Author Topic: Is your watch more expensive than your boss'?  (Read 21580 times)

Offline takashi78

Is your watch more expensive than your boss'?
« on: January 05, 2011, 08:28:15 AM »
Unless you are your own boss then how or what do you feel if your employee wears something 2x or even 10x of what you are wearing?

Others like me...sometimes i am weary not to show my watch too much to my boss. I have 2 and both wears a Casio and has been for the past few years.
While my daily is usually my SD.
Most times i can hide it under my shirt so when its casual friday i usually rotate to my cheaper watches.

Not that my boss recognizes any of the watch i wear but then again we wouldnt want too much attention also right? :P

Reason i am asking is i might consider my first yellow gold watch but still thinking how often i can wear it.

Offline danny

• Administrator
Re: Is your watch more expensive than your boss'?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2011, 08:37:20 AM »
I believe it depends on whether your boss is a watch kaki or not.

If your boss is a WIS then you had better wear something with less bling than what he's wearing.

If your boss can't tell the difference between a Timex and a Casio then no matter what you wear he would still be clueless.

Just my 2 cents.

Peter,
If you're considering a solid gold watch then you should be worrying more about people with criminal intent rather than your boss's impression of your watch.
Avoid walking in dark alleys with any bling bling watch.

:Cheers:

Offline Samajaya168

• ^_^
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2011, 08:41:35 AM »
i think as long the material (yellow or rose gold) make does not outshine ur boss, it should be ok  :angel:
AP - 15710
ROLEX - 116710
FM - GPG 9900
PANERAI - PAM 00000
CHOPARD - 168457-3005
ZENITH - 03.2430.3000/21.C738
SINN - Art-Nr. 1020.040
TISSOT - T066.427.17.047.00
OMEGA - 1513.30.00 (TRADED)
IWC -  IW500703 (TRADED)

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2011, 08:45:21 AM »
In an office, esp. where staffs are non watch affectionate, my answer is always yess.......

Most of my staffs / colleagues wore quartz watches. Anything (watches) above rm200 is expensive to them. No. Its not that they cannot afford them. Its just that it is not justified to spend $$ on watches.

To them, a watch is just to tell time. Why spend so much?

My boss, CEO of the company wore a quartz watch. Whats more can I say?

dc
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:33:34 AM by David_cheong »
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2011, 08:55:34 AM »
Yes, some of my watches are more expensive than my bosses  :Laughing_on_floor:

My CEO = Tag Aquaracer quartz (analog with digital) sorry, don't know the model name.  ::)
My COO = Vintage Rolex 6694

None of my colleague is WIS, and I've spread some virus to few of them.  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 08:59:30 AM by ck77 »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2011, 09:08:39 AM »
i not sure my watch is more expensive than my bosses

but i very sure i wear a bigger watch than them !

today i'm on my 46 x 53 mm ecw f41

:Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline peanut

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »
Why people have the perception that boss is always more wealthy than subordinate?  I have a direct report that married to a wealthy family and his in-law gave him expensive gifts like a Panerai Daylight Chrono, etc. every now and then.  Some of the others have invested wisely and probably have a larger bank account than me. 

If you understand this point, then you won't be offended that your staff is wearing a more expensive watch or driving a bigger car or staying in a bigger house or having a prettier girl friend/wife than you   ;D

Offline nayo

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 09:33:04 AM »
Quote "you won't be offended that your staff is wearing a more expensive watch or driving a bigger car or staying in a bigger house or having a prettier girl friend/wife than you   "

My superior still wears his 30 year old Citizen dual time. Still drives an old Accord ( really old ). But then again, he lives in a 7 room detach. And retiring with a big fat EPF bounty. Hmm.. maybe I can interest him in a Daytona. ::)

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:09:17 AM »
Personally, I dont really bother if my watch is more expensive than my boss'. It just shows one thing, you are willing to spend money on something that they are not willing to do so. It isnt like they cannot afford one, its just that they choose not to.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 10:13:34 AM »
All very good points.

Danny,
I am always well aware of the environment i am going to be in and wear my watch accordingly.
Example i wont ever wear my SD when i go mamak with my friends at night. Sometimes i dont even wear a watch also.

The solid gold watch Chris pointed out to me price is too tempting to pass but still considering and how often can i wear it.

I think my boss dont care much either cause he knows each person has different priorities and interest in life. He spends all his money on food and long distance phone calls back home and i on watches.
My boss still drives a 1st gen Proton Wira with 240k on the odo and says he will not change until it reaches 300k. Thats his principle. The car is 14yrs old i think.

Offline zameenzahari

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 10:27:43 AM »
Unless you are your own boss then how or what do you feel if your employee wears something 2x or even 10x of what you are wearing?

Others like me...sometimes i am weary not to show my watch too much to my boss. I have 2 and both wears a Casio and has been for the past few years.
While my daily is usually my SD.
Most times i can hide it under my shirt so when its casual friday i usually rotate to my cheaper watches.

Not that my boss recognizes any of the watch i wear but then again we wouldnt want too much attention also right? :P

Reason i am asking is i might consider my first yellow gold watch but still thinking how often i can wear it.

Yes. My boss definitely noticed my PAMs and did make some remarks. He's always with his Speedmaster. Nowadays, i try not to have my PAM on when I know I'll be having meetings with him.

Offline landyshah

« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 11:45:46 AM »
Just because people earn tons more money doesnt mean they need to spend it on watches.

Theres lots more fun (or necessary) things to do with the money - like sports cars, hi fi, camera gear or just plain old investing in property/stocks

My CEO wears a Seiko quartz, the Chairman wears a ancient Omega.

Who says watches are important for status? Its whats in your brains, not on your wrist

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »
All very good points.

Danny,
I am always well aware of the environment i am going to be in and wear my watch accordingly.
Example i wont ever wear my SD when i go mamak with my friends at night. Sometimes i dont even wear a watch also.

The solid gold watch Chris pointed out to me price is too tempting to pass but still considering and how often can i wear it.

I think my boss dont care much either cause he knows each person has different priorities and interest in life. He spends all his money on food and long distance phone calls back home and i on watches.
My boss still drives a 1st gen Proton Wira with 240k on the odo and says he will not change until it reaches 300k. Thats his principle. The car is 14yrs old i think.

gold value keep going 2011 according to guru.... bcoz of euro may fall, usd will continue to fall... demand of gold in china increase alot... and mayb war in korea....

so go go go... buy gold watch! :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Broleo

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 12:27:57 PM »
different ppl different priority,

My boss is into watch but his concentration on those watch-maker brand. He is one of the older member here as well  ;D

He is the one who taught me about watches and what is a WIS :Laughing_on_floor:

So if i were to buy something new, we normally share the stories of the brand of watches

cheers

Offline sshark

« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2011, 12:47:42 PM »
My bozz buys and wears what he likes. Same for me. If he gonna wear a casio all his life, do i have to limit myself to casio only?

Offline jacky8888

• Global Moderator
  • More than meets the eye
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2011, 01:35:49 PM »
my boss wears a complimentary watch from citibank when he applied for the credit card....  ;D
Jacky Wong

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2011, 02:13:48 PM »
different ppl different priority,
My boss is into watch but his concentration on those watch-maker brand. He is one of the older member here as well  ;D
He is the one who taught me about watches and what is a WIS :Laughing_on_floor:
So if i were to buy something new, we normally share the stories of the brand of watches
cheers

who is ur boss?

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2011, 02:14:52 PM »
My bozz buys and wears what he likes. Same for me. If he gonna wear a casio all his life, do i have to limit myself to casio only?

bro, u dunno how to change boss n change job?

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2011, 02:17:52 PM »
my boss wears a casio ;D

Offline sshark

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 02:34:10 PM »

bro, u dunno how to change boss n change job?

after working for a while, all bozz are similar... as far as job.. i love my job... so had to live with it. btw, my big big kwai loh bozz wears a Exp2 white. I think i am the only person in the company tat crazy abt watches.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 02:52:16 PM »
go and posion your kwai loh bozz more ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:53:19 PM »
My boss when I was working don't wear watch. How?

Offline sshark

« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 03:00:01 PM »
So you stop working and ur bozz would wear his watch.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 03:43:39 PM »
If you think about it, if our boss wears a RM500k watch, we will think that we are underpaid and would demand higher wages. So it might just all be smokescreens to look poor. :Laughing_on_floor:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline JPSP

« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2011, 03:46:30 PM »
my boss wears a fake rolex sub and owns a real omega seamaster..he proudly showed me his A1 rolex replica bought in china once, we examined the quality, laughed at it... :Laughing_on_floor:

yes he knows i love watches and doesn't mind at all..in fact, he even asks me to let him try on for fun...i've not had any bosses who cared about what their staff wear..