Author Topic: When 40mm is not big enough :P  (Read 9389 times)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
When 40mm is not big enough :P
« on: May 11, 2010, 04:06:41 PM »
 After owning a Pam, every watch under 44mm is kinda underwhelming. This oversized clock on the wrist is getting out of hand.

Wanted to try out a 14060 so badly after looking at all the beautiful pics on the web. Even had a photo of it as my wallpaper. so i trod down a pre-owned shop today and tried it on the wrist. the build quality is great as a Rolex should be but the size was a bit underwhelming not to mention the weight too.

The same can be said about my colleague's SD that i tried on the other day. the SEL bracelet's weight was not that significant when compared to the non SEL bracelet of the 14060.

Anyone where having this over-sized syndrome? is it ever hard going back to anything smaller than a 40mm?

Is it true of what they said about...Once you go Pam, you'll never go back?  :Laughing_on_floor: think the same can be said about Pam Anderson too... once you had her...everything seems and feels smaller.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
Re: When 40mm is not big enough :P
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 04:36:28 PM »
i am disagree on this.....i always prefer 40mm or less bcos i have a tiny palm which can fully handle Pam or Pam Anderson.... and she is artificial product not original... :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:11:37 PM »
Why not consider DSSD? 44mm too  :Cheers:

That's why i love the DSSD a lot one reason because of it's size and ceramic bezel + date and no magnifying glass  :thumbsup:

At first, i wasn't into DSSD at all because i thought the bracelet is too thin and narrow to handle this oversize case (diameter and thickness) but surprisingly comfortable after you have sized it right to fit your wrist.

my DSSD and CK's PAM312...almost same size..

Offline peanut

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 06:25:30 PM »
This is very much depends on individual.  Personally, I like dressy/vintage/classic watches to be around 40-42mm.  I am perfectly fine with my Blancpain and Glashutte in 40mm.  But for weekend/casual/sport watches, I don't mind to have them big.  I do feel that the 40mm Lolex sport watches is a bit small for me.   ;D

Big watches have more presence and attract attention but then if the finishing is bad, design is not coherent, movement is not reliable, then there is no point.  BTW, I hope your non-tourbillion PAM is not affected by gravity as much as Pamela Anderson's when they age!   :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:29:16 PM by peanut »

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 07:02:24 PM »
PAM anderson's boobs is like my PAM..you can't turn back the time/age but you can certainly wind it back UP! :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 07:48:55 PM »
And I can do hot to both...40mm and....38"?.....

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline sshark

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 09:12:28 PM »
I am ok with 40mm, 44mm and 46mm.. but not less than 40mm.

Offline k33lin

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 04:49:37 AM »

Rrr... Scott, I miss DSSD soooooo much!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:42:30 AM »
Am i the only person who doesnt love PAM?
Well i bought a homage early this year and the luminor case dont speak to me as much, ended up selling it.
Oh well at least i didnt spend for a real PAM.
I do however like the radiomir case much more.
Lucky now except for my black seal homage all my watches are 42mm and below.
Have no problem wearing my Exp1 everyday haha

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:30:13 AM »
Peter - I with you when it comes to Pam. IMO, it did not justify to pay $$ for a decorated 6497 manual winding.
Anyway, as time goes by, finding 44mm - bulky and uncomfortable for daily / occassional wear.

Having said that, I find 34 - 40mm is comfy in the long run.

I did have a homage (or two) and its actually wear out on me. My 36mm datejust suit me fine as an everyday watch.

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 09:50:10 AM »
I am aiming for the 39mm Exp1 le... i think, honestly, 40mm is actually OK... even 36mm is fine too ... (Danny must be looking at me with his rolling eye and having doubt on me saying so... kakakakka)

44mm oversize is trendy la... like U-Boat, Graham, BP, etc... Personally, i don't bother if it's for dress watch or for play or casual, as long as i feel wearing then i will do so... just my opinion la... what i mean is, i don't put down label for my watches which is for dressy and which is for casual or for weekend...

:Cheers:
scott

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 09:59:02 AM »
Rrr... Scott, I miss DSSD soooooo much!

oKok... i will send you some picture :D
P/s: you still owe us your wrist shot  :Cheers:

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
Scott,New Exp 1 39mm > milgauss ?mm
A little bird says they are of the same price range?

