Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61056 times)

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #325 on: October 04, 2021, 04:12:27 PM »
I noticed something interesting recently. While mucking about in a local shopping mall, I decided to just drop into a grey dealer to take a look. Upon asking about OPs, they said they don't carry them at all since the price has gone high enough that they have become prohibitive, no longer worth the trouble of procuring or stocking them. Seems now they focus only on professional models, as far as SS watches r concerned.

I find this and interesting revelation - a grey dealer finding rollies too expensive (albeit oyster perpetual la but still)

Offline dpkong

« Reply #326 on: October 04, 2021, 06:31:25 PM »
I noticed something interesting recently. While mucking about in a local shopping mall, I decided to just drop into a grey dealer to take a look. Upon asking about OPs, they said they don't carry them at all since the price has gone high enough that they have become prohibitive, no longer worth the trouble of procuring or stocking them. Seems now they focus only on professional models, as far as SS watches r concerned.

I find this and interesting revelation - a grey dealer finding rollies too expensive (albeit oyster perpetual la but still)

It only means the middleman holding the stock is asking a price higher than what the grey dealer can realistically sell it for.. ie. bubble too big..

Whoever bought those OPs at 3x retail had better really love them..

Smooth steel bezels and funky colors?? I for one don't but the woman does..  :Scolding:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #327 on: October 04, 2021, 07:28:55 PM »
OP's are going at ridiculous prices...esp since the "Power Rangers" series haha (no offense to any who own one) - but I really think no one is really buying at those 2x-3x price tags...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #328 on: October 04, 2021, 08:42:19 PM »
OP's are going at ridiculous prices...esp since the "Power Rangers" series haha (no offense to any who own one) - but I really think no one is really buying at those 2x-3x price tags...

It's those buyers who got the watches from AD and trying to offload to grey market that are asking the high prices..

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #329 on: October 04, 2021, 10:34:00 PM »

No need for apologies, Power Rangers is very civil indeed. Me I'd just call them the Pokémon series  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #330 on: October 05, 2021, 10:02:05 AM »

No need for apologies, Power Rangers is very civil indeed. Me I'd just call them the Pokémon series  :Laughing_on_floor:

LOL

And because so many are now floating out there in the market, some dealers I noticed start to jack up certain models up to RM70k+ for certain colours just so that the other colours seem more "reasonable" in the RM45k+ range - leveraging on the unassuming-FOMO-stricken speculators! (which in fact, is still 2x the RSP)

And these are the entry models that Rolex will produce much more than the other Professional Models = equates to higher risk of bubble-bursting action.

:HammerHead:

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #331 on: October 05, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »

It only means the middleman holding the stock is asking a price higher than what the grey dealer can realistically sell it for.. ie. bubble too big..

Whoever bought those OPs at 3x retail had better really love them..

Smooth steel bezels and funky colors?? I for one don't but the woman does..  :Scolding:

There is no more middlemen (rare) years ago , now AD directly ‘backdoor’ the pieces to grey…

The biggest cut goes to the AD…while grey gets a slimmer slice…

They played the good cop and bad cop…
« Last Edit: October 05, 2021, 12:12:19 PM by Gentlemen101 »

Offline ExplorerII

« Reply #332 on: October 12, 2021, 08:55:29 AM »
everything needs to correct eventually including the Rolex prices, in order to go higher.  The correction will be welcome as it will allow more folks to finally own a Rolex, which will in turn spur demand and push things higher.  i dream of the day where i can walk into an AD again and find the whole Sports line there for the choosing (this is how i bought my Sub).  :Cheers:

Offline mister_lau

• Freshie
« Reply #333 on: December 24, 2021, 05:42:11 AM »
Found this on a Rolex group

https://ibb.co/k23zMWy

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: December 24, 2021, 10:18:11 AM by mister_lau »

Offline Squirty

• Freshie
« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2022, 11:50:34 AM »
3 years passed from the original post and it looks like we are going through another correction.

Its funny to see how 3 years ago we were balking at the price of the SS Hulk going for 60k+ . Now the asking price for that piece is at least a 100k. how times have changed.

5-10 years back someone wearing a 100k watch was a sight to behold. In todays world, a 100k watch is just a colored sub  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline VMok

« Reply #335 on: March 17, 2022, 12:49:13 PM »
The price now just means that this topic is a wrong one

Offline Cocas

« Reply #336 on: March 23, 2022, 09:09:11 AM »
when mainland Chinese starts slowing in buying Rolex. The Rolex price-drop is inevitable.

Hong Kong is a key Rolex market and the sales are seriously affected by the prolonged riots.

We should be able to see a lot more pre-owned pieces price come down sharply by Q1 2020.

My prediction is totally wrong  :o

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #337 on: March 23, 2022, 12:13:42 PM »
when mainland Chinese starts slowing in buying Rolex. The Rolex price-drop is inevitable.

Hong Kong is a key Rolex market and the sales are seriously affected by the prolonged riots.

We should be able to see a lot more pre-owned pieces price come down sharply by Q1 2020.

Dont be too hard on yourself. Pandemic was a giant curve ball.  :-\

Offline dpkong

« Reply #338 on: March 23, 2022, 06:36:56 PM »

and then we realise the people who sank were those floating on a mountain of credit...

and the rich basically were not affected..

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #339 on: March 24, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »

and then we realise the people who sank were those floating on a mountain of credit...

and the rich basically were not affected..

Those with continued income through the pandemic will have been able to save more, hence more spending power for luxury items. That's probably a major reason for this craze for Rolexes, AP, Patek...even handbags.  :Confused:

Offline vans1088

« Reply #340 on: March 24, 2022, 09:53:09 PM »
Just noticed the Exp2 retailing at almost 20k more than RRP. Once upon a time it was the least desired of the bunch

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #341 on: March 25, 2022, 07:49:22 AM »
Just noticed the Exp2 retailing at almost 20k more than RRP. Once upon a time it was the least desired of the bunch

In watch community world, in my opinion Rolex market won't down because there's simply not enough "WATCHMAKERS" to produce those watches. Rolex can only produce approximately 1 million watches a year, the demand simply supersedes the actual supply. They says just make more watches but it is not that easy. People seem to not realise that "WATCHMAKING" is a dying breed, meaning that there's a lot of "WATCHMAKER" very old and someone of them are retiring. There's a small pool of new "WATCHMAKER" coming in, but how much of these new "WATCHMAKERS" are qualified or good enough to actually go into the luxury watch industry? To give you an idea all these luxury brands are all fishing in the same pool of "WATCHMAKERS".

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #342 on: March 25, 2022, 08:47:28 AM »

In watch community world, in my opinion Rolex market won't down because there's simply not enough "WATCHMAKERS" to produce those watches. Rolex can only produce approximately 1 million watches a year, the demand simply supersedes the actual supply. They says just make more watches but it is not that easy. People seem to not realise that "WATCHMAKING" is a dying breed, meaning that there's a lot of "WATCHMAKER" very old and someone of them are retiring. There's a small pool of new "WATCHMAKER" coming in, but how much of these new "WATCHMAKERS" are qualified or good enough to actually go into the luxury watch industry? To give you an idea all these luxury brands are all fishing in the same pool of "WATCHMAKERS".

I agree that it is not that easy to increase production just like that. Also, the economic perception may work against them.

In fact, Rolex already produced an all time high of 1,050,000 in 2021 - and they enjoy a 29% market share of the swiss watch market. Omega who was previously no2 slipped to no3 - they produce around 600k watches annually only (barring the upcoming MOONSWATCH  ;D)

So yea, it aint easy to just flick a switch to increase production. And Rolex is basking in the hype.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #343 on: March 29, 2022, 02:29:36 PM »
So I heard from a friend who try to sell his watch to the grey and they refuse to accept or buy any watches at the moment, the grey are holding a lot of stocks?

Offline ray6969

• Freshie
« Reply #344 on: March 29, 2022, 03:51:57 PM »
So I heard from a friend who try to sell his watch to the grey and they refuse to accept or buy any watches at the moment, the grey are holding a lot of stocks?

Your "friends" is a kaki scalper or Professional flipper? or upgrade your current timepieces to others?

regarding about your question, maybe "grey market" can reply.  ;) :) ;D

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #345 on: March 29, 2022, 09:05:37 PM »

This is true IMO too, but mostly from “smaller” dealers - especially those who have recently mushroom-ed during the pandemic. Those that are more established will still take in, but perhaps at conservative prices. I know because I asked a few dealers for a friend’s R-brand. I didnt bother asking for any of mine since none for sale.

Many speculators are waiting for new releases from W&W - so when not many end-users actually buy from the grey dealers, stock is somewhat stagnant/ doesnt move as fast. Hence the slight dip in secondary market prices. But once the new releases are out - FOMO strikes. Then it’s anybody’s guess.

Offline hmkpwatches

« Reply #346 on: March 29, 2022, 10:49:19 PM »
Alot of dealers stuck with overinflated stock from the cny boom. Until expo is over and we have more clarity it's all up in the air which will boom and which won't which prob leads to abit of uncertainty in what dealers buy and sell now

Offline justinbaka

« Reply #347 on: March 31, 2022, 08:15:24 PM »
I believe many were trading by speculating which models are going to be discontinued/revamped/refreshed etc. So prices would probably stabilised soon..

Offline W3ll

« Reply #348 on: April 01, 2022, 05:35:54 AM »
Alot of dealers stuck with overinflated stock from the cny boom. Until expo is over and we have more clarity it's all up in the air which will boom and which won't which prob leads to abit of uncertainty in what dealers buy and sell now

You are right. Grey are openly sharing in their live that they are making loss in most of the pieces.

Offline swleong

« Reply #349 on: April 01, 2022, 10:57:14 AM »

You are right. Grey are openly sharing in their live that they are making loss in most of the pieces.

Grey dealers said they are making loss in most of their pieces? Gonna screen shot their live videos and paste in "What A Joke!" section.  :Laughing_on_floor: