Author Topic: Watches and Pens  (Read 12625 times)

Offline Enkidu

Re: Watches and Pens
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 02:22:18 PM »
Anyway with david down south, enkidu in Greater China most of the time, how can we wrangle a gtg?
Thirdman (sorry I know the other 2 guys personally) I hope to get ur name soon. You sound the most serious collector amongst all of us in this group, so you need to show the way in the world of pens.
Also btw we currently share a common watch (JLC NSDA) and a common pen (M800 Souveran in green barrel)
I also used to own 3 watches in your current collection, Omega Speedmaster, Planet Ocean chronograph co-axial and Seamaster Professional co-axial but all sold.

Cheers...

Yea, it's tough these days for me when it comes to attending GTG, but not impossible!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Question from a "pen-noob": What sort of price range (listed / retail price) are we looking at when it comes to Pilot Namiki or Sailor? Any restriction on the sort of ink you should use?  ???

Offline engkow

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 05:13:05 PM »
Most of you all have expensive taste.. mine mostly Parkers, Lamys mostly ballpen, roller and some fountain pens

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2013, 10:20:46 AM »

Yea, it's tough these days for me when it comes to attending GTG, but not impossible!!!  :laugh: :laugh:

Question from a "pen-noob": What sort of price range (listed / retail price) are we looking at when it comes to Pilot Namiki or Sailor? Any restriction on the sort of ink you should use?  ???

Pen noob myself but the range can be quite large but around USD300 and the price can be had on the online sites. My Pilot Custom 823 I paid about US300 while the Pilot Custom 74 I paid about US160. Both are demonstrators. I do not own any Sailors atm.

I think inks by the same brand is safe just that some inks with pigments or inks for brush such as those for Chinese calligraphy should be avoided. Pilot inks are very nice.  :thumbsup:
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT
Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT
Omega Seamaster 300m
JLC Master Control Chronograph
JLC Master Compressor Diving Alarm Navy SEALs

Offline sidestreaker

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2013, 11:06:19 AM »

I have a standard sailor 1911 with Extra Fine nib, really handy if you're writing Chinese character (especially if you're into traditional character stroke). Japanese nibs have very different feel and finer compared to European pens. My favourite ink with this is Pilot Iroshizuku. 

I'd say its good value for money, thought the resin is not as 'expensive' feel as MB but still very solid nonetheless.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2013, 11:09:24 AM by sidestreaker »

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2013, 12:30:52 PM »
I have finally purchased a Sailor pen after all these while. It is a Sailor 1911 Large size Realo. I was reluctant earlier because I thought the design of the pen was too similar to the other pens that I have, particularly the MB. But I took the dive and am now totally amazed by the nib performance.

Japanese nibs are finer than their European counterparts. I usually use a Medium nib but for this Sailor, I ordered a broad nib which wrote like a medium nib.

The "large" was not particularly large. It is a tad smaller than my M800 and MB 146 but it writes ok. The pen has fantastic balance. Here is a quick photo of the pen. The ink window is well implemented.

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT
Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT
Omega Seamaster 300m
JLC Master Control Chronograph
JLC Master Compressor Diving Alarm Navy SEALs