Tell us more?

dc

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 12:22:40 PM »
i do believe it;s not the size that matters most but the size of the dial that plays tricks on the eyes.

i tried on a 39mm railmaster and it jsut looks nice and good. too bad about the MRSP. waiting for a nice pre owned to pop up. i am sure the 39mm ExpI would be great too but unless the rehash the hands sizes ..it would still look unpoportionate

as for the Submersibles and Subs..it wears smaller than a "full dialed" Pam because the dial looks so small. manage to try on a 243 the other day. although it sits higher and have a substantial weight to it.. it jsut looks smaller than my 112 because of the thicker bezel makes the small smaller. The regular submersibles have a "larger" presence.

same can be said about the subs when i tried it. my 857 feels bigger because of the larger numbers and slightly bigger dial eventhough it's roughly the same size. i just got used to a heavier watch.

would go to an AD and try on a DSSD. looks great on ya scott...
 :thumbsup:

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 12:34:19 PM »
i am sure the 39mm ExpI would be great too but unless the rehash the hands sizes ..it would still look unpoportionate

yes, yes!! I too waiting to see that... Takashi (Peter) pointed that too... Looks like they "reused" the old hand in this new exp1.....

Dave, the new exp1 is 1mm smaller then the current milgauss. The milgauss is 40mm if i'm not mistaken... as for the MSRP, i think about the same, i last heard it's around 19K MYR, nothing is firm but hopefully will not go over that price la...

Offline takashi78

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
I actually tried on the ND Sub pre COSC few weeks back and it actually wears kinda good.
With the uncluttered dial it wears larger than its stated 40mm.

I still remember my family members saying "wow thats a HUGE watch" when i wore my PAM homage on CNY.

Offline sshark

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 02:18:09 PM »
The watch will look bigger when the crystal is flushed to the edge.

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 08:25:03 PM »
Yes, I've found the solution to the 40mm problem.

An AP ROO!!! :Laughing_on_floor:

No thanks to James for poisoning all of us with his holy trinity.   :laugh:

Thank you James for being so generous in bringing out his toys for us. really great of you  :Cheers:

Offline sshark

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 09:51:10 PM »
Got me poisoned. That darken titanium AP really has the classy look yet sporty.

Dennis and I was talking in the train about the AP.......

Yes, I've found the solution to the 40mm problem.

An AP ROO!!! :Laughing_on_floor:

No thanks to James for poisoning all of us with his holy trinity.   :laugh:

Thank you James for being so generous in bringing out his toys for us. really great of you  :Cheers:

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 10:10:08 PM »
I was lucky that my wrist can't handle the AP well.. the strap is unable to bend down to cover my wrist (site) properly....see the hole and doesn't look OK at all... otherwise i'm dome or at least will get the AP RoyalOak dy (which i had ordered but turn down the deal)....

Honestly, i find AP a very sharp and good looking watch but watch-out the service or maintenance cost ya ;)  Not to mention PP yet  :P

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 10:16:38 PM »
So u decided u next target after seeing e AP ROO ar?? :Dancing_banana: I thk 3 of kena AP poison badly ard so shall we organize a group buy for ROO?? :Dancing_banana:

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 10:38:03 PM »
Nope. I Tried AP ROO too but end up having same problem for me :D

guess I will be AP-less unless I kena toto then I don't mind buy one to keep :p

Offline takashi78

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 06:16:28 AM »
I think the smaller size normal RO fits you right?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 07:37:58 AM »
You know RO has 2 model right? One using JLC model and one using it's in-house.

The JLC model is the older one and i think it's still in production. Both have almost identical dial and design except the case size and bracelet. The older model (one using JLC movement) fit me better due to it's bracelet, it has smaller link and it can bend down a bit more compare to the new one, at least the lug is not that obvious BUT it double the price compare to the new model. I don't know why. The price is around 60K....

I don't know if there is any smaller size for RO. Maybe that the one (JLC movement) you mention?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:36 AM »
Oh yeah i remember you telling me previously....any reason why the JLC movt double the in house movt price?