Author Topic: Junghans  (Read 67762 times)

Offline JeffNg

• Freshie
Junghans
« on: August 13, 2013, 10:14:46 AM »
Hie, Would like to know your opinion on junghans watches and brand name. They have one of the best classic simple design in my opinion but I'm not sure the price is too expensive for the brand.

Offline takashi78

Re: Junghans
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 01:31:02 PM »
Price is a very personal thing and only you yourself can answer if that watch is "worth" that asking.

What seems cheap to you may be A LOT to others.

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 03:35:13 PM »
Just a Brief Intro of Junghans the German watch Brand

The company start business at the year of 1861 in Germany Schramberg

At year of 1903 Junghans is the world largest clock maker, majority of the resident of Schramberg is working for Junghans

Junghans become the World 3rd largest chronometer producer after Rolex and Omega at year 1956

The infamous Max Bill student of Bauhaus designed the watch for Junghans at year 1960's the design is still available in today production. can go to http://originalmaxbilljunghans.blogspot.com/2013/05/a-short-guide-original-max-bill.html to know more about maxbill

Junghans become the only German brand that become the Olympic Official time keeper at year 1972

Then Junghans switched their focus to Radio Control technology during the Quartz Crisis (whereas a lot of other brand actually forced to shutdown or joined SWATCH group), they had survived and come out the world 1st radio control wrist watch.

At year of 2000 the company had sold off to Egana Gropius HK based company and faces insolvency at year 2008.

Today the Junghans is owned by the Schramberg Steim Family (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans-Jochem_Steim), which also own manufactory that produces and supplies springs to Junghans when Junghans are producing their in-house movement during 1950s.
The Carl Haas Blued Hair Spring in Junghans 150 Anniversary Limited Edition Chronometer

Whereas the company is lead by Mr. Matthias Stotz who graduated as a master watch maker, with strong financial position and clear direction they are growing steadily, they now cut off collection that are not within their Corporate Identity (example like attache, diplomat etc) and start reducing the production of quartz watches.
The Attache which looks a lot like IWC portugese had phase out

They are the very few watch brand that has the "real" stories and still able to survive as independent.

Thanks for the time..you are paying for a German Watch brand that has got the heritage and originality, even today the company still produces watches at place where they started the businesses.

The Terraced Building built at year 1917/1918

It remains until today

Year 2013 they annouced the Meister Kalender collection:
and they are now focusing on the Meister Collection as this is the real DNA of Junghans

Hope this able to provide you more information about Junghans  :thumbsup:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 03:54:46 PM »
TJ,

What manual wind movements does the Max Bill use in the photo above?

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 04:31:12 PM »
The first batch of Max Bill is equipped with in-house J84 (produced during 1955~1967), which are the last few in-house movement produced by Junghans.

The last movement produced by Junghans is J85 during (produced during 1961~1967) and at this period of time Junghans had already started supplementing the watches with ETA, Valjoux, Buren and other manufacturer. Until year 1976 Junghans had stop the entire production of mechanical watches. Thus the older batch of Max Bill might using ETA movement as well.

The most obivious way to ID the Junghans movement is looking at the shock absorber. :thumbsup:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
Its a real pity that their in house movement is not produced anymore.
Sad to think they can do it before but not now.

Hope they can revive their movements since a lot are going back to this route with ETA situation now.

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 12:40:24 PM »
Thank you TJWN, I learned a lot from your post.

Now I look at Junghans in a totally different perspective.

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »
There' are still a lot of Junghans stories to be tell....
There are two books that has got most the stories of Junghans covered.

The Watch Time (In English, please let me know if you guys are interested to have one of this  :Cheers:)

The 150th Anniversary Book (In German, is a very thick book  ;D)

Offline cheelun

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
TJ, why is Max Bill 'infamous'?

Regards,

Offline Everdying

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »
i have that watchtime special on junghans.
not sure why i bought my max bill tho, as its a watch that i dont find many occassions to wear :P

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 07:52:15 AM »
TJ, why is Max Bill 'infamous'?
Regards,

Max Bill is known for his Max Bill by Junghans collection in watch industry. However, in terms of architecture design and politics, he had done things differently from the others, he had contributed a lot to today's modern architecture design which was not common at that time. And in-terms of political he is actually an anti-fascist, Max Bill life is full of stories and not just designing a watch for Junghans. 

could go to http://www.maxbillfilm.ch/filme/001/txt_02_en.php to read the sypnosis on the documentary:Max Bill – the master’s vision

;)

Offline JeffNg

• Freshie
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2013, 03:22:40 PM »
That's very informative. Thanks a lot. Meaning now all junghans is eta based movement?

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
Very cool watches. Btw bro, u still in BV? Was there last week and thought of dropping in and say hello.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2013, 03:45:48 PM »
That's very informative. Thanks a lot. Meaning now all junghans is eta based movement?

Hope you enjoy reading about Junghans :D

As for now, Junghans has got 4 collection for the Mechanical watches

Junghans Meister: ETA based and Soprod A10 (Chronometer)
Max Bill by Junghans: ETA based
Bogner by Junghans: ETA based
Erhard Junghans: base on Grand Seiko for the non-chrono model, for chrono it's base on 6S37
Limited Editon Erhard Junghans: In-house movement but limited to 12 pcs each model (only 2 model)

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2013, 03:48:55 PM »
Very cool watches. Btw bro, u still in BV? Was there last week and thought of dropping in and say hello.

I am now relocated at Marc Residence, facing computer more than watches now....haha
Its been a long time we dint meet after the annual gathering.

you could pay a visit even without me at there :Dancing_banana:

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2013, 11:03:51 AM »
Thanks for the post and pics. Super nice! Makes me like them even more now.  :Cheers:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline wealthbowl

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 07:46:38 AM »
Recently dropped by one of the shop at Bangsar Village (selling a few German branded watches) - managed to try on some Junghans' watches. The finishing of the watches are amazing, and it feels different when it is put on the wrist as compared to viewing it from pictures. The Meister Chronoscope (40-41mm) was my favourite.

Some of the date-just designs, like the Meister Classic, are stunning but made 38-39mm - which may be a bit small for some.

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2013, 08:26:38 AM »
Thats what the german do..preserve the original and traditional design..  :D

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2013, 09:13:31 PM »

Hope you enjoy reading about Junghans :D

As for now, Junghans has got 4 collection for the Mechanical watches

Junghans Meister: ETA based and Soprod A10 (Chronometer)
Max Bill by Junghans: ETA based
Bogner by Junghans: ETA based
Erhard Junghans: base on Grand Seiko for the non-chrono model, for chrono it's base on 6S37
Limited Editon Erhard Junghans: In-house movement but limited to 12 pcs each model (only 2 model)

Superb finishing

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 08:42:17 AM »
Found this quite bad-@ss side of Junghans Max Bill :laugh:

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2013, 03:59:19 PM »
The Willy Bogner Collection:
Who is Willy Bogner???

Willy Bogner GmbH & Co. KGaA, with its headquarters in Munich, is an internationally successful lifestyle company and leading provider of exclusive sports fashion, luxurious sportswear and designer fashion. Bogner has been the official outfitter of the German Winter Olympics team for 75 years and for the German team in London in summer 2012 for the first time

The company employs over 700 staff worldwide and in 2009/10 generated a turnover of 194 million euros in over 30 countries. The company which has existed since 1932 is managed by the managing director and majority shareholder, Willy Bogner, the son of the founder.

He is the cameraman in a few James Bond Movie:
Her Majesty's Secret Service, The Spy Who Loved Me, For Your Eyes Only and A View to a Kill

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 04:48:35 PM »
Unique pusher

Offline TJWN

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2013, 03:49:53 PM »
The Meister Chronometer

This model pay tributes to the origins of Junghans as the world 3rd largest chronometer producer during year 1950's. equipped with movement derived from Soprod A10, using Carl Haas hair spring where Carl Haas is the under the same parent company of Junghans, could consider a "in-house" spring :P

Offline bezelnut

« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2013, 04:37:26 PM »
The Meister Chronometer

This model pay tributes to the origins of Junghans as the world 3rd largest chronometer producer during year 1950's. equipped with movement derived from Soprod A10, using Carl Haas hair spring where Carl Haas is the under the same parent company of Junghans, could consider a "in-house" spring :P

Love the clean design & tapered case, also love the long dauphine hand, almost touching the case.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2013, 11:40:11 PM »
One of 2 Junghans I have, the other being a Archimede Pilot Original Limited Edition, fitted with a vintage Junghans movement.
these pics were taken when I first got the watch earlier..

Erhard Junghans Aerious with the excellent and further re-finished by Junghans Seiko calibre 6S37 column wheel chrono

« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:12:49 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.