Author Topic: Recent exp at the Rolex Boutique. Need some faith. LOL  (Read 10282 times)

Offline faizall

Recent exp at the Rolex Boutique. Need some faith. LOL
« on: September 20, 2021, 05:44:02 AM »
Hi all MWF members,

Just wondering, did anyone ever try the Case A below and manage to secure a unit?

Me: never bought any Rolex unit yet so far, either form the boutique or from the 3rd party market

Case A: I'm just walk in to Rolex boutique, share with them my interest for Rolex Explorer 124270 and listed my name in the interest list (no waiting list anymore they said, just interest list LOL)

The main big question will be, as I walk out from the boutique either my name was listed in the list or it just gone somewhere over the rainbow with some unicorn and RIP there (in the dustbin). If someone ever tried this and it works please let me know so I can have some faith in my action.  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline G.MAC

Re: Recent exp at the Rolex Boutique. Need some faith. LOL
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2021, 08:45:48 AM »
Depends on the boutique but unfortunately more likely to be the latter.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline c4all

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 10:17:57 AM »
Just try your luck. Who knows? When you try, there is at least a chance.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 10:57:03 AM »
From what I know, they will keep record in the system once you've given your interest. But whether they call or not is another thing. And it depends on the individual boutique itself as well. Not all AD's are indifferent, and not all AD's are nice - don't generalize, and don't give up! Happy hunting

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 12:02:13 PM »
In all fairness, the likelihood is slim to none, especially with  no purchase history. Some folks go as far as saying that boat has long sailed away. Last year my regular AD guy told me even spending 100k doesn't guarantee a 'call'. This year I hear that figure has gone up to 300k. But well...belum cuba belum tau la kan? Doesn't hurt to get in the shop n try our luck, but just leave it at that, a try. Don't get too hung up on it, n continue to enjoy what other maisons have available.

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 03:12:14 PM »
In all fairness, the likelihood is slim to none, especially with  no purchase history. Some folks go as far as saying that boat has long sailed away. Last year my regular AD guy told me even spending 100k doesn't guarantee a 'call'. This year I hear that figure has gone up to 300k. But well...belum cuba belum tau la kan? Doesn't hurt to get in the shop n try our luck, but just leave it at that, a try. Don't get too hung up on it, n continue to enjoy what other maisons have available.

Agreed. many other fish in the sea!

Offline faizall

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 03:36:12 PM »
From what I know, they will keep record in the system once you've given your interest. But whether they call or not is another thing. And it depends on the individual boutique itself as well. Not all AD's are indifferent, and not all AD's are nice - don't generalize, and don't give up! Happy hunting

Thanks guys. Haha agreed. Totally just try my luck. Will update this forum if miracle happen and I got a call from them later down the road. Most probably gonna have to ask my grandson to accompany me to collect the watch by that time.  ;D

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 04:00:06 PM »
There simply no such thing as luck anymore..

U need to spend around 150k for them to offer you a exp or AK.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 04:01:43 PM »

Yes, just revised. Certain hot sport models now need 300k spending to secure one ...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 06:29:06 PM »
Every day, many people will walk into an AD and ask about "getting on the list" for a sports model.. and depending on whether you're talking to an SA (Sales Assistant) or the Manager....

1. it depends if said person has his own interest ahead of customers ie. does he have special deals lined up with a grey dealer.

2. are you someone who has done your homework and trying your luck to get a sports model so you can make a profit selling it after you get it..

3. do you look like one of those "innocent looking" people sent in by other grey dealers to try and secure a sports model

4. or are you a wannabe grey dealer who is looking to "network" and get a new supplier

Communication is key and if you are lucky enough to meet the right person in an AD and convince them you're not just in it to make a profit and truly looking to buy to keep, then your chances are higher. This would be your biggest hurdle. Normally, these AD have a long list of loyal customers all waiting for new stocks to add to their collection so the AD will obviously try to satisfy that demand first. However, if you're able to strike a good relationship with the AD and communicate regularly, they will remember you when your desired piece shows up. That of course depends if they think of you and not someone else.

So technically, it's true there isn't a list written on the wall, it's more like who they remember...

I recall reading comments here from someone who kept complaining about how hard it was to get pieces at an AD and all the regular horror stories but months later end up selling many pieces here so obviously a grey dealer.

The 124270 does not seem to be a very "hot" model but it is a recent release and there would be some demand for it. Expect demand to taper out quite quickly and better chances next year. Did you ask if it would be easier to get the 124273 instead?

Offline Gary Teong

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 07:00:28 PM »
How about a DJ. I was still getting offers on several ss models black/white/roman markers within weeks. Finally settled on a silver dial. Apparently there is also a long waiting list for blue dials and the new models.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

Offline faizall

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »
Every day, many people will walk into an AD and ask about "getting on the list" for a sports model.. and depending on whether you're talking to an SA (Sales Assistant) or the Manager....

1. it depends if said person has his own interest ahead of customers ie. does he have special deals lined up with a grey dealer.

2. are you someone who has done your homework and trying your luck to get a sports model so you can make a profit selling it after you get it..

3. do you look like one of those "innocent looking" people sent in by other grey dealers to try and secure a sports model

4. or are you a wannabe grey dealer who is looking to "network" and get a new supplier

Communication is key and if you are lucky enough to meet the right person in an AD and convince them you're not just in it to make a profit and truly looking to buy to keep, then your chances are higher. This would be your biggest hurdle. Normally, these AD have a long list of loyal customers all waiting for new stocks to add to their collection so the AD will obviously try to satisfy that demand first. However, if you're able to strike a good relationship with the AD and communicate regularly, they will remember you when your desired piece shows up. That of course depends if they think of you and not someone else.

So technically, it's true there isn't a list written on the wall, it's more like who they remember...

I recall reading comments here from someone who kept complaining about how hard it was to get pieces at an AD and all the regular horror stories but months later end up selling many pieces here so obviously a grey dealer.

The 124270 does not seem to be a very "hot" model but it is a recent release and there would be some demand for it. Expect demand to taper out quite quickly and better chances next year. Did you ask if it would be easier to get the 124273 instead?

Nicely put Sifu. I was digging the grey market earlier for the 14270 as this is my dream watch. Then the 124270 pop up with a shining armor intrigued me. I believe I just met with the SA during my visit, share my interest and story of how I endup in front of him that day just to try my luck. Prev I was visiting their next door rival Omega (literally next door at Suria KLCC) for the Omega Aquaterra 38mm to try on hands but my heart still goes to the Explorer. Haha lets hope for some miracle.  124273 dual tone, maybe not yet for me.  :D

How about a DJ. I was still getting offers on several ss models black/white/roman markers within weeks. Finally settled on a silver dial. Apparently there is also a long waiting list for blue dials and the new models.

Sent from my SM-G985F using Tapatalk

I've been offered with the DJ last week too, but I can just afford only 1 unit for now. So I just save if the miracle happen. Lol

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2021, 07:49:21 PM »
DJ41 SS Wimbledon , Blue or Rhodium are kinda rare..

Still can get, but need to wait ..

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 02:35:24 PM »
Most probably gonna have to ask my grandson to accompany me to collect the watch by that time.  ;D

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 04:18:05 PM »
Most probably gonna have to ask my grandson to accompany me to collect the watch by that time.  ;D

funniest thing I've seen today...! :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline faizall

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2021, 06:15:14 AM »

The most accurate statement of all time! lol ;D

Offline toastgrillecheese

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2021, 11:27:51 AM »
Sharing my recent experience at an AD which may add a new perspective to this discussion.

By coincidence, I walked into an AD and saw a ladies datejust in a configuration that I would like to gift my partner. I had initially thought of getting it next year, but since its already right there, I purchased it.

Prior to this, I had already included my name in a "list", and obviously there were no calls. It wasn't for a sports model, but an OP. My name was in that "list" since early this year. Each time I check with the SA (even times when I checked in for a 36mm datejust), the same answer is given, will check, not sure, etc. I think they are trained not to say no.

Anyway, I've oftentimes read about building a purchase history, but this was not initially discussed or brought up in any way by the SA. This changed when I purchased a piece off their display cabinet.

I wanted to set things straight as I was initially contemplating of purchasing from the grey market. I asked the SA if it was impossible to get a piece from the AD, as I've been waiting for a long time and that I was intending to get the Explorer 2 off the grey market. The answer he gave filled me with hope. He said that since I've already purchased from him, he now knows my preference of which piece I'd like. When the piece does come in, he'll offer it to me. He said that although I wouldn't be able to get it immediately, but I will be able to get it. He also advised me to not get from the grey market, as its very expensive, why waste money. As I was walking out the door, he told me to wait for the good news.

Obviously, this made me really happy. I genuinely thought that I'll be able to actually purchase something I want at retail.

However, when I finally gifted the watch to my partner and went with her to get it sized at the AD, he tried upselling me to build a purchase history of 80k, to which he'll put my name in for a sub date instead of the explorer 2. When I asked what would help me build that purchase history, he told me that its basically any non-professional watch models (e.g., datejusts). This is strange, because even if I wanted to, there weren't any pieces to purchase in the first place, so how am I supposed to build a purchase history?

The store I went to was selling only Rolex and Patek. I was thinking that I could build a purchase history with the company itself, and so I went over to their other store which has a wider selection of brands. But, when I was there, the SA told me that purchase history is based on which store I've bought from, and not an overall purchase history from the company.

So... as much as I tried to bend backwards to fulfill this ridiculous demand, it is completely impractical to build a purchase history with a store that doesn't have anything to sell. If this is how they would like to do business, I would think that adding jewelry or more brands at their store would've been helpful.

Anyway, I went over to a boutique and got a non-Rolex piece I liked. At this point, I'm not even sure if I'll ever be called to purchase a Rolex. Would've appreciated if SAs could just give a firm answer yes/ no or just state beforehand how much purchase history they would like to offer me a watch. At the least I know what I would need to spend to get what I want, instead of the what ifs or maybes. But I suppose this is wishful thinking  :Dancing_banana:

An overall frustrating experience, which is why people go to grey.

tl;dr

1) SA will talk to you about building a purchase history once you've purchased something from them. Otherwise, they'll just take your name and put you on a list, which I assume is a make belief list that serves no purpose.
2) I was offered a sub date at 80k purchase history (non sports models). Unsure if this is a sure thing or a way to sell me more stuff for a chance of getting it. This was a verbal proposal only.
3) It is best to buy from stores that sells Rolex + other brands. Otherwise, you'd have nothing to buy to build your purchase history.

