Author Topic: How many watches in a rotation or collection?  (Read 9005 times)

Offline dpkong

How many watches in a rotation or collection?
« on: September 18, 2022, 08:50:46 PM »

These questions have probably been asked many times but seeing as we have plenty of new members, let's ask again.

How many watches do you think or feel is enough in a collection?

How many in your collection are actually worn in rotation? Or do you just buy because you like it but never really wear it?

Myself, I have more than 10 now and realise that some hardly get worn. I like to take them out sometimes to look, wind and set the time but just end up putting them away again. Some were bought long ago but while they are no longer worn, I can't get myself to sell them.

It seems there are the few that get worn more often than others.

Is there a right number of watches to keep? Maybe one each beater, dive, chrono and dress?

And how to stop walking into watch shops or website and look at new watches?

Offline Doreemon

Re: How many watches in a rotation or collection?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 09:07:20 PM »
Personally i got 2, which is a Breitling SOH 2 and a Starbucks. I plan to get a third one that is either an OP 41 green or an Omega PO 39.5mm in the future and wear each on a weekly rotation. For me 3 is enough as i dont have a safe at home lol

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 01:51:23 PM »
Some ppl might find the very idea of "enough" anathema, maybe even sacrilegious  :Laughing_on_floor:

But I think its a fair conclusion though: a beater, a daily and a nice dressy piece for special occasions. If this is still too restrictive, there's always the one in / one out idea as well. Though whether its in first or out first is up for contention also la hehe
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 01:54:19 PM by pleasuresaurus »

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »
Between 10-15 watches is my ideal size... ;D

To me, I must say some are purpose driven (eg. Golf, sports, swimming, hiking), some are on occasion / matching with certain outfits (dress, bling, vintage, etc), and some are the daily rotation ones with some more "beaten" than others...like the Rolex steel professionals or PAM...

Offline jf98

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 11:13:03 PM »
As enthusiasts and collectors we will never have enough...the ideal number always seems to be N+1, where N is the number of pieces in the collection currently  ;D

But personally, I would like to have between 7-9 pieces with 2 or 3 max lower priced "beaters" included. That way, at least they can all get some decent wrist time and get worn at least once a month if not in rotation already. Ideally those pieces will tick several categories as well (dress, chrono, diver, field, moonphase, GMT, beaters). Maybe Speedy, Submariner, Santos Dumont, Explorer/BB Pro, JLC MUT Moon, GS Shunbun and some Seikos will be ideal.

Unfortunately that isn't the case for me now, have more than 10 pieces with only 4 in rotation just like you with these few getting. a lot more wear. Hope to be able to pare down the collection eventually, just find it hard letting go of some pieces since I have had them for quite a while  :'(
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 11:15:35 PM by jf98 »

Offline CKT

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 07:27:40 AM »
I only having only having 4 watches - Sub date, SEIKO 62MAS re-imagination SPB147J , SEIKO SKX009 & Hamilton Automatic Intra-matic ( Panda ) ; But for now, i only wear Hamilton Panda. Others, in the drawer all the time.

Offline hong999

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 11:48:50 AM »
Got a Ophion 786 Valos, a Montblanc Perpetual Calendar and a G-shock.

Ophion 786 Valos - Daily wear
Montblanc Perpetual Calendar - Special occasion / at home
G-shock - Travel to oversea

Offline swleong

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 02:12:20 PM »
Been downsized from owning IWC, Zenith, Longines, Rolex watches few years ago, to now 3 G-Shocks, 1 Rolex and 1 Seiko.

The steel G-Shock GMW-B5000D does 99% of all things I ever need as daily beater. Thus in use at least 5 days a week.

For special days, I put on my classic Sub 14060M, 2-liner.

For more adventurous outdoor activities, I got my heavy duty all black G-Shock Mudman.

These 3 watches are currently in my rotation, as they are functional, timeless in design that matches any outfits in any occasions.

Thinking of selling the rest.

So for me, 3 watches are enough.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2022, 02:44:16 PM »
As a long-time collector, the following are my responses to the questions posed after all these time :Laughing_on_floor:;

1. I echo the N+1 response from Bro jf98. If money were no object, there would not be a limit in my opinion.

2. I wear all my watches in a four-a-week rotation. The rest are kept safe and sound and to be out on rotation the following week.

3. I do not think there is a right number of watches to keep. I would just go with whatever keeps me happy.

4. Despite any advice given, truthfully none will work. Good luck and all the best.

:Laughing_on_floor:
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 08:42:33 PM »
So... the N+1 disease is more common that I thought. I was hoping to get a cure for it but there doesn't seem to be any suggestions yet. Few can claim money is no object so must be realistic how many watches to collect.

How to discipline oneself from endless lusting after watches and find the sweet number of watches to own? I think 3 would be too few to keep. Maybe 6 would be a better number?

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2022, 09:28:40 AM »
I think 3 will be bestest..

Most of my collect is Rolex and it’s very difficult to choose Rolex if you are walking on the streets…too conspicuous nowadays…

Btw, honestly,  there is no cure for watch addiction..lolx!

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 10:19:29 AM »
It might be of interest to know that watchuseek forum has a sub called the Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC) that's been around for a few years, and aims to help addicted WIS breakout of their spiral of watch buying/flipping.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 12:40:18 PM »
It might be of interest to know that watchuseek forum has a sub called the Watch Purchasing Abstinence Club (WPAC) that's been around for a few years, and aims to help addicted WIS breakout of their spiral of watch buying/flipping.

How to trust a watch forum to help you abstain from watch purchasing?

Offline r3kahsttub

• Awake, but asleep
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2022, 08:29:32 PM »
I think number can vary between individuals.

Personally, I would like a grail box of 8, and a daily box of 3. I have too many watches now, many that don't even get worn. I have to make a mental effort to strap them on, and then they disappear for months or years. I want to stop hoarding.

In putting this to practise, I have stopped buying Seikos. Yes, retail prices have gone up but they are still relatively affordable. And so many nice colourways. My PRX does all that, for less and delivers more satisfaction. So I may or may not sell all my Seikos, but I certainly will not be adding any more to the box!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 08:31:31 PM by r3kahsttub »

Offline jf98

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2022, 10:35:48 PM »
So... the N+1 disease is more common that I thought. I was hoping to get a cure for it but there doesn't seem to be any suggestions yet. Few can claim money is no object so must be realistic how many watches to collect.

How to discipline oneself from endless lusting after watches and find the sweet number of watches to own? I think 3 would be too few to keep. Maybe 6 would be a better number?

Impossible to stop yourself from lusting over other pieces, unless you quit this addiction entirely  :thumbsdown:

Although I agree that around 6 is a good number. 3 is not realistic for me at least, just too many interesting pieces out there to ignore. Maybe 3 pieces for daily rotation and 3 more special ones for the right occasion?
Also, glad to know I'm not the only one with the N+1 disease...  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2022, 11:23:48 AM »
I currently have 6 pieces and I try my best to give all of them equal wrist time. I wear #1 during work hours on Mondays and Wednesdays; switch to #2 afterwork in the evening; #3 during Tuesdays and Thursdays; #4 during evening. Then #5 on Fridays and #6 for Weekends and/or special occasions.

So far it's worked pretty well for me, I do need to wind a few of them here and there but the majority of them get enough wrist time to stay running. I think 7 will be the most I can handle, but then that's what I said to myself when I had 3...

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 12:05:05 PM »

How to trust a watch forum to help you abstain from watch purchasing?

Kan?  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 08:07:39 AM »

Impossible to stop yourself from lusting over other pieces, unless you quit this addiction entirely  :thumbsdown:

Come to think of it, quitting forums like these and unfollow watch groups on FB may be a good idea.. 

:Laughing_on_floor:

Now I recall that being away from all these groups and forums for a few years when I picked up a different hobby and did not buy any watches for almost 3 years...

Although that might not work now because unlike then, people nowadays talk about watches on every platform. The Rolex bubble has created so much interest in watches and people talk so much about it that even other brands like AP, VC and even some Omega have become hard to get.

Offline Rex

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2022, 06:03:11 PM »
I think 7-10 will be fine.
5 should be worn on regular days of the week and others for special occasions but everyday is a special day, LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2022, 10:45:43 AM »

Thinking about it some more, the idea of consolidating a collection of over 10 pieces to around 3-5 pieces is beginning to sound harder than it seems. The worry is remorse after selling and not being able to reacquire them again at the right price.

5 should be worn on regular days of the week and others for special occasions but everyday is a special day, LOL

I try not to have special occasion watches. Every day is a special day isn't it? I would prefer to look at them as tool or leisure wear. Eg. wearing an all steel watch when doing rough work or daily use and then semi-gold or full gold for dinner or leisure times.

Offline Rex

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2022, 05:08:35 PM »

Thinking about it some more, the idea of consolidating a collection of over 10 pieces to around 3-5 pieces is beginning to sound harder than it seems. The worry is remorse after selling and not being able to reacquire them again at the right price.

I try not to have special occasion watches. Every day is a special day isn't it? I would prefer to look at them as tool or leisure wear. Eg. wearing an all steel watch when doing rough work or daily use and then semi-gold or full gold for dinner or leisure times.
Everyday is a special day, Smiles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jf98

« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2022, 03:34:07 PM »

Consolidate slowly, one at a time starting with the piece you find easiest to let go. Eventually maybe can get down to 7 pieces, but definitely not 3-5  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 03:23:53 PM »

Consolidate slowly, one at a time starting with the piece you find easiest to let go. Eventually maybe can get down to 7 pieces, but definitely not 3-5  :Laughing_on_floor:

3+5+7 = 15 is more like it  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline dpkong

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2022, 11:27:36 AM »

3+5+7 = 15 is more like it  :Laughing_on_floor:

Maybe the solution is a bigger watch box...

Offline jf98

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2022, 12:17:37 PM »
Maybe the solution is a bigger watch box...

This thread has gone from helpful to toxic  ;D