Author Topic: Gallet Multichron 30M  (Read 4382 times)

Offline rainbowfix01

Gallet Multichron 30M
« on: March 20, 2020, 02:19:27 PM »
Since we can't go out.. I will write something.
This is one of a few Gallets that I own. This one is not in excellent condition but got it for a good price  about 2 years back from Ebay.

This model is a multichron 30M because of the 30min register at 3 o'clock with Venus 150 inside. Start stop operation is same as modern chronograph. Top button start and stop, bottom button reset the chronograph hands.

Case size is 34.2mm which is almost the smallest size watch that I can wear with my 6.5in wrist. Even it's small, it wears really well on the wrist.

Case material is stainless steel, which is quite a hard material to work with back then. This case is quite special as it has one of the early waterproof case. Instead of screw back that we have now.. it rely on 4 screws to hold the top case n then watch case secure.This is widely called clamshell case. Gallet claimed in one advertisement that their waterproof case chronograph is the 1st waterproof chronograph in The US.

Hands are all blued steel. The dial with red Telemeter and snail tachymeter scale. Just below the red telemeter ring there is a gold mirror ring, it sits between the telemeter n 60min scale.

According to ww.galletworld.com this model is produced between 1936 to 1951. Unknown production quantity.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

Offline Geneve

Re: Gallet Multichron 30M
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2020, 03:33:03 PM »
Nice watch.
I always wanted to get a ww2 military vintage watch but worry the movement condition will give me lot of hassle. After buying need to find someone who knows to repair or service it, so up until now I still haven't pull the trigger. Maybe someday I will consider it when I know a great watchmaker.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk

Offline rainbowfix01

Re: Gallet Multichron 30M
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2020, 11:33:35 AM »
Nice watch.
I always wanted to get a ww2 military vintage watch but worry the movement condition will give me lot of hassle. After buying need to find someone who knows to repair or service it, so up until now I still haven't pull the trigger. Maybe someday I will consider it when I know a great watchmaker.

Sent from my Mi 9T Pro using Tapatalk
Thanks, my suggestion on buying vintage is buy from reputable seller with the watch already serviced. However like all old things.. there is no guarantee it'll not break. Personally, I find the MOD issued Smiths W10 to be quite good for value. Lemania single pusher chrono is good too.

Yeah finding a good local watch repairer is hard. Good ones have backlogs stretching into months n months...

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk