Author Topic: Need an Opinion on this Tourbillon  (Read 7707 times)

Offline rainmaker81

Need an Opinion on this Tourbillon
« on: January 08, 2013, 07:59:45 AM »
Hello friends of MWF,

I attended Alexander Shorokoff's 20th Anniversary Dinner last year and had the honour of meeting the great watchmaker in person. At the dinner, he showcased his watches and my colleague and I were instantly capitvated by a limited ed 100pcs tourbillon (see pic below). The watch has a few complications namely, moon phase, 2nd time zone and a tourbillon. The price seems reasonable for a tourbillon and we placed our orders and deposit for the watch without much hesitation. To put things in perspective, the cost of this piece is approx RM16000. Months have passed since and I'm beginning to grow fonder collecting only certain watch brands and models. I was recently told that the watch has arrived and the seller is chasing me to collect it. I am in a dilemma whether I should take it or ask the seller to onsell to another buyer. Can I seek your view on this piece please? Sorry the pic quality isn't great. Took it using my mobile.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
Re: Need an Opinion on this Tourbillon
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2013, 08:08:39 AM »
You gotta ask yourself.
Is the watch still sing to you?
Can you take back your deposit?

Offline rainmaker81

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »
You gotta ask yourself.
Is the watch still sing to you?
Can you take back your deposit?

Hi ck77, I haven't really discussed with the seller if a refund is possible. Given that all the 100 pcs have been sold out, I suppose it wouldn't be so difficult to find a purchaser. On the one hand I want to free up my funds to acquire something else, but on the other hand I am worried if I may not find something like this again if I pass this chance.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2013, 08:37:22 AM »
I didn't know about this brand, but RM16k for a tourbillion is cheap.
Is the movement from Germany? I doubt so.
And don't forget you need to factor in the servicing cost.

Offline Primus

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2013, 08:58:34 AM »
I'm not very familiar with this brand but i do know one major issue to consider for Tourbillion watches is the servicing issue. Not only the cost but if there is a watch craftsman near your location that can service this watch or if the company that is selling you this watch giving you good options for servicing. Many people whom bought tourbillion watches that are not from big brands find it hard to find a master craftsman good enough to service it. However if you know somebody and you love the watch RM16k is a very cheap price for a tourbillion.

Normally tourbillion is associated with very high precision but we do see now a days China watches coming with Tourbillion with not so good accuracy (+25/-25 sec a day) and i somehow feel that defeats the purpose. However if you want to buy it as an appreciation for the tourbillion technology it is offcourse up to you

(ps: i'm not saying this movement is china made just giving an example, but the watch does look interesting)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 09:00:05 AM by Primus »

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2013, 11:02:36 AM »
I would say its a Seagull movement.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2013, 02:05:11 PM »
Thats the problem with joining a forum, your taste will change :Laughing_on_floor:. For me I would just say keep it unless you can wiggle your way out of it. The manufacturer is quite new and there is not much information on them. That being said, that kind of price is relatively cheap for a tourbillon. Only Seagull tourbillon can be had for that kind of price. If it were to be from a Swiss manufacturer, the price could easily be 10x over. But at the end of the day always remember, it is you who has to live with the watch. So at the end of the day, it boils down to you and not us. That is the most sincere advice that I can give.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2013, 02:48:50 PM »
I would walk. RM16k is lot of money to spend on big "maybe". Maybe you'll like it also maybe you won't. I would ask for a refund or in absolutely no choice, store credit. If the retailer is serious about this business. They will let you walk. Says a lot if they insist on you talking the watch.

BTW, tourbillon is not a complication. Only features that give you additional info on time can be count as a complication. For example, a silicon free sprung balance is not a complication compare to something like a second hand(which give you indication of second)

Regard
Tyler

Offline gck

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2013, 05:11:01 PM »
same movement with ingersoll and retails for rm16k?
no way man!

Offline Everdying

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
when i check RAW's site, they say only 30 pieces were delivered for 2012.
another 30 are due for delivery in 2013, of which pre-orders started late last yr, and which is probably the batch that is being offered to you now.
so i dont think all 100 are sold yet.

it would be wise to off-load it if you dont like it...but i dont think it's going to be easy either.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2013, 01:08:47 PM »
To be honest... I rather take the money and get myself a second hand rolex. You can say everyone have it but you cannot deny the fact that you could easily put in your rolex for cash when shit happends or trade in for higher value watch. The design was for me is nice and old skool. Not to mention its wayyyy easier to maintain than this tourbilon..

Just my 2cents  ;)

Offline amir1218

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 01:25:01 PM »
Hello friends of MWF,

Months have passed since and I'm beginning to grow fonder collecting only certain watch brands and models.

Hi,
From the sound of your statement, you seem to have second thoughts about your purchase.
If it doesn't appeal to you anymore, maybe you should pull out of the purchase.

Offline nicholasds

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »
Most likely a CHinese Seagull Tourbillon. You can get it on Invicta or Sthurling for RM 3-5k.

Offline rainmaker81

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2013, 10:48:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for your very very valuable feedback! Your comments have certainly lent support to my decision to give this piece a miss. I guess I'll have to check with RAW if they can help to onsell it to another interested buyer.

On the tourbillon, I suspect it's probably Seagull too though I have not verified it with RAW. Swiss tourbillon surely isn't this cheap.

Thanks again!

Offline rainmaker81

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2013, 11:16:16 AM »
Called RAW about my decision. Now waiting for them to get back to me on the refund. Fingers crossed! I actually feel quite relieved as Ive been toying with this decision a while. Many thanks again to those who have taken time to share your views.

After seeing bro G.MAC's grail, I have now set my sight on getting a PP. Will need to offload some watches and save up first :)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 11:22:48 AM by rainmaker81 »

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »
I think it is a PTS Tourbillon but "enhanced" in Germany by Alexander Shorokoff's group companies.

Happy hunting for other watches!

Cheers
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline ranj85

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2013, 06:24:04 AM »
I just saw this watch yesterday, it looks great, but the movement is the same as ingersoll, or seagull according to the sales personel.... with that money, you could buy a quality swiss made watch, from a pretty good brand.... but its all about your personal liking....

Offline Timeless

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »
well, refering to above member comments in terms of maintain, service, resell value etc. suggest u pull off this deal.
i believe this watch dosen't speak to u so strong after some period as the "yes/no of bug" is in your mind already..

Offline contender

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2014, 09:52:05 PM »
Well, I saw this Peter the great tourbillon at Red Army Watches at Tropicana Mall and is available for 12,800 from retail 15,450 .....  :Cheers:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2014, 08:28:59 AM »
Buying a watch is always about whether u like it or not
U wanna put it on UR wrist or even u would like to put it into UR safe and enjoying watching it each time

Tourbillon like Tyler said
UR wasn't complication

Just additional mechanism was initially designed to compensate the gravity issue on pocket watch which sit at constant position in pocket

But nowadays it has been blow and blow and blow till it is so complicated and difficult to make
To justify its high price

Like it or not, marketing is a strong tool .... Most human will be influenced by it! We all too...
Consciously or subconsciously ....

What ever it is
Tourbillon is good to watch ... The cage spinning round constantly is attractive
To me!!!!!

As for this deal... I will say. If refund is not possible, switching the money for booking  to another watch shd be ok...

And consumer act - u can refund any purchase within 7 days
----- lawyer pls chip in -----