Author Topic: My Thought!!!  (Read 18216 times)

Offline wslee

My Thought!!!
« on: September 07, 2011, 07:47:06 PM »
This afternoon i was talking to a friend of mine saying that i wanted to buy Panerai,He said are out of your mind. I said why not if i really like and have the money. He said why waste money on buying the original instead can get a swiss replica

He told me many Dato,Tan Sri and VIP also bought replica watch. He said do u really think they all buy original. Of course who would dare to question the genuineness of the watch consider the person is someone respected in the society. I noted that and think if i buy original,would people think that the watch i bought was original. Perhaps may not be the case as i'm a normal folks work 9-5 office job and drives a MYVI.

This goes into my mind,does it matter if u buy original or replica. If you are rich,who care if you use a replica. Everyone will still think that it is a genuine. We were told not to judge a book by its cover but in reality,most of us do.

Just a thought that i had after i having a conversation with my friend.

NOTES:I DO NOT ENCOURAGE PEOPLE TO BUY REPLICA WATCH 

Offline G.MAC

Re: My Thought!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2011, 08:00:52 PM »
Your friend is not a WIS that is why his opinion is like that. A non-WIS always a) buy a watch to please others b) bothers what others think about their watch and c) consider a replica and an original to be similiar or maybe even the AAA grade to be the same. Please dont be influenced by them. If you are rich and wear a replica, it doesnt matter because that is their choice. It is all about your own choice and what you feel comfortable with. If a replica can satisfy their fancy then that is too bad.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline peanut

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 08:01:21 PM »
This is pretty much a personal belief and philosophy.  I think if you want to buy a replica Patek and makes people think that you are a rich a$$hole, then I understand.  But for most of us in this forum, we appreciate the effort, the attention to details to create a thing of beauty.  I appreciate my watch as a fine piece of jewelry too.  This is regardless of the income level and social status. 

In short, if you buy things just to show off, it doesn't really matter much whether is original or fake because you would not appreciate the original anyway.  But if you use and appreciate what the original offers you, then you will get the original.

Similarly, one can buy a Leica M9 but if you don't use or appreciate what a M9 can do, might as well get an Olympus. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 08:09:18 PM »
1. if a replica makes you happy, then go for it by all means.

2. if you buy a real one and people around you think it's fake, be happy because no one will want to chop your hand off

in our society, too many people are too conscious of status. what to wear and what to drive and where to live and where to eat. be yourself and do what makes you happy. if your friends laugh at you for wanting to have a real Panerai, find someone else who thinks like you to talk to about watches.

and to those who are happy to wear replicas, i'm not sorry for them either. they made the smart choice of not spending ridiculous amounts of money on a _watch_ !!

Offline sshark

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 08:31:02 PM »
For people who wear a rolex for the sake of wearing a rolex there is nothing much to discuss. We wear a watch to please ourselves, to experience its quality. Even when a fake watch has superb quality u cant conclude that brand is good. And in all cases, the original is better than fake. If that is not the case, then the manufacturer shld be doing something else.

Offline mechanics

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 10:03:32 PM »
its a question of whether u appreciate such items
just like music cds....i dont buy pirated copies bcoz they dont sound nice, but d fakes cost rm5 & d real one cost rm50

there r also ppl driving BMW/Merz using cheapo tyres....they useoem parts n all......all in the name of face value

so its entirely on d individual himself to decide upon what to buy...

many frens hv mentioned d same thing to me...some of them even spend 1k to buy AAA replica Rolex....heck he had the same model as mine..when we sat down to compare.....just the built quality n finishing is not comparable....no doubt it had an ETA based engine....wat they proclaimed, d movement was just not as refined.

he ended up giving away his replica and started to buy genuine....

if u r a true watch lover, u wont think replicas

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:47 PM »

He told me many Dato,Tan Sri and VIP also bought replica watch. He said do u really think they all buy original. Of course who would dare to question the genuineness of the watch consider the person is someone respected in the society. I noted that and think if i buy original,would people think that the watch i bought was original. Perhaps may not be the case as i'm a normal folks work 9-5 office job and drives a MYVI.

This goes into my mind,does it matter if u buy original or replica. If you are rich,who care if you use a replica. Everyone will still think that it is a genuine. We were told not to judge a book by its cover but in reality,most of us do.

I had a boss, ex tin miner from Ipoh, who came back from an oversea trip, proudly showing a brand new gold Rolex and asking his friends to guess how much it costs.
Everyone was quoting 5 figures - this was back in 1982.  :shocked1:
One day, he told me in private that it was a fake which he bought in Petaling Street for less than RM100.  :laugh:
And then he told me this - people who haven't made it in society will always try to impress you with expensive stuffs, but if you are already established in society, even if you are wearing fakes, those who have the need to impress others will continue to 'angkat' you.
So today, I buy and wear what makes me feel good and that's all I care about.  :Cheers:
Take care, Ciao!  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 10:40:50 PM by bryankwc »
"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline patek8888

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 04:01:25 AM »
Depends on your own thoughts..... Just follow your heart. Original can kept value, and you are the only one who will wear it at the end. For me, I would buy original and wear it. How many ten year we will have? If you don't buy now when you wanna buy? The watch now is getting more and more expensive. Later Gov put some more what the hell tax, it will be more expensive some more.
YOu will feel the confident and honour when you wear original. What Dato and Datin..... most of them still have original watches. But in one of the incident, I spotted one of the Dato wear a fake AP royal Oak Offshore. He saw I am looking at his watch and he try to hide it. After 5 minutes he leave the event... thats call "rat got caught".

If you can afford to buy it, go ahead, you will never regret.

Patek Wong

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 05:08:43 AM »
many dato and tan sri wear fake???

but many many many many dato n tan sri i knew wear  genuine one

so how many is many?

my office got one dato wear real rolex datejust another datuk wear real pp
datuk lcw wear real gshock

1st lady likely wear real jacob ... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Sid Vicious

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 06:14:01 AM »
I think that bit of being caught out is rather true.

Caught out a dude here, retrospectively informed. No wonder he was so reluctant to let me have a look at is Rolex DJ. He was okay till I showed him my Sub hoping that he didn't think I wanted to rob him or anything  :P

I guess that's the problem with replicas, you may always be worried of getting caught out.

I've loved watches for a long time but only recently been able to get some of the more sought of watches on my wish list. Happy that I did. better that I can relate to others in MWF  :thumbsup:

So in esence just get what you like. You are only really competing with yourself :)
"You have enemies? Good! That means you stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Sir Winston Churchill

Offline peanut

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 08:03:08 AM »
Yeah.  I did encounter moments that some watch enthusiasts (whether friends, colleages or strangers) noticed my watch and began to ask questions about the watch.  This is the time that I have no fear showing them my watch  ;D

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 12:51:35 PM »
Your friend is not a WIS that is why his opinion is like that.

Pardon my noobness, your exellency, but what is WIS?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 01:10:54 PM by Watchnewby »

Offline genec

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 12:56:29 PM »
Your friend is not a WIS that is why his opinion is like that.

Pardon my noobness, youe exellency, but what is WIS?

copied from Timezone  ;)

Definitions of a Watch Idiot Savant [WIS]

Posted by LStone on June 03, 1998 at 23:38:47:

self trained to sleep in 5 positions with wearing his/her COSC certified chronometer in bed.
opens the back of a new Patek on the first day of acquisition and hand winds the rotor in tighten up the main spring.
takes the 200 meter water proof Seadweller off from the wrist and puts it into the deepest pocket before walking into a storm without any rain gear.
waits every 60 minute in front of a radio controlled clock all weekend in order to adjust all his/her 14 mechanical watches to the accuracy within -2/+2 seconds per 24 hours.
spends $500 plus on polish equipment and materials and works 20 hours in order to refinish a $200 worth SS bracelet.
has a annual budget of $500 on the purchase of a new watch and posts the question on the Timezone forum "which one is better? a Rolex or a TAG?"
wears a triple date chronograph with moon phase everyday, but cannot even tell time from the basic hour and minute hands on the dial without a pair of reading glasses.
memorizes all serial numbers of the Rolex watches made in the past 60 years but keeps forgetting the wedding anniversary.
Regards,

LStone

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:58:24 PM »
Thank you sifu genec.
Learn sumthing new again.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 01:21:05 PM »
My take on the "fake"/replica watch topic :

To each its own.
I know a friend who swears by the replica watch. He said" No need to buy ori, wan. Everthing on yur wrist, nobody will perasaan, wan. They will think you buy the ori but you save money for other things - family, bills, girls, car, house etc"
For me, even though I get a quartz watch, at least it is ori lah, from reputable dealer or seller.

My fren is an avid replica collector; he has a Rolex Submariner (the world’s favourite replica), Rolex Explorer II, Panerai, and Omega blue Seamaster (used by Mr. “James Bond” Brosnan in the bond's movie). Among all, the Omega Seamaster fit the specification of the genuine as it uses the ETA 2824-2 ébouche as the base. The price was about 10% from the genuine price.
I did asked him of the Panerai, the ori cost rM13.5K - RM15K, he only got it at a fraction of the price. He asked me "Not bad huh?"
Well, I do not want to elaborate more.
Besides ETA replica, I was told there are different grades of replica, like using the japanese movement or the chinese/taiwan movement. I was told the ‘China ETA’ replicas which are very ‘inferior’ quality wise.
Also I noticed that, you can never get a 100% exact replica of the genuine watch but a grade A, AA or AAA type of replica.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 03:01:40 PM »
Like most of the members here, most of us are WIS, so we view differently, we buy original to shiok sendiri, not others. Just like car, of course they cant hide, die die also modify the Wira become Evo, so if you tell them very ugly la, they will tell you, just to satisfy themselves since they can't effort the real Evo, if you dont like it, no one force you to see the car. :thumbsup:

I salute those who wear replica, when ask them, they tell you straight up "I wear replica, so what? What is so great about original"  :thumbsup:

But not those who wear replica but insist they wear the real one or quickly hide the watch  :thumbsdown:

just my 21 cents, I am not promoting replica watch

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline sshark

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 03:30:33 PM »

Also I noticed that, you can never get a 100% exact replica of the genuine watch but a grade A, AA or AAA type of replica.

if 100% exact i.e. meaning down to the minute details, the price would be the more or less as the original watch, then why bother?? :)

Offline peanut

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 04:15:45 PM »
I salute those who wear replica, when ask them, they tell you straight up "I wear replica, so what? What is so great about original"  :thumbsup:
However, if it were me, I would rather wear a more original but cheaper watch instead of a AAA grade replica.  I wear my al-cheapo Seiko DiscBurger every now and then and I feel great.  Who says style has to be expensive?  If you got lots of money, buy the Patek or similar.  If not, there are some interesting Seiko or others that are good watches that wont break your bank.

Wearing a replica and admitting that it is a replica also indicates: a) the need to "show off"  b) the lack of originality

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2011, 04:27:48 PM »

Bro Siodee's few sens are adding up fast.  :thumbsup:
 :Dancing_banana: :Jumping: :Dancing_banana: :Jumping: :Dancing_banana: :Jumping:
"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline wslee

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2011, 11:30:26 PM »
I agree with most of what you all said. Is individual preference. Wearing an original watch,you can wear with a sense of pride but with Replica watch,chances are you will be hiding your watch.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 05:42:26 AM »
there are some idiots who buy "AAA" pam and then spend close to 1k on a Ted Su strap. What's the bloody point?! might as well save the money and get a real pam instead. Atleast you can still keep the watch as an heirloom and pass it on to your next of kin

could you imagine if you buy a replica and on your death bed..you utter to your son "Aku wasiatkan Panerai "AAA" replica-ku serta strap Ammo Ted Su pada kau" ...mana ada gaya kan?

your kids would be like "tiuz......ingatkan atleast would pick up a piece of gold but...rupa-rupanya picked up a piece of turd instead"
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline brolex

• Why so serious?
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 06:38:50 AM »

could you imagine if you buy a replica and on your death bed..you utter to your son "Aku wasiatkan Panerai "AAA" replica-ku serta strap Ammo Ted Su pada kau" ...mana ada gaya kan?

your kids would be like "tiuz......ingatkan atleast would pick up a piece of gold but...rupa-rupanya picked up a piece of turd instead"

Fortunately I place high sentimental value for gifts by loved ones.  :thumbsup:

Your Malay seems polished... might I suggest the title Si Tanggang from the classic Malay archipelago folklore literature  ;D
So, in the nutshell, the finer things in life does not have to be the most expensive or exotic item or place one could have.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 12:03:16 PM »
there are some idiots who buy "AAA" pam and then spend close to 1k on a Ted Su strap. What's the bloody point?! might as well save the money and get a real pam instead. Atleast you can still keep the watch as an heirloom and pass it on to your next of kin

it isn't really nice to call people who buy or wear replicas and put on expensive straps idiots. they might call people who buy original watches fools for spending such sums on Rolex and then putting it on a cheap bands. i think to each his own.

Offline patek8888

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 12:31:20 PM »
many dato and tan sri wear fake???

but many many many many dato n tan sri i knew wear  genuine one

so how many is many?

my office got one dato wear real rolex datejust another datuk wear real pp
datuk lcw wear real gshock

1st lady likely wear real jacob ... :Laughing_on_floor:

Hahaha, I like your comment..... Make me feel happy Thanks.
Patek Wong

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 01:07:55 PM »
Like most of the members here, most of us are WIS, so we view differently, we buy original to shiok sendiri, not others. Just like car, of course they cant hide, die die also modify the Wira become Evo, so if you tell them very ugly la, they will tell you, just to satisfy themselves since they can't effort the real Evo, if you dont like it, no one force you to see the car. :thumbsup:

But not those who wear replica but insist they wear the real one or quickly hide the watch  :thumbsdown:

Agree 100%.