Author Topic: Audemars Piguet Boutique extras.  (Read 10469 times)

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Audemars Piguet Boutique extras.
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:59:41 PM »
Needed to get this question answered before I go to bed today. hahaha
Word has is that if you purchase from the AP Boutique, you are entitled to 5 + 1 year warranty (the additional 1 year is after you registered online and get an extra sticker for the warranty booklet) and also a free 1st full service for the watch within the 6 years warranty period.
Anyone in the know can confirm?
Buying from the AD can net you more discounts but only 2 + 1 year warranty.
If the incentive as such when you buy from the boutique, I guess it's alright as we're looking at 10-11 years of worry free ownership without additional costs involved.
Thanks in advance.
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline takashi78

Re: Audemars Piguet Boutique extras.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 04:17:17 PM »
When i was at the bouq i was only been told 5yrs warranty by the Asia Sales Director.
Didnt mention the +1.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
When i was at the bouq i was only been told 5yrs warranty by the Asia Sales Director.
Didnt mention the +1.
The +1 is when you register your watch online and get the extra sticker.
AD give u 2 year warranty, register it online and get the +1.
Same goes to the boutique, 5 years + 1.
I am interested on the 1st full service for free part.
Anyone can confirm?
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:30:52 PM »

Let's have a GTG next month in KL and visit the boutique to ask??

:Cheers:

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
Well, AP makes lesser watches than PP. Generally, people hardly complain about its quality. First couple of years should be relatively safe. I wont be bother with 3 additional years of warranty in light of the haircut from AD or other sellers. Chances are, the watch may leave my hand before warranty expires. Also, so far, I do not have any issue with luxury swiss watches after several years.  :laugh:
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline JPSP

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2013, 03:08:25 AM »
Used to be just 5 years. not sure about the +1. The savings from ADs may be more than the servicing cost (assuming you service it twice in 6 years - every 3 years). The servicing cost for my AP ROO was S$2700. And I reckon you get it cheaper from established independent watch repairers (I've asked before and they charge like S$700).

It may sound good but consumers should consider all options.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2013, 05:33:41 AM »
The +1 is a sure thing.
Just waiting for confirmation on the free 1st full service within the 6 year warranty period.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2013, 09:24:53 AM »
I do not know whether the sa at starhill boutique is playing a sick joke on me. :Blue:
I was not  informed about the 5 years warranty. The guarantee card mentions two years + 1 year upon registering online and getting the sticker.

As for servicing, only the water proofing test is free and must be done within 2 years of  purchase. Was not offered free first time service.

Should I go back to the boutique and get this clarified?

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2013, 10:59:24 AM »
I do not know whether the sa at starhill boutique is playing a sick joke on me. :Blue:
I was not  informed about the 5 years warranty. The guarantee card mentions two years + 1 year upon registering online and getting the sticker.

As for servicing, only the water proofing test is free and must be done within 2 years of  purchase. Was not offered free first time service.

Should I go back to the boutique and get this clarified?
Would be great if you can as that is what I read from other forums.
As for the extra 1 year warranty, if registered a few weeks after purchase, no waterproofing test is necessary and sticker will be issued for the warranty booklet.
Still awaiting confirmation on the free 1st full service though.
Makes a good enough incentive to buy from boutique even at lower discounts as their stock and range is usually quite complete.
Thanks in advance. :Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:21 AM »
Cheapest service is around 3-5k for a "normal" service.

So if the savings is less than that then i would pass.

Same thing with JLC i think its 4yrs?

The SA told me send it in before the warranty runs out to have it serviced. but do you trust the "local" watchmakers?
But i guess its luck anyways.

Offline @tsw@

• My precious
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 11:37:22 AM »
Ok guys,
Will make a trip by this saturday to enquire

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 11:39:59 AM »
Ok guys,
Will make a trip by this saturday to enquire
Thanks bro. Do keep us updated.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2013, 02:46:14 PM »

From other forums, there have been quite a few posts of low power reserve, date wheel issues and even rust in the movement (after purchase and use) of a new watch. As a person who buys watches to keep and wear regularly, I'd be interested to have a longer warranty and free service.

As to servicing an AP, when I get one, it will only go to the APSC and not some outside watchmakers. I believe they are great with Rolex and such but I wouldn't do it with an AP.

Offline JPSP

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2013, 08:15:11 PM »

From other forums, there have been quite a few posts of low power reserve, date wheel issues and even rust in the movement (after purchase and use) of a new watch. As a person who buys watches to keep and wear regularly, I'd be interested to have a longer warranty and free service.

As to servicing an AP, when I get one, it will only go to the APSC and not some outside watchmakers. I believe they are great with Rolex and such but I wouldn't do it with an AP.

I agree. That's why I sent it to the service centre. But if the AD discount is more than the 2 servicing costs for 2 times incurred using APSC, then no point buying from boutique.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2013, 08:26:19 PM »
Unless you're going for rm100k+ models, the difference in buying from AD and Boutique is around 4-5k...
Done some calculations but due to restrictions in discussing discounts, can't share.

Offline rockdaman

« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2013, 06:19:24 AM »
from my survey, the ROO Safari price offered by grey dealer already given me 1 time full service cost compare to AD not boutique.

So u can imagine the price u pay at boutique can actually cost u 2 times full service cost.

Offline yonggoh

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2013, 12:39:36 PM »
i just bought in november from starhill AP so lemme chip in :)

the warranty is contained in the first couple pages in the booklet and its 2 years. it also comes with a code for you to register as an owner online.

registering a new login with this code online, AP should have your details in their database and it will appear before you. then they will send you another sticker i believe to paste in your booklet which entitles you the the extra year of warranty as well as a free pressure test thing anytime during the warranty period.

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2013, 12:51:10 PM »
i just bought in november from starhill AP so lemme chip in :)

the warranty is contained in the first couple pages in the booklet and its 2 years. it also comes with a code for you to register as an owner online.

registering a new login with this code online, AP should have your details in their database and it will appear before you. then they will send you another sticker i believe to paste in your booklet which entitles you the the extra year of warranty as well as a free pressure test thing anytime during the warranty period.

So, Yonggoh confirming buying from AD boutique and getting only a 2+1 year warranty?

Offline Dickson Lim

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 09:12:45 AM »
Just confirmed with the Boutique in Starhill and HK that they only offer 2+1 warranty. Anyway, may I know is it a must to send the watch within two years to be entitled the third year warranty?  :Cheers:

Offline takashi78

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 09:52:28 AM »
No

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 04:36:19 PM »
Finally got all my queries answered.

1st up. The Warranty.

AP Boutique in KL will only give 2+1 year warranty.
The 5 year warranty is only applicable at the Singapore Boutique.
Purchase of the watch will come automatically with a 2 year warranty.
To get the extra 1 year, just register the watch online at the AP website and they will send you a sticker for the warranty booklet.

Now kindly take note that the 3rd Year warranty will not be valid UNLESS you send in the watch for a water resistance test which is free within the initial 24 month warranty period. (do not confuse the water resistance test and the water resistance service)

Now the water resistance test can be done at the Service Centre in Singapore and they will do it on the spot which takes an hour or so.
If you're like me, then you can send the watch to any AP AD or Boutique and they will send it to Singapore for the test (all this is free of charge) Turnaround time is expected to be a week or 2 weeks maximum.

Water resistance test = testing of the watch water resistance and make sure it is still within the advertised specs.
Water resistance service = servicing of the watch's gaskets and other water resistance related parts. (costs CHF220 according to AP website)

Once this is done, the 3rd year warranty is thus valid.

The free full service.

Now after validating the 3rd year warranty, the watch is eligible for a MOVEMENT OVERHAUL ONLY provided the movement did not suffer any major damage from usage and not requiring any replacement parts.
This service is valid for the for the duration of the 3rd year warranty period.
Kindly take note that the watch will ONLY undergo a movement overhaul.
Any extra requirement like case, bezel and bracelet refinishing will be charged as usual. (Prices are available at the AP website)

I am assured that if the watch is worn on a regular basis without any major problems with the movement, they will gladly overhaul the movement.
Now all this is still up to AP's discretion. (kindly take this with a pinch of salt)

Good news? To me? ABSOLUTELY!!

The extra amount paid by acquiring the watch from the boutique is well worth it.
3 year warranty + 1 movement overhaul = at least 8 years worry free ownership period.
I was hoping for 5 year warranty but well... can't win em all.

If my post below contains information that breaks the rules of the forum, please do the necessary amendments and kindly do not delete the whole post. Thanks.

Have to state an example to be more clear.
Let's take the best selling ref:15300 or ref:15400

Retail prices for these 2 are rm46500 and rm50200 respectively.

I let leave it to u guys what discounts you can get at the AD as well as the Boutiques.
I can only say the difference is one tenth of the RRP.

Servicing of the Royal Oak according to the AP website is CHF1080-1160 which is equivalent to to rm3660 - rm3900.

In other words, the extra paid by buying from the Boutique is just paying in advance for a future movement overhaul.

After getting into the AP game, all I can say is hunting for pieces from the AD in order to get maximum discounts and the desired model is almost impossible, especially best selling models.

Personally, I applaud AP for giving consumers some advantage buying from Boutiques. This makes the extra sum paid worthwhile rather than like other brands where the Boutiques can boast having the best possible selection and no other extras that come with the premium paid.

Agree?

Offline takashi78

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2013, 04:59:37 PM »
As far as i know JLC is doing something similar.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2013, 05:13:09 PM »

So it sounds like going to the Singapore boutique is the best place to buy?

Offline Everdying

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2013, 05:18:41 PM »
curious on this statement - the watch is eligible for a MOVEMENT OVERHAUL ONLY provided the movement did not suffer any major damage from usage and not requiring any replacement parts.

doesnt a movement overhaul require replacing parts?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2013, 05:32:33 PM »
curious on this statement - the watch is eligible for a MOVEMENT OVERHAUL ONLY provided the movement did not suffer any major damage from usage and not requiring any replacement parts.

doesnt a movement overhaul require replacing parts?

I am guessing this is similar to some RSC (not all) that offers a free "movement overhaul, no parts change" service on any Rolex and Tudor over 40 years old. Basically, they will strip down, clean and lubricate the parts with no parts change.