Author Topic: Deployment Clasp?  (Read 6173 times)

Offline ndtaan

Deployment Clasp?
« on: December 04, 2013, 02:31:22 PM »
HI,
I notice that almost all straps that are used here are without a deployment clasp.
I was just wondering why not many (or almost all) don't used it.
For me I can't live without one,if I'm on the strap.

Care to share why you guys don't used it.
Is it the cost or preference or anything?

Thanks.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Re: Deployment Clasp?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 04:00:14 PM »
No special reason

I nvr like those troublesome butterfly deployant bucklt
Single fold is ok, but I don't hv small dress watch... No big watches with single fold deployant actually

Besides that I'm more on big bold watches with thick leather
Those big buckle look better with them

Offline aceventura

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
HI,
I notice that almost all straps that are used here are without a deployment clasp.
I was just wondering why not many (or almost all) don't used it.
For me I can't live without one,if I'm on the strap.

Care to share why you guys don't used it.
Is it the cost or preference or anything?

Thanks.

Deployment clasp was never deployed on my wrist as I find it cumbersome to deal with the clasp. Besides, I wear mostly Pam homage watches and I like to switch the straps around pending on my mood. Most of all in my case I can't  lay a watch flat if a clasp is used is  the main reason.

Offline yinho

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2017, 01:45:39 PM »
On the other hand, i must use deployant clasp for all leather watch band as it definitely prolong the lifespan of leather strap itself.

Offline jimmyang

• watchstories.my
    • jimmyang.com
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 08:32:19 AM »
I use deployment clasp for more thick and expensive leathers. They prolong the life of the watch strap significantly and I don't need to see the creases everytime I take off my watch.
IG : watchstories.my

Offline whomstdve

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2017, 12:14:17 PM »
I feel u on this.

I cringe a little bit every time I use a leather strap without a deployment clasp, knowing the everyday fold and unfold of the strap to put on / undo the buckle will damage it bit by bit.

Offline KamEdita

Deployment Clasp
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 06:54:46 PM »
Thanks bro. Searching for what leather straps would be best for my baby tuna and I’m really liking those with deployment clasp. Will it cost me more or less than 5k?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vince78

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2020, 12:03:36 PM »
last i checked i am pretty sure its way below 5k for the deployment clasp

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 08:58:47 AM »
I'd like to give deployants a go but it seems like such a crap shoot la some how. Its so dependant on the size and shape of the wrist, have to actually try it out to see if it works. I've seen a number of types been talked about online, from Hirsch magic/sport/butterfly, RHD butterfly, CW Bader, Omega style... Thinking of trying out a Hirsch single fold sport some time soon to see if it would work. If it doesn't, perhaps I can tolak here to fellow forumer to try so tak rugi duit  ;)

Offline pleasuresaurus

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 12:09:59 PM »

I acquired 2 different deployment clasps and had the opportunity to use them as daily wear for some time. Thought I'd chime in and share some input on my observations.

Hirsch Sport
I acquired the 18mm Hirsch Sport, a single-fold deployment clasp, through WatchObsession to pair with the Hirsch Liberty straps I picked up. Build quality is excellent, really solid. Initially ordered a regular sized one, which couldn't be used because it can only take straps of up to 3.7mm thickness of straps. Had to get the plus-sized variant to accomodate the Liberty strap (4.0mm). Fitting a thick strap onto a clasp does take some effort, but otherwise it works as advertised. I must admit, it doesn't fit my 7in wrist quite as comfy as I would like. The metal fold does press a bit against the skin over my radial bone if strap adjustment is fit snug, either due to size or shape of my wrist. I'm often consciously aware of the strap being there (typically for straps with a buckle, u won't really "rasa" the watch, its just there firm and comfy against the skin of the wrist). Set the strap too loose and the watch becomes like a bangle. Over time I have gotten used to the sensation of the clasp against my skin and its fine, its not a deal breaker by any means. I just feel that it could be better. Which brings us nicely to the next clasp;

Omega-style
I picked up a 16mm China-made clone of the Omega AT single-fold clasp. I decided on this after having tried out an AT with a rubber strap one fine day and realizing that this was THE most comfy single-fold I have ever used, period. I believe this is mainly due to the way the clasp itself folds - it tucks the strap inwards rather than outwards. This means that its the strap material that presses against our skin, not the metal of the folding clasp. Since the Omega clasp costs in excess of RM1k and the cloned variant is barely RM50, the choice was a no brainer lah. The build quality is good, but the release mechanism can be finicky a bit - once in a while I have to fiddle with it slightly to loosen it. Considering the comfort it presents, to me, its really a non-issue. One important thing to bear in mind, these style clasps have really thin strap clearance la, like seriously nipis (buckle end thickness 2mm, maybe 2.5mm max for a really snug fit). Other than that they work really nicely. Since they fold inwards, your strap retainers won't be seeing much use. Also, you will need to mind the overall dimensions of the strap - if its not designed as an Omega strap, u need to make sure the thickness is within 2.0mm and the strap length is actually long enough to accomodate wearing it on your wrist. Using it on my existing strap (2.5mm thickness, 120/80mm length), I can just about fit it onto the clasp and just long enough to fit my wrist (using the very first pin buckle hole). All in all, I highly recommend this clasp format.

End note: when purchasing after market clasps, I now take note of the following:
- Try them on if u can (best case scenario)
- Read reviews and learn about its width and thickness clearances.
- Check this against the buckle-end dimensions of the strap u intend to Macguyver, make sure they fit
- Find out fitment on small, medium or large wrists. Also consider shape of wrists.
- How the single clasp actually folds - does it fold the strap outwards (meaning clasp fold is inner-most and against the skin) or inwards (meaning strap material is inner-most and against the skin).

*Note these observations I made are specifically for single fold clasps only. YMMV.