Author Topic: It's all about the dial (MING 17.06 Copper)  (Read 2905 times)

Offline DonFlamingo

• Freshie
It's all about the dial (MING 17.06 Copper)
« on: June 07, 2022, 09:37:24 AM »
Picture doesn't even begin to do it justice with this watch and how often you get stuck looking at the dial for hours? Here's my review of the MING 17.06 Copper.

Intro
I first stumble upon the MING brand while reading about the 17.01 on hodinkee, I was instantly attracted to the design language and their Malaysian heritage. Back then I was intrigued but didn't pull the trigger, something didn't click so I've forgotten about it. Then came 2019, when the first picture of the 17.06 Copper hit the internet, I knew I had to get it. Once MING was open for business, I instantly grab it and the rest was history. Fast forward a couple of months, the watch arrived as I was returning from a holiday trip from Penang, why the details you asked? It was because I can remember that exact day so vividly, and I felt like a kid opening a early Christmas gift.

The watch
The moment I took the watch out of the box, I instantly fell in love with it. The copper colored dial was mesmerizing with every angle I was looking at it, as the light playfully bouncing off the coppery Fibonacci inspired design on the dial.

I am a sucker for symmetry, and the watch is exactly that. The hours and minutes hands is perfectly size and shaped. The hour marker seems to float on the beautiful dial. The sapphire crystal sits flush against the case. The lugs edge are angle to perfection. Have I mentioned the lume yet? Cause what we have here are lumes on steroids on the 17.06.

Specs wise it's nothing to brag about for it's price. House within the 38mm case is a ETA 2824-2 with a 38 hour power reserve. As for the straps, it comes with a brown calf leather matching the copper dial with a quick release for ease of change.

Take the watch out for a spin, and the natural daylight gives it more character. You can't stop looking at the watch even you don't need to, and it sucks you in when you do. As the day gets darker, the lumes pops, so much so that it's actually a distraction when in a cinema.

Closing words
The 17.06 Copper to me is like a gift that never stops giving, even after owning it for three years, I'm still extremely grateful for owning this remarkable piece of art. Even though it's lacking in functions other watches provides, but it makes it up for it with it's insanely gorgeous looks. Oh, have I mentioned that it was this watch that won a GPHG award for MING in 2019?

Enough said, here's some pictures capture with my amateur skills, enjoy and I hope that you have a great day.

Cheers!

Offline c4all

Re: It's all about the dial (MING 17.06 Copper)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2022, 06:57:24 PM »
Nice review. I wonder if the outer rim of the Ming has a sunburst effect under bright light or is it more flat?

Offline DonFlamingo

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 08:31:02 PM »
Nice review. I wonder if the outer rim of the Ming has a sunburst effect under bright light or is it more flat?
Thanks

Actually your right, it does has some kind of sunburst effect, which really helps to showcase the design.

Offline qhy500

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2023, 09:58:19 PM »
Exceptional watch design. When the lime lights up, how does the dial look? Does it pair well with the blue/green-ish tone?

Offline Zaini

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2023, 07:21:18 AM »
Great succinct review. Wear it in good health. I've stumbled upon a Reddit post re Ming entitled "customer disservice redefined". It was an eye-opener, to say the least. Curious about your whole experience with them. How was it? Proud that Ming is Malaysian.

Offline hoho1111

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2023, 06:42:36 AM »
That dial is an absolute stunner! What do you think of Kurono Tokyo?