Author Topic: Watch which cost lower now and will be luxury watch in some time future  (Read 15845 times)

Offline alvinnchipmunks

Dear All sifus out there,

I am very happy to join this forum for some time now and I really think I learnt a lot from this forum. Hence, I am starting this topic to ask opinion of all the sifu's here for enlightenment.

Most often that we I have always heard people said, "I bought that Oris just about RM 700 last time, now the same model is RM 4800.... That Tag Heuer cost fraction of price before and look at it now?". That often frustrate me enough for the watch I like, I have to pay a premium, let alone the exact same watch that the person who told me this own. But think again, is there any new brand of watch which now is not as famous might some day be like Oris or Tag today?

Offline gloomis

to me, all brand price will increase yearly. So any brand you bought today will be triple o even more in future. mayb to alot ppl is price increase but i think is money depreciate more then price increase.

example my father bought a rolex 6694 in 1970+ at only RM1200 and today this vintage still selling at RM3600 to RM5000. So is it price increase? in 1970's a cup of kopi o is only RM0.50 and today is RM1.50.

but this is just my 2 cents

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
Well, retail prices go up every year. So, it's no surprise when you hear ppl say what they say.
Thing is you're not paying a premium.
It's just inflation.
Like Gloomis say, 15+ years ago, kopi o can be had for 30 sen and a bowl of mee is rm1.50.
Today, a cuppa is rm1.50 and a bowl of mee is 4.50... so you saying all of us paying premium for our cuppa and noodles?
15 years ago, forking out a couple of thousand for a watch is a hefty sum, today, any young professional can afford to drop a couple of thousand on a watch.
My grandpa used to tell me stories about how during his days, he sold char keow tiaw at 30sen... that's right... 30sen... rm1200 for a Rolex might sound cheap today but the value of rm1200 is hefty during those days.

I can imagine when my kids grow up, say in their 30s (hopefully I am still alive by then) and when I pass them some heirloom watches, say a Rolex gmtIIc... if they are into watches, they might ask me how much I paid for it back then? I would answer... rm24k... and he might say "damn!! These things go for 45k today!!, you got it cheap pops!!"
Cheap? Riiiiggghhhtttt.....  ;D
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline G.MAC

Agree with bro Hanz. Another thing you have to know is that quoting from your example, the RM700 Oris is not going to sell for RM4000++ at all. The brand may have increased the price but what you have with you will definitely not. Only in rare exceptional cases do that happen and it is mainly from the companies like Rolex or Panerai or Patek. Even then they rarely happen and thus it isnt foreseeable. All one can do is to just buy the watch you love now, wear it, then see what the future brings for it. Thats all that can be done.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline shamtv2555

Well, retail prices go up every year. So, it's no surprise when you hear ppl say what they say.
It's just inflation.
Like Gloomis say, 15+ years ago, kopi o can be had for 30 sen and a bowl of mee is rm1.50.
Today, a cuppa is rm1.50 and a bowl of mee is 4.50... so you saying all of us paying premium for our cuppa and noodles?
15 years ago, forking out a couple of thousand for a watch is a hefty sum, today, any young professional can afford to drop a couple of thousand on a watch.
My grandpa used to tell me stories about how during his days, he sold char keow tiaw at 30sen... that's right... 30sen... rm1200 for a Rolex might sound cheap today but the value of rm1200 is hefty during those days.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: agree

I can imagine when my kids grow up, say in their 30s (hopefully I am still alive by then) and when I pass them some heirloom watches, say a Rolex gmtIIc... if they are into watches, they might ask me how much I paid for it back then? I would answer... rm24k... and he might say "damn!! These things go for 45k today!!, you got it cheap pops!!"

Offline Godzillaz

You're asking too much, brother chipmunk.

We're not Warren Buffett of watches here. Is not just you who wanted that answer, me, the members here even the AD would like to know too.  ::)

However there's no answer. Even if there is it would only apply to the past now in the future.

Sorry, Alvin  :(

Regard
Tyler

I am very happy to join this forum for some time now and I really think I learnt a lot from this forum. Hence, I am starting this topic to ask opinion of all the sifu's here for enlightenment.

Most often that we I have always heard people said, "I bought that Oris just about RM 700 last time, now the same model is RM 4800.... That Tag Heuer cost fraction of price before and look at it now?". That often frustrate me enough for the watch I like, I have to pay a premium, let alone the exact same watch that the person who told me this own. But think again, is there any new brand of watch which now is not as famous might some day be like Oris or Tag today?

Offline fidoneo

It's just inflation.

:thumbsup:
Sig sauer p2022 - luminor Marina
Sig Sauer p229 - Radiomir Black seal

A combination of handguns with timepieces

Offline alvinnchipmunks

Hi Godzillaz,

We definately aren't Warren Buffett in watch. Just sometimes while just too focus on already branded and famous watches, maybe we can also at the same time look into new brands. Tag Heuer or Oris once wasn't as famous as they are now. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the road we will be talking some new star brands. Just anxious what it would be and maybe we could speculate a little here. Hehe.

Just my little humble opinion.

We're not Warren Buffett of watches here. Is not just you who wanted that answer, me, the members here even the AD would like to know too.  ::)

However there's no answer. Even if there is it would only apply to the past now in the future.

Regard
Tyler

Offline GlySinn

... Or u could try asking Dr. Bernard Cheong  ;D

Offline gloomis

Hi Godzillaz,

We definately aren't Warren Buffett in watch. Just sometimes while just too focus on already branded and famous watches, maybe we can also at the same time look into new brands. Tag Heuer or Oris once wasn't as famous as they are now. Maybe 5 or 10 years down the road we will be talking some new star brands. Just anxious what it would be and maybe we could speculate a little here. Hehe.

mayb u can start collecting some brand from now on. there is alot sifu n taiko here collecting alot unusual and uncommon brand, workmanship & quality is good and price is consider still low at the moment. so mayb u can just hit 1 o 2 and price mayb x 5 after few years when richemont spot the potential of the brand.

