Author Topic: Thoughts on current gen Omega Seamaster Diver 300m?  (Read 2487 times)

Offline jf98

Thoughts on current gen Omega Seamaster Diver 300m?
« on: February 25, 2022, 12:50:20 PM »
Hey MWF members,

What are your thoughts on the current gen Omega SMP300 Diver?
Would like to hear some opinions on likes and dislikes about it, preferences of colour combinations and strap pairings.
Also, how do they wear on the wrist compared to the previous 36 and 41mm models.
At around RM14k on used market, are they worth spending the extra money over the older models?

Offline bulletnos

Re: Thoughts on current gen Omega Seamaster Diver 300m?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2022, 04:02:03 PM »
Hi jf98...

It is a very nice overall daily wear watch to begin with. A strap monster for sure. I've tried on the older versions (and I do not want to offend anyone who has the older version) - but I honestly do prefer the current model given the crisp look of the ceramic bezel and dial - with the waves to complement it. Also, the 42mm case fits my 6.5" wrist just fine, though smaller wrists may find it a little big.

Up close, the waves looks perfect too. However, the white markers on the bezel seem to have somewhat of a rough finish under a 40x loupe, but not visible to the naked eye. (I'll try to upload some macro photos I took with my i-Phone XR with the loupe attached   :o)

It also has a 55 hour power reserve - though I would have preferred it to have at least 70-hours.

Apart from that, it is indeed a good watch. Comfortable bracelet with quick adjustment, but imho, still inferior to the Rolex oyster Glidelock bracelet. The satin finishing on portions of the bracelet and clasp isn't as refined as well, but certainly a good bang for buck!

Specifications-wise - this current model is a winner in terms of METAS certification. Hard to challenge at this price point.

Hope the above helps.

Cheers
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:08:14 AM by bulletnos »

Offline jf98

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2022, 06:59:00 PM »
Hey bulletnos

Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I don't think I would worry too much about inspecting it closely with a 40x, maybe with a 10x loupe at the most. As long as the dial and markers look crisp I'll be satisfied, bonus if the movement looks sharp too  ;D Please do share some macros and wristshots if you can.

How is the wrist comfort if wearing it out for an entire day? I have a Tudor BB41 and find it slightly top heavy making it uncomfortable if i'm wearing it for a full day. Unfortunately that's not something i can get a feel for at a boutique.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2022, 07:29:56 AM »
The Omega surprisingly doesnt feel top heavy, but perhaps because the bracelet itself is weighty, it kinda balances out. And it actually sits relatively well even on Nato straps, as opposed to heavier watches like Panerai that tends to fall off the center of the wrist.

And here are some of the Macro shots - sorry didnt have time to crop or use filters - enjoy:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: February 26, 2022, 11:03:10 AM by bulletnos »

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2022, 07:32:05 AM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jf98

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2022, 08:15:45 AM »
Wow!!  :o

Thanks for sharing the macros, the text on the dial and markers look so crisp. Unfortunate that the bezel markers aren't finished to the same standard, but i guess can't complain for that price. Movement finishing looks very good too at that price point.

Hoping it will sit well on my smaller wrist. Have narrowed down my choices to either the blue or black dial on bracelet. This would be my first Seamaster, and first Omega as well. Although if money was no object, i would go for the Bond NTTD variant on a Nato  ;D

Offline sshark

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2022, 07:02:07 PM »
these are some of the few moments where ignorance is bliss :)

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2022, 07:48:44 PM »
these are some of the few moments where ignorance is bliss :)

Agreed. I still would wear the watch nonetheless. You cant see with the naked eye no matter how hard you squint. At least not for me anyways. Haha

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2022, 08:48:00 AM »
Can't go wrong with Omega la really, SMP Dive 300 is a great specimen. Black dial on metal bracelet would be quite flexible - goes well with any color combination (outfit, shoes, strap color) and the lug width being 20mm, aftermarket options are plentiful. The finishing is excellent for the money, as any in-depth scrutiny (above that of human eye) of any watch at any price point will reveal plenty imperfections. About the only thing I would gripe about is the thickness of Omegas owing to the master coaxial construction, but other than that, it rocks.

Offline jf98

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2022, 09:34:37 AM »
Thanks for the input pleasuresaurus!

My preference is currently leaning towards the blue, something about that colour speaks to me...although I'm sure there would be more strap pairing options with the black dial. I'm hoping the thickness won't be an issue to me, i currently own a Tudor BB41 with 14.8mm thickness and find it to be slightly top heavy. Hopefully the SMP300 will be okay since it's about 1mm thinner  :thumbsup: