Author Topic: Any FX Nikon dslr users in the house? Need advice.  (Read 5902 times)

Offline dualcarb

Any FX Nikon dslr users in the house? Need advice.
« on: January 14, 2017, 06:49:07 AM »
Just as the title states, I have a few questions that I need to ask. I am currently using the old workhorse the D700. It has been a good many years. My needs for better performance has somewhat edged up a little and the D700, great as it is has been found lacking in some departments. Namely my need for higher ISO performance and video recording. I also crop quite a bit and 12.1 megapixels is sometimes inadequate. So time for an upgrade.

Having said all that, and after doing some research, my choice is now downtown the D750 and D810. They both have something I want and I like. But the D810 worries me with the large pixel count and photos might take up too much hard drive space. Interface wise the D810 would be closest to my old D700. But then the D750 is not too difficult to get used to.

So here I am, asking the members here who have had the opportunity to have handled both. Which do you like best?

Cheers and thank you
Patrick

Offline Everdying

Re: Any FX Nikon dslr users in the house? Need advice.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2017, 07:24:22 AM »
in terms of noise control, the D750 would be a marginal winner over the D810.
you can probably read enough reviews to come up with the same conclusion.

if i had to choose between those 2, even tho i really like having the AF-ON button...my choice will be the D750.
slightly faster FPS.
lighter.
uses 2xSD instead of a mix of CF and SD.
of cos as u want to do video, the D750 also has a flip LCD...kinda no brainer purchase here.

btw are u cropping so much that u need 36mp?

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 07:15:13 PM »
Agreed, having the AF on button is fantastic when needing to refocus quickly esp in video mode. I need to crop a lot because I only go out with my 24 2.8 and 50 1.4 these days. I sold off my 24-70 2.8 after only using it for a year as it is too heavy. And in terms of sharpness when shooting wide open, nothing beats primes. The 36mp will come in handy when the need to crop comes along. I have two kids and having a faster AF system really helps.

Anyway, thank you for the kind advice. And the deed is already done. I picked the 810 over the 750 for the buffer rate and having a more comfy "feel" when handling the camera. Interface of the 810 really is more similar to my old workhorse compared to the 750. And 36mp is really hard to beat. 19mb per jpeg isn't so bad after all.

Offline Everdying

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 05:46:02 AM »
ah interesting choice.
just wondering if the older 24mm u have is able to resolve all the megapixels of the D810.
i would think it'll be at its limit on the D750.

Offline dualcarb

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 12:42:08 PM »
ah interesting choice.
just wondering if the older 24mm u have is able to resolve all the megapixels of the D810.
i would think it'll be at its limit on the D750.
I was also wondering the same thing when I got the D810. The 24mm 2.8 was my favourite lens during the years that I was using the D700. But I read somewhere that the D810 resolves the issues with older lenses as compared to the D800/D800E. This is a sample pic taken with my old faithful wide open at ISO1600 1/60th sec. JPEG straight out of the camera with no PP. Fluorescent lighting at my in-law's place. Auto white balance. Set at Adobe RGB and nothing else.

I am quite happy with the performance of the lens paired with the 810. So glad I don't have to buy new lenses as I also have an old FM2N. I prefer to buy AF-D lenses so that I can use both manual and digital bodies.
Right now I am a happy camper and I will be using this body for a long long time. My D700 lasted me 7 years and it has no issues except for the fact that it only has 12.1MP. ISO1600 is the max that I dare go with the D700 and noise is already evident. But I detect no noise at this sensitivity with the 810.