I personally think its too much of a hassle...but wouldn't want to pay grey prices also. In the mean time, I'll just enjoy life with what I have. Who knows, there might be that 1% chance that I'll get a call to pick up that Rolex one day  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline gunsnroses

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2021, 12:26:40 PM »
Let me share my story. I've wanted a Rolex in 36mm as my wrist is small and I can't wear anything bigger without it looking weird. I've been to numerous Rolex boutiques and I've learned that asking outright for sport models won't get you anywhere.

So this time, I went in and explained my wrist size and my conundrum when purchasing watches. I did the same with 2 different Rolex ADs and I left my name there mentioning I would like a 36mm steel date just should the opportunity arise. This was sometime in Oct last year (2020).

Within about a month of leaving my name, I got a call from 2 separate ADs, the first one offering me a 36mm 126234 with white roman dial. I turned it down as I didn't like the dial combination. A week later, I was offered from another AD a blue faced 126200 (baton hands). Immediately I jumped at the opportunity and bought it outright (no discount of course).

This experience has since renewed my faith in the ADs but the sales lady that offered me the 126200 has since been transferred to sell Hublot instead and I am not really a fan of Hublot watches. My next grail is the new 124270 Explorer 1. However, I believe this will be much more difficult to achieve.

Anyway, I have started my journey again and hopefully it will bear fruit again.

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2021, 01:39:29 PM »
Thx for sharing ur experiences guys. Its an interesting dichotomy indeed, between disappointment and hope.

I have to say the idea of buying from stores that carry the desired brand as well as others makes sense - there really is no way to build a product purchase history when there is no product to purchase. Having said that though, I would caution that its probably a good idea to find out and make it clear whether the purchase would be taken into account towards the "history" so to speak, and how much is actually needed. Wouldn't want to have to dump a whole wad of cash and still end up on a fantasy wishlist.

Out of curiosity, are Datejusts that highly desirable these days that it requires a call back? (Either SS or TT?)

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2021, 02:55:13 PM »
Thx for sharing ur experiences guys. Its an interesting dichotomy indeed, between disappointment and hope.

I have to say the idea of buying from stores that carry the desired brand as well as others makes sense - there really is no way to build a product purchase history when there is no product to purchase. Having said that though, I would caution that its probably a good idea to find out and make it clear whether the purchase would be taken into account towards the "history" so to speak, and how much is actually needed. Wouldn't want to have to dump a whole wad of cash and still end up on a fantasy wishlist.

Out of curiosity, are Datejusts that highly desirable these days that it requires a call back? (Either SS or TT?)

All OP and DJ Ss r now in ‘Sport Model’ Category..need to archive certain profile to get one..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2021, 06:45:41 PM »
of course OP should realise that the only people who actually reply to threads like these are:

a. the bitter ones who can't seem to get any sports models at AD

b. the grey dealers who are here to push you towards that market

c. or those that made a futile attempt at an AD and have since given up

remember if you're in a store to buy only Rolex or any other watch that has a premium on the grey market, the SA will see you as a potential flipper and if you're going to profit from it, they would also want to as well.

those who do actually get what they want from ADs rarely if ever want to share who/where they get it from..

;D

::)

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2021, 08:10:03 PM »
I'd like to add another demographic here:

d. the one who like to eat popcorn n watch the fireworks  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2021, 10:41:36 AM »
I'd like to add another demographic here:

d. the one who like to eat popcorn n watch the fireworks  :Laughing_on_floor:

Lolx!

Offline faizall

« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2021, 02:39:04 PM »
Hahaha thanks for all the reply. I will continue to try in the other AD and let see if I manage to secure one too. I've been browse around and the new 124270was selling like a hot cakes everywhere. maybe I should consider 126000 too (if it's available). well the watch hunting will always be the part of the experience and either you end up with a false hope or you manage to secured one...or I'll just go with the Seiko mods to Explorer 36mm and satisfied myself. lol  :Laughing_on_floor:
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 03:05:32 PM by faizall »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2021, 05:53:14 PM »
Hahaha thanks for all the reply. I will continue to try in the other AD and let see if I manage to secure one too. I've been browse around and the new 124270was selling like a hot cakes everywhere. maybe I should consider 126000 too (if it's available). well the watch hunting will always be the part of the experience and either you end up with a false hope or you manage to secured one...or I'll just go with the Seiko mods to Explorer 36mm and satisfied myself. lol  :Laughing_on_floor:

buying 126000 just because it's available may not satisfy the desire and you'll probably still look at the 124270 and wish for one.

if you had a good conversation with the SA where you left your name, pop in the store maybe every 3 weeks and say hi, show them your Seiko mods....  who knows you might annoy them enough to make them sell you one to get rid of you....