is there as there is no weight at all.

The dial

The white dial on this watch is really refined and the finishing of the dial is just exquisite. Many knew that I was looking for the blue dial one. Why white? Well, it was because my dealer had it ready. The one I originally missed out on was the blue dial version. Given the choice and the chance, I'd still go for the blue dial if it came along. The blue dial always looks sportier. The dressier white dial does however give the watch a cleaner look and enhance the size on the wrist. Having never owned a white dial before, this was a pleasant change from the regular dark-colored dial watches that i usually own. The hands on the white dial Nautilus is also different as it is black as opposed to silver on the blue dial. The lume is also white on this version as opposed to green on the blue dial.

Movement and Caseback

This is a picture of the movement. The Nautilus is powered by the patek philippe 324 SC caliber movement. One thing I was quite surprised at first ( and a little worried) was that the movement doesnt hack. I thought I had bought a lemon but upon further research on the internet, I realised that this is in fact correct. Either the watch being too small or light, but I find that the rotor rotates easily with a flick of the wrist. So the watch does stay winded most of the time. I tested it and the watch has a power reserve of approx 48 hours which isnt saying much. Having tested it for about a week, the watch has also so far kept very good timing with little to no deviation (so far it is keeping time to +/- 2 seconds a day)

Clasp

As you can see, the Cross of Calatrava is also present on the clasp of the watch.

The deployment clasp for the Nautilus is really solid and tight. The quality is felt there and it feels very solid.

Crown

If Rolex is famous for its coronet, then Patek should be famous for the Cross of Calatrava. It is again present at the crown.
Lastly, a wrist shot for the album.

I hope you all enjoy reading this personal review of the Nautilus. There isnt much in regards to technical specifications but it is a personalised view of the watch. Again with this watch, I am stopping watch collecting altogether. Maybe I will upgrade some of the pieces in my collection in the future but for now, I have to set a different priority altogether. The journey in watch collecting has been great and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I just hope that there would be less temptations now that the grail has been achieved. (That being said, SIHH 2013 and Baselworld 2013 is just around the corner)
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: The watch that ended the craze
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 09:24:34 AM »
Thanks for the review and I'm sure it is the grail too for many of us.
Will you plan to do some polishing?

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 09:36:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing your horological journey with us..
How I wish I could reach your emotional and mental level, attaining ur nirvana with 1 final do-it-all watch...
that would really save me heartaches, unending aching desires and painful pockets...

You did it within a relatively short period 2009-2013....I've been wandering & seeking my nirvana for decades...still uncertain of which is the ultimate do-it-all..

Congrats and like a photography guru once told me.. "the journey will always end up with a (Leica)..in this case a PP"... :thumbsup:
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 09:39:30 AM »
Thanks bro CK. Yes I will send it for polishing soon. Being a bit busy following the long holidays, I havent made time to send it in for polishing. What is surprising is that the previous owner got hairlines scratches on the brushed parts but not the polished parts. Most of the 'scratches' on the photos are actually lint and dust as they were taken when I just finished working and the lint must be from my sleeves. The only hairlines are the ones near 12 o'clock.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 09:41:38 AM »
Bro JOS, sometimes it is more of deciding to bite the bullet now and go for the grail or to just continuously work towards obtaining it. The harder part in all these is to know and decide what that grail might be.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 10:34:12 AM »
You da man G.mac... nuff said...  :Cheers:
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Primus

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 10:56:34 AM »
Congrats on the watch G.Mac

wear it in good health

I'm glad you have achieved your grail. And what a fine watch to end your itch with. a timepiece classics. Have you gotten used to the weight of that watch?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 01:02:11 PM by Primus »

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »
Seem like PP become the norm now, happy for you getting your grail...

Wear for Good Health  :thumbsup:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 01:58:53 PM »
Bro Hanz and siodee - Thanks

Bro Primus - Am getting used to it. I guess I have been a little bit rough on my watches. With all the bigger models such as Deepsea, Navy Seal Alarm and such, am used to big movement on the wrist and there is a feeling there. Am worried what would happen if I were to wear one of those Pateks with high complication such as yours. I guess with Patek being a dress watch, the manufacturer really gave a lot of thought into it and know how to incorporate the technology that the rotor is wound with minimal movements such as writing or a slight movement of the wrist. The problem with grails is that there is always another one. But i hope that would come in the distant future and not immediately  :Praying: I do hope that this piece would be one of those that I pass on to the next generation.

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 03:01:47 PM »
:Praying: I do hope that this piece would be one of those that I pass on to the next generation.

You can pass it to me tomorrow, ........... DAD.  I will be good this year, I promise :laugh:

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2013, 03:17:10 PM »

[/quote]

You can pass it to me tomorrow, ........... DAD.  I will be good this year, I promise :laugh:
[/quote]

:Laughing_on_floor:  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ranj85

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
A beautiful end, to a jouney... pass it on to the next gen......

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2013, 05:29:02 PM »
An interesting journey I might add as well. I dont see it as an end all. I am still open to upgrading and consolidating.

Offline sm

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2013, 06:17:34 PM »
Senor,

Read the write-up. You have walked the mile and being decisive, found the rainbow.
Its my grail too, I think, for many others too.

Wear it in good health. May it brings you abundance of prosperity.

Congrats
Sm

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 06:59:13 PM »
Thanks Bro SM.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
Handled the watch, definitely a fine watch. Can feel the quality when u hold it. Movement is  :thumbsup: to view. Congratz bro. Here the writstshot with his watch.  :thumbsup:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 08:57:16 AM »
It's good to exercise some restraint... :thumbsup: but sometimes it works the opposite way..it fuels the passion more. i suspect i may see some upgrades eventually.. :Cheers:

Very nice PP5711!! simple, sporty and elegant

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 11:28:18 AM »
Bro JPSP, I suspect you will be right eventually. However upgrades have to be done selectively now. My wallet was never the same ever since i was sucked into this craze. It was your 5711 that determines that this is to be my grail if you must know.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline RaymondT

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »
Congrats G.mac ! , this would be my ultimate grail as well in the far far future , but for now, i'm taking 1 small step at the time  :thumbsup:

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2013, 06:45:34 AM »
Congrats.. Wear it in good health.. U journey wnt stop here bcos you haven't add the VC to your collection yet  :P

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2013, 09:51:16 AM »
Bro Dennis,

If I find the VC Overseas Automatic or Chrono in the pre-owned market, I would love to take a stab at it. But it will be a while before I get it again. I believe only the journey of obtaining new watches has truly stopped. I am always open to upgrading.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline JPSP

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2013, 10:32:41 AM »
Bro Dennis,

If I find the VC Overseas Automatic or Chrono in the pre-owned market, I would love to take a stab at it. But it will be a while before I get it again. I believe only the journey of obtaining new watches has truly stopped. I am always open to upgrading.  :Laughing_on_floor:

The brown dial VC seems to be a good addition to your already fine collectio to have more variety. White VC will look similar to your AP and your majority of your watches seem to have black dial

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2013, 06:04:27 AM »
salute....from G-Shock to Patek....you had it all......
congratulation

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2013, 09:23:19 PM »
Nice watch n congrats. regards tony

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
I will be selling 4 of my watches soon n wait for something i like to come by . Most probably will stop after that. tony.