Author Topic: Rolex Prices Tanking  (Read 61040 times)

Offline Gentlemen101

Re: Rolex Prices Tanking
« Reply #225 on: April 12, 2021, 03:13:51 PM »

From what I heard from an SA before (after I bought a not so desirable piece at that point) - you will need around RM200k in total purchase history - this was about 2 years ago. Then - you will get in the "Real" waiting list. Still a waiting list. Not confirmed. He even shared how many pieces their outlet received roughly throughout that year.

In another AD, I got a 114060 before - my mistake was to quote that as purchase history - because if you did not buy any other models from them before - they will de-prioritize you even more as you already 'got' your sports model. They will save that for other whales who are willing to buy other models from them. They are looking at future potential. Not just history.

Sad, but true.

Thanks for sharing. I suppose this entry point of RM150-200k makes sense. Another question if you don't mind, if an AD offers different brands, will buying a non-Rolex brand (such as PP) count towards your spend history with that specific AD? or just towards the specific brand you bought?

You can buy other non-Rolex brand from them and it’s counts ..HG will have much more brands for u to choose..around 130-150k for a profile

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #226 on: April 12, 2021, 03:17:21 PM »

You can buy other non-Rolex brand from them and it’s counts ..HG will have much more brands for u to choose..around 130-150k for a profile

Noted with thanks! 

Offline bulletnos

« Reply #227 on: April 12, 2021, 06:55:14 PM »
Gentlemen101 is right  - u can get the likes of Hublot etc.

By the way, I asked Sincere watch last week, to get even the Vacheron Constantin Overseas, you also need purchase history!!!  :Scolding:

Patek...AP...Rolex...now even VC need additional purchase...habis la our watch hobby

Anyway, I did get some from AD, some from grey. Happy with both so far.  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 11:34:42 AM by bulletnos »

Offline dpkong

« Reply #228 on: April 12, 2021, 09:01:25 PM »

I'm not sure if you're speaking to me directly but I truly, honestly do not blame any one. I just want to buy the watch I want and I need to know exactly how and when I can get the watch, that's all.

I can assure you that in real life, you will definitely not see me as a condescending, cocky guy with the "look at me I've got money to spend" attitude. When I speak to these SAs in the ADs, I approach them with very sincere and humble attitude. I may have omitted that in my last post to make me look pushy, but bottom line is, I myself do business with other very successful people and I learn from all of them, I treat others the way I'd like to be treated, so I definitely speak with these SAs with utmost respect. I also don't act like I'm begging either, I'm sure you know what I mean.

I'm only curious about the "spend history" or "bundling" aspect of it because some members here mentioned it, while I myself have never heard it directly from the SAs despite many visits. To