Author Topic: My Seiko 6138-0011 - should I restore it?  (Read 8136 times)

Offline Jules85

My Seiko 6138-0011 - should I restore it?
« on: August 30, 2011, 03:53:05 PM »
Hi,

I have just been given a seiko 6138-0011 "the UFO" by my father. This watch is really special to me as it was given to my dad by my grandfather. And now it isnmy turn to Wear the watch. My grandfather used to have a watch shop in Melaka so he has some really cool watches.

You can see the watch's pic and condition here: http://instagr.am/p/LrETn/

See the problem is, I'm the second generation wearing this watch (I've read somewhere that this watch is one of the first automatic chronograph watches? Dunno how true?) so naturally on a wear and tear basis, it had already gone thru a lot of thick and thins. I assume my grandpa had it in the 1970s probably 74?

Now I don't know if I should keep it this way, to retain the look of a worn out watch or should i restore it. As you can see, the hands are already very old, With jagged edges, the Markers are no longer luminous and grey in color, the crystal are badly scratched and the bezel's color has also worn out...

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: My Seiko 6138-0011 - should I restore it?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 05:04:26 PM »
Jules85,

Get a competent watch guy to service the watch. As for the looks, I don;t think it looks that bad. I would leave it, unless you can find original parts to replace the worn out parts. If not, just leave it as it adds character to the watch. Also it carries with it all the memories.

Offline Jules85

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
Thanks! The watch is doing fine, before my father passed it to me he got it serviced, although a few times when I reset the chronograph, the second hand did not stop at 12 o'clock.

You are right, one of the reason I'm hesitant to restore the looks of the watch is due to the memory, character and the high value it has of my family.

Anyway Just for emergency, do you know any trusted watch shop which can service a vintage seiko around PJ?

Offline whitemamba

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 01:18:58 PM »
hi, my father also own this chrono 6138-0011 and i think he bought it somewhere in 70s.. i still remember how he struggling to get it repaired.. so he left wearing nite market watches.. and deep in mind one day to buy for him the replacement.. so after start earning and got married, i bought for him a diver 7s26-0020.. and he was so happy..

now he passed-away, few months back my mom gave back the diver to me since i'm the one who bought it for him, still in very good condition even already after >10 years.. thinking to give some different look so google around for rubber strap.

so, remember this chrono and start google around, wow!! immediately ask my mom where the chrono.. so last month i found this chrono in one of the boxes.. this chrono is very rusty but i determine  to restore it whatever it takes.

so now, in progress, the dial total damage but the hands look ok.. so i have to replace the dial.. looking at ebay and found one.. after bidding won it total won including post RM76.. then while looking at muday.my found this look old dial but different from one from ebay.. seller said original taken from watch.. but asking around at watchuseek but they said both aftermarket.

no patient to wait delivery from ebay, i decided to buy this dial from mudah.. thinking to buy spare parts from watches but the price too high in ebay.

try to nego but the seller refused.. rm100.. so this watch guy, each of part he bath it with kind of oil/chemical for few days to remove the rust and fungus.. he said the crown stem too rusty and damaged but he can replace it original taken from his 6138 spare parts.. the crystal surprisingly look good and clear after some cleanup.. the bazel still in good condition.. only some very tiny scratches.

currently at reassembling stage.. i will try to update later..  ;)

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 04:57:49 PM »
Thanks! The watch is doing fine, before my father passed it to me he got it serviced, although a few times when I reset the chronograph, the second hand did not stop at 12 o'clock.

You are right, one of the reason I'm hesitant to restore the looks of the watch is due to the memory, character and the high value it has of my family.

Anyway Just for emergency, do you know any trusted watch shop which can service a vintage seiko around PJ?

PMed you
Seiko fan.....

Offline Timeless

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 10:00:24 PM »
There's a sophisticated repairer in amcorp. Pm me if keen

Offline nikfs1881

• "Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend."
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 01:55:43 AM »
If the watch is still working fine, i would advise against restoring the vintage look.....i restored my rolex 6694 a few years ago....eventhough it looks flawless now, it doesnt have the character of a vintage watch and it diminishes the 'real value' of the watch to me, since it was passed on from my father....... Worst mistake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rolex Sea-dwellerC|Breitling Seawolf Blacksteel LE|Tag heuer Grand Carrera|Chopard Monaco Historique Time Attack|Baume et Mercier Capeland|Tudor Grantour|Omega Seamaster|Oris Artix Complication|Rolex 6694|Tag Heuer Link|Oris William F1|Tag Heuer 2000|Tissot T-Race LE|Rado D-Star 200 |Sistem51|Longines Hydroconquest Chrono|Seiko SRP577|Seiko SBDC003|Steinhart GMT Pepsi & Nav B44| Nomos Tangente 38