Author Topic: WIS Brand?  (Read 3037 times)

Offline c4all

WIS Brand?
« on: October 11, 2021, 10:20:23 AM »
I am always curious on one thing. Does owning a brand like Ball, Sinn, Certina, Jaeger LeCoultre or Glashutte Original mean that the owner is a WIS? Although some of these brands can be considered to be in the mainstream i.e Ball, there is still not that much discussion and exposure on these brands amongst entrants into the hobby. Would people have to be informed before owning watches from these brands or that there are other factors (design, movement etc) resulting in these brands not getting the exposure they deserve?

Offline G.MAC

Re: WIS Brand?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 12:54:41 PM »
My opinion on the matter is that it is highly likely that people got different preferences when or different reasons for coming into this hobby. Ten years ago, forum members collect and discuss on watches from these brands quite regularly. In recent times, discussion shift towards other brands exclusively such that these brands become overlooked locally. Would I say that owners of these brands are WIS? I would say that they could possibly be more passionate about watches collecting such that they are willing to loosen their purse strings and consider these brands. Are they WIS exclusively? Unlikely.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline swleong

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 03:13:03 PM »
Personally I don't think there are really any "WIS brands". WIS is just somebody who are passionate and knowledgeable about watches. WIS can own and discuss any watches range from RM to Casio. 

MWF used to be THE WIS forum locally, however with the booming of social medias recent years, people no longer discuss about watches anymore.

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 08:37:47 AM »
It doesn't really matter if you're a WIS or not - (who really cares?).  As long as you like the watch, that's all that matters. I have moved from owning Rolex/JLCs to G-Shocks/Seikos due to changing interests.  It's all good!

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 12:03:33 PM »
It doesn't really matter if you're a WIS or not - (who really cares?).  As long as you like the watch, that's all that matters. I have moved from owning Rolex/JLCs to G-Shocks/Seikos due to changing interests.  It's all good!

This is a rather interesting transition really. If u don't mind, out of curiosity,  what brought about this shift from west to east?

- preference changing over time to jap offerings/style more than swiss?
- change towards more affordable watches? (hence can buy more of them? we all know cheap doesn't mean less money spent  ;D)
- more practical/minimal/no maintenance cost? (some watches are practically disposable)
- security/safety concern?
- cashing out on the present lolek hype?
- Hans Wilsdorf doesn't do Naruto/One-Piece/Street Fighter crossovers?

Do u also go for other Jap releases like Asaoka, Minase etc.?

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2021, 12:23:36 PM »

This is a rather interesting transition really. If u don't mind, out of curiosity,  what brought about this shift from west to east?

- preference changing over time to jap offerings/style more than swiss?
- change towards more affordable watches? (hence can buy more of them? we all know cheap doesn't mean less money spent  ;D)
- more practical/minimal/no maintenance cost? (some watches are practically disposable)
- security/safety concern?
- cashing out on the present lolek hype?
- Hans Wilsdorf doesn't do Naruto/One-Piece/Street Fighter crossovers?

Do u also go for other Jap releases like Asaoka, Minase etc.?

Good question! I had to think a little before answering as my shift has been an organic one, rather than a focused push to eastern makes.  Before i actually sold off the Sub and Reverso, i had found myself not wearing them for long periods of time and it came to a point where i had to force myself to wear them. I also found myself not wearing watches at all so it could partly be a waning interest in watches overall.  I don't like keeping stuff that i don't use so it was a simple decision to sell both watches.  Couple of months later unfortunately, with a big wad of cash burning a hole in my pocket, i started to look into eastern watches and ended up with the G-Shocks.....long winded answer sorry!  Who knows, maybe i'll end up back into Rolex territory down the road......(full disclosure i still have my Rolex Explorer II gifted to me by my Dad so that will never be sold).

Finally, yes i am enjoying immensely the fact that my G-Shocks need never be wound or adjusted!

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2021, 05:28:14 PM »
Good stuff!  :thumbsup:

That's a fair point, tastes and wearing habits will evolve over time. And it really is very liberating to just slap on a g-shock n not having to worry about it at all.