Author Topic: Watches and Pens  (Read 12626 times)

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
Watches and Pens
« on: November 10, 2013, 07:33:03 PM »
Hi, thought of posting some of my fountain pens and my Omega collection. The pens are Pelikan Souveran M800 in various color. The Black M805 is in the office, so is the M600. The MBs are the 149, 146 and the Unicef edition. The Omegas are as per my signature.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2013, 07:34:57 PM by thirdman »
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT
Omega Speedmaster Broad Arrow GMT
Omega Seamaster 300m
JLC Master Control Chronograph
JLC Master Compressor Diving Alarm Navy SEALs

Offline davidtth

Re: Watches and Pens
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2013, 11:08:50 AM »
great collection you have there, do have some close up for each item would be cool  :thumbsup:

just wonder, why having same pelikan m800 in various of color since its same ?  ???

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2013, 11:23:31 AM »
Hi,

Ok I will take some close up pics. Re the M800, is just I wanted various colors to use, so the Red one contains red ink, green one contains green ink. I use Diamine inks.

I wonder if other members here also collects fountain pens and if yes, would like to hear from you all sifus.

Thanks!
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline davidtth

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2013, 11:48:40 AM »
thanks ! that's interesting, mind show us some of your works ? :)

recently i'm trying to look around for a fountain pen to begin my hobby, saw ur pelikan M800 online, may drop by some shop to try out soon

i'm sure they are few members into pen collection too, btw, welcome aboard thirdman  :Cheers:

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2013, 11:56:04 AM »
Hi, I got many of my pens from https://www.pen Great price and service. I am not affiliated or associated with them in any ways. Just a satisfied customer.

I just use the pens to write different things on different documents.

Many thanks from your welcome!

[Please do not post commercial link, please use PM - Forum Mods]
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 12:06:02 PM by ck77 »
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 12:11:00 PM »
Hi,

Here's a close up wrist shot on what I am wearing today.

Sorry about the commercial link.  :'(
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline davidtth

« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 12:18:40 PM »
yup the pen g shop are well known, i have few ball/roller pen was bought from there, but never started with any fountain as i had very bad exp with leaking back to young time, must be not knowing how to take care of it :p

i can see you are omega lover there   :-*

Offline e1fnd

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 06:01:36 PM »
I understand from my friends who collect pens that the value of pens appreciates?

Is that right or am I being conned? :Confused:

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
Hi David,

I had bad experiences leaking too but have soon overcome them. The piston fillers are a charm to use.

Yes am an Omega lover but JLC always pulls the heart away. But Omega is really solid and good, well finished and all. Plus is really good value for money, imho, for all those new movements and finishing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 06:04:49 PM »
I understand from my friends who collect pens that the value of pens appreciates?

Is that right or am I being conned? :Confused:

Not sure but prices of pens really go up. And well taken care off, they are a joy to use. Seems like those precious resins getting more and more precious by the year but Pelikans are such good writers, they are totally worth it and great value. Not to want to start another flame or comparisons, but Pelikans vs MB is like Omega vs Rolex. Ooops. Hope i won't be in trouble saying it. Haha.

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2013, 06:23:06 PM »
Hi,

Here'e the Planet Ocean 45.5mm. Water resistance 2,000 feet. Movement: Omega 8500.

Enjoy!

By the way, in the background are Paulson poker chips, so that it feels a bit like Bond. haha.  :Cheers:

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 09:22:56 AM »
hi david,

I'm no pen master but since school days, I've used over the many many years Cross, Sheaffer, Parker, Watermann, Mont Blanc, ST Dupont. But for the last 8 yrs I've used only the Pelikan M800 Souveran.

1st the Pelikan M800 Souveran is one of only a few pen makers that make oblique nibs for left handers.
2nd literally ALL my pens used to leak after awhile. The worst was my Watermann & MB which leaked several times over the years, costing me abt RM 150 each time to service at MB boutique or the Waterman AD. The Cross, Sheaffers, Parker,ST Dupont leaked but not that often.

I'm not saying that Pelikan is the best pen out there but for me, a leftie, this is the only pen that has not leaked since I bought it 8 yrs ago and the oblique nib is very smooth for my leftie handwriting.

You should consider the Namiki and the Sailor as well. The Sailor looks like a MB minus the star but the writing is creamy smooth and BTW it costs a lot more than a MB. The Namiki, Sailor nibs are hand ground and polished, that's why they write so creamy smooth, gliding over the paper.

Some of my friends swear by Caran d Ache quality too. I haven't tried any.
Montegrappa has got a bad reputation amongst those ppl I know who use them. Anyway they are aredy out of business.

recently i'm trying to look around for a fountain pen to begin my hobby, saw ur pelikan M800 online, may drop by some shop to try out soon

i'm sure they are few members into pen collection too, btw, welcome aboard thirdman  :Cheers:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 09:28:36 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline davidtth

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2013, 09:40:36 AM »
woa Joseph! never know you into it too  :o

i'm still deciding between M400/800, def the 800 feels better with bigger size, but price wise is like 30-40% more than M400 with same nib but only the feeling

just tried the MB starwalk fountain pen, not as smooth as pelikan i would say with similar pricing range, i believe MB high range should be good

Namiki is when get serious about collecting, pelikan is like Glashutte Original for me while Namiki is like Grand Seiko  ;D

hi david,

I'm no pen master but since school days, I've used over the many many years Cross, Sheaffer, Parker, Watermann, Mont Blanc, ST Dupont. But for the last 8 yrs I've used only the Pelikan M800 Souveran.

1st the Pelikan M800 Souveran is one of only a few pen makers that make oblique nibs for left handers.
2nd literally ALL my pens used to leak after awhile. The worst was my Watermann & MB which leaked several times over the years, costing me abt RM 150 each time to service at MB boutique or the Waterman AD. The Cross, Sheaffers, Parker,ST Dupont leaked but not that often.

I'm not saying that Pelikan is the best pen out there but for me, a leftie, this is the only pen that has not leaked since I bought it 8 yrs ago and the oblique nib is very smooth for my leftie handwriting.

You should consider the Namiki and the Sailor as well. The Sailor looks like a MB minus the star but the writing is creamy smooth and BTW it costs a lot more than a MB. The Namiki, Sailor nibs are hand ground and polished, that's why they write so creamy smooth, gliding over the paper.

Some of my friends swear by Caran d Ache quality too. I haven't tried any.
Montegrappa has got a bad reputation amongst those ppl I know who use them. Anyway they are aredy out of business.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2013, 10:46:22 AM »
Its normal for us to like all fine & beautiful things esp if and when we can afford it.. :laugh:

BTW you may think size of d pen is not impt but it is..
You must choose a size that is d most comfortable for you to hold.
Otherwise your hand will feel tired after writing awhile..
In my case, after using the M800 size anything smaller doesn't feel comfortable.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 10:52:32 AM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2013, 10:12:22 PM »
Its normal for us to like all fine & beautiful things esp if and when we can afford it.. :laugh:

In my case, after using the M800 size anything smaller doesn't feel comfortable.

David + joseph,

Wow, didn't know you two blokes are into pens as well!! Next time we should have a watches and pens GTG... :laugh: :laugh:

Honestly, I am not familiar with pens but here are some of mine....

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2013, 06:50:23 AM »

David + joseph,

Wow, didn't know you two blokes are into pens as well!! Next time we should have a watches and pens GTG... :laugh: :laugh:

That's nice. Do you all have GTG often?

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 11:36:33 AM »
Hi,

I wonder what ink do you all use? I am currently using J Herbin Perle Noir for my black pen and for color, I use Diamine, now using the Red Dragon for red, Chocolate brown for brown, Midnight Blue for blue and Emerald Green for Green.

Below is a picture of the Aqua Terra Chronograph GMT with the Pelikan M805. This is currently my favorite pen. It writes very well and provides very good feedback.

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2013, 12:04:16 PM »
Dear Enkidu, Thirdman,David,

I don't know abt you guys but I can't be considered to be 'into pens' unlike 'into watches'.
I don't research on pens but rather have been using 1 brand after the other, searching for the elusive grail of a smooth writing, non leaking and non problematic fountain pen.
So far its been by trial and error and those pens that fail get relegated into oblivion and sometimes sold if someone else likes it.
Currently I only have the Pelikan M800 Souveran fountain and roller ball set, a Mont Blanc fountain/rollerball which after the last service has been kept in its box unused for years, some Sheaffers, Cross, Parkers, Lamy lying around somewhere probably all clogged up with dried ink.
The ST Dupont fountain/rollerball set was sold very cheap to a friend who liked it a lot and the nib suited his style of writing.

Anyway with david down south, enkidu in Greater China most of the time, how can we wrangle a gtg?
Thirdman (sorry I know the other 2 guys personally) I hope to get ur name soon. You sound the most serious collector amongst all of us in this group, so you need to show the way in the world of pens.
Also btw we currently share a common watch (JLC NSDA) and a common pen (M800 Souveran in green barrel)
I also used to own 3 watches in your current collection, Omega Speedmaster, Planet Ocean chronograph co-axial and Seamaster Professional co-axial but all sold.

Cheers...

David + joseph,

That's nice. Do you all have GTG often?
« Last Edit: November 13, 2013, 12:10:43 PM by JOS2012 »

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2013, 12:11:20 PM »
Hi!

Great to be in the company of ppl with similar tastes :) Anyways, I am not really so much a fountain pen person, unlike those guys at fountainpennetwork. But I have tried a few and found the Pelikans to be really my cup of tea. Pilot pens are pretty good too, Custom 74 or Custom 823 but they write a lot smoother than my Pelikans and I like to feel some traction and feedback from my nibs instead of a very butter smooth type.

Many thanks for sharing!  :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2013, 12:32:16 PM »
Looks like most of us have good experience with the Pelikans although they are hardly seen on most people..

The Pilots, Namikis and Sailors are really excellent too but I don't even want to go there...
another expensive minefield.... saw Namiki and Sailor hand made, gold lacquered costing upwards of RM 30K before..

Luckily I'm not much of a scribe.....

BTW anyone knows where I can find good range of the higher end Pilot fountains? the PG doesn't seem to have any.

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2013, 12:35:31 PM »
Hi,

I have purchased and have had excellent experience with a site. will PM you.

Again, no affiliations whatsoever. Just a customer.

Best regards,
Ho.
Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline davidtth

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2013, 07:00:45 PM »
finally got my very 1st fine fountain pen, did many try out and yes for the price range i find the pelikan is best among all, especially the ink fill system is so easy and hassle-free !

was looking to get Pelikan Sapphire or Topaz but no stock so end up with normal 4001 royal blue. Not sure there are any better recommend for blue ?  :)

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2013, 09:33:58 PM »
Congrats, david.
Do post up a pic of ur new toy
I just hope this doesn't re-start an interest to acquire more fountain pens.

I'm aredy thinking of looking out for Pilot, Namiki & Sailor on my Tokyo trip which is coming up very soon...

finally got my very 1st fine fountain pen, did many try out and yes for the price range i find the pelikan is best among all, especially the ink fill system is so easy and hassle-free !

was looking to get Pelikan Sapphire or Topaz but no stock so end up with normal 4001 royal blue. Not sure there are any better recommend for blue ?  :)

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 06:31:46 AM »

Hi! Congrats and yes please post pics! What about a try of the Diamine Midnight Blue but if that is too dark, perhaps the Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-peki. I have also tried some others including Montblanc's one but have forgotten about them. haha.

My current daily beater is the Diamine which for me is good because it is wet but not so wet and takes forever to dry plus it is dark blue.

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m

Offline thirdman

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 06:35:27 AM »
Congrats, david.
Do post up a pic of ur new toy
I just hope this doesn't re-start an interest to acquire more fountain pens.

I'm aredy thinking of looking out for Pilot, Namiki & Sailor on my Tokyo trip which is coming up very soon...

Hi!

Wow, that's nice. I think Pilot and Namiki are one now. Sailors doesn't sing to me still coz I felt it quite generic and MB-like so far those I see.... but I have heard many ppl sing praises for them.

Have a great trip!!

Omega Speedmaster 9300
Omega PO XL 8500
Omega Aqua Terra 8500
Omega Seamaster 300m