Offline foowy

Will it be popular and sought after in future? No one knows what will happen tomorrow. Take the example of the pre-vendome Panerais...I would think those lucky guys who bought it back then bought it because they loved it and thats it. They were probably ridiculed as well initially for wearing a clock on their wrist....so who's laughing now.

It also depends on too many factors; will it have a following, will the brand continue to innovate or just a copy-cat design company, will it put enough branding and marketing dollars behind the brand, etc.

Worst case, will the brand go bankrupt and shut down? Perhaps then the overly optimisitc can still say "even more rare now, cos the company no longer exist"

I say the risk of dissappointment and loss is too high if we purchased on hope. But if you purchased on love....I gaurantee you emotional and mental satisfaction.

Anything else that happens in the future is a bonus.

Hi Godzillaz,

Regard
Tyler

Offline ivanswk

• Res ipsa loquitur :P
maybe u want to try this  ;D
http://www.ernestborel.ch/en/index.php
http://watchluxus.com/brands/cyma

one endorse by lam fung the other by andy lau, can't go wrong rite  ::)

i am still waiting for this brand to become a hit
http://www.locman.it/2010/home_eng.asp
hope one day can exceed panerai  :angel:

Hi Godzillaz,

Regard
Tyler

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Due to the proliferation of OEM watch manufacturers all over the world, everyone can come out with watches now. These watches are not simple one-week life span watches found on street corners but can be engineered to awesome specifications (the Deep Blue and the OCEAN7 brands are typical examples).

Commission a one-of-a-kind watch (however simple) for yourself and then get famous (or infamous) :Dancing_banana:

This is one sure way of making "it" into a collectors' piece.
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline rusminag

My prediction...
1. Patek Philippe Nautilus SS
2. Rolex Daytona SS
3. Rolex Submariner SS

Better grab them now (preowned lah..) before their prices going insane..... he... he...
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 04:12:14 AM by rusminag »
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline alvinnchipmunks

Thanks all for all the input, keep them coming guys.

How about a brand call Seagull from China. Anyone look good on this brand?

Offline gloomis

the cheapest double tourbillon watch ever made  :thumbsup:

Offline Godzillaz

Dude, I think we should talk more than just mention a brand and goes maybe this will take off. This is like gambling, man. Where's the interest in watches?

Regard
Tyler

Offline Enkidu

I came across this small shop dedicated to selling Sea-Gull when I was in Singapore's Chinatown in March this year. I had the opportunity to examine a few pieces; those with the really basic hour-minute-second hands only. I found the finishings very acceptable for the price range. As regards the movement however, my 20++ years of watch buying experience / instinct warned me not to take the plunge. Will Sea-Gull be considered a luxury brand (by definition, I guess you mean to be on par with say PP, VC, JLC, AP, Rollie...etc)? My guess is until and unless this Sea-Gull is accepted as a luxury brand within Mainland China on par with the ones I just mentioned, I will be rather surprised if it stands to be ranked among the top luxury brands anytime in the foresseable future. I wonder what the chinese astronauts are wearing on their wrists. Chances are, not a sea-gull.     

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
Brother, save and except submariner ss, i think daytona ss and nautilus ss prices are already insane now. I just tried out a ivory base 5711 now. Well a ss simple watch with no complication cost a 1.6 litre jap car in boleh land but a 2.0 litre jap car elsewhere.  :Scolding:

My prediction...
1. Patek Philippe Nautilus SS
2. Rolex Daytona SS
3. Rolex Submariner SS

Better grab them now (preowned lah..) before their prices going insane..... he... he...
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline IWCking

Alvin, Tag H has been always quite famous.

I think the example u should pull is probably Maurice L. ML price used to be more moderate even 10 years ago. But few years back, the pricing went up quite significantly. Proportionally definitely went up way more than most other brands that i know.

We all wish that we know this answer. Seriously. One watch shop uncle showed me a disgusting look when he saw my Pam (no disrepect to other pam lovers). He said this is an unwanted eastern european watch with a big case which is nothing impressive until richemont took over some 10 years ago...

People have been talking about ETA stop supplying out to vendors beyond is group. If that happens, I think a lot of watches will get really expensive by then. But this rumors have been going on for many years.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator

One watch shop uncle showed me a disgusting look when he saw my Pam (no disrepect to other pam lovers). He said this is an unwanted eastern european watch with a big case which is nothing impressive until richemont took over some 10 years ago...

Interesting point of view I have to say, seeing the fact that Panerai never really sold their watches to the general public until Richemont took over....

Offline IWCking

yes Hobbit. Well, I like Pam due to its design. I too have some reservation with its movement actually especially comparing with other highend watch makers. I have seemed some terrible case happened at other forum. But i dont want to put off pam enthusiasts here though.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Check out this watch brand: Fiyta

A few weeks ago China launched its first female astronaut. Fiyta’s Aeronautics Collection served as timekeeper for the space mission again.

Fiyta is the only supplier of space watches to the China Astronaut Research and Training Center and over the past few years, Fiyta’s Aeronautics Collection has accompanied astronauts during space flights.

I bet this brand going to be famous soon......
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Watchnewby

Ya, go and get some Fiyta watches now before it will become famous like the Omega is to the US astronauts,

Offline rusminag

Fiyta??

Even the website doesn't work properly... Will it signs 'China Made'??
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex