Author Topic: False scarcity with Tudor Black Bay 58  (Read 6841 times)

Offline JeetBoy

False scarcity with Tudor Black Bay 58
« on: March 01, 2020, 03:15:31 PM »
Hey guys, so been looking at the Black Bay 58 for a while now and got put off because every AD said "long waitlist" and some wanted the cash up front before putting my name on the list. However, earlier this week I was talking to one of the ADs and we just talked watches for a while and before I left he asked me to just leave my number incase one comes by. 2 days later, he calls me and tells me one just came in and asks me if I was interested.

So, was just curious.. are the BB58s really that hard to come by and I got lucky cause the AD chose me or is this just a Rolex scarcity tactic ? 

Either way, is the watch really that high in demand where I could sell mine off close to or even higher than retail ?

Offline G.MAC

Re: False scarcity with Tudor Black Bay 58
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 07:05:18 PM »
Congratulations on your acquisition. As for demand for this model, there is high demand for one selling at retail or below with an unnamed card. Whilst desirable, many are willing to wait for a Black Bay 58 to be available at the AD or even pass on one upon sighting the watch. You can see that Black Bay 58s selling above retail are not moving as quick if at all in dealers or online. I would say you are very fortunate to get one and that you should wear it in good health.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 07:49:19 AM »
I was also offered one at an AD and I passed on it. While they are a little harder to find, they are not scarce. It’s a beautiful watch...wear it in the best of health.

Offline JeetBoy

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 07:46:18 AM »
Congratulations on your acquisition. As for demand for this model, there is high demand for one selling at retail or below with an unnamed card. Whilst desirable, many are willing to wait for a Black Bay 58 to be available at the AD or even pass on one upon sighting the watch. You can see that Black Bay 58s selling above retail are not moving as quick if at all in dealers or online. I would say you are very fortunate to get one and that you should wear it in good health.

Yeah, noticed that as well from visiting other sites. Oh well, will sell if the price is right or I could just keep it. No issues there, watch really is a beauty. Thanks! 

Offline JeetBoy

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 07:48:44 AM »
I was also offered one at an AD and I passed on it. While they are a little harder to find, they are not scarce. It’s a beautiful watch...wear it in the best of health.

Thanks! Any reason why you passed on it ? I bought it on impulse cause I thought if I didn't like it, probably would be able to sell it without it taking a major hit on the resale value.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 02:45:18 PM »

Thanks! Any reason why you passed on it ? I bought it on impulse cause I thought if I didn't like it, probably would be able to sell it without it taking a major hit on the resale value.
Couldn’t think of which watch I have to let go to buy this. In this economy, I can’t afford to splurge. And I like what I have at the moment. So I will have to pass. Unless I suddenly have an extra 20K sitting around la...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 04:19:32 PM »

It was the hype that made you buy. That is why the manufacturer does not move to eliminate the hype.

I can see why potential buyers are having second thoughts about dropping 20k on this.

Offline wingman7

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 08:51:12 AM »

I think it is not that difficult to get one across the causeway. Mostly letting go below SGD5000. Can check some of the prices from Carousell Singapore.

It was the hype that made you buy. That is why the manufacturer does not move to eliminate the hype.

I can see why potential buyers are having second thoughts about dropping 20k on this.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »
let see how long the Tudor hunger marketing will last...

Offline uncle_ray

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2020, 02:16:53 PM »
It's the hype. Popular, newer Tudor releases tend to be harder to get initially but eventually stock stops being a problem. Look at the GMT, Bronze, Chrono S&G etc. If you want one, just call an AD and they should be able to get you one pretty quickly. Don't play the 'buy-over-retail' game for a watch, at least not for a Tudor. They will be releasing new variations of the BB58 soon, and I think we are going to see a lot of them around

PS: I received a call from my AD a few weeks back that they have the 58 Had to pass though, since my last acquisition was not too long ago.

Sent from my SM-A507FN using Tapatalk

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2020, 03:01:41 PM »
It's the hype. Popular, newer Tudor releases tend to be harder to get initially but eventually stock stops being a problem. Look at the GMT, Bronze, Chrono S&G etc. If you want one, just call an AD and they should be able to get you one pretty quickly. Don't play the 'buy-over-retail' game for a watch, at least not for a Tudor. They will be releasing new variations of the BB58 soon, and I think we are going to see a lot of them around

PS: I received a call from my AD a few weeks back that they have the 58 Had to pass though, since my last acquisition was not too long ago.

Sent from my SM-A507FN using Tapatalk

well said... watches collection is a journey... I don't buy above retails except those discon model

Offline tention

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 07:59:23 PM »
Anyone know what's the retail price now in Malaysia after the price hike in 2020?

Offline WKChin

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2020, 05:42:38 AM »
Anyone know what's the retail price now in Malaysia after the price hike in 2020?
Was offered 14+ by AD in early Feb. but waitlist la, not ready stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline W3ll

« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2020, 08:03:42 AM »

14150 for the BB58
15570 for the GMT

Offline heart_killer39

• Freshie
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2020, 09:30:50 AM »
Hey guys, so been looking at the Black Bay 58 for a while now and got put off because every AD said "long waitlist" and some wanted the cash up front before putting my name on the list. However, earlier this week I was talking to one of the ADs and we just talked watches for a while and before I left he asked me to just leave my number incase one comes by. 2 days later, he calls me and tells me one just came in and asks me if I was interested.

So, was just curious.. are the BB58s really that hard to come by and I got lucky cause the AD chose me or is this just a Rolex scarcity tactic ? 

Either way, is the watch really that high in demand where I could sell mine off close to or even higher than retail ?

ThAt is a beautiful timepiece and been eyeing to get one for ages.

Just curious, was any discount offered to you ?

Now coming to scarcity, spoke to a few friends and Tudor is definitely trying to follow the moves made by ROLEX which totally makes me feel disgusted especially when watch enthusiast like you who sincerely would want to get a hand on these pieces find it hard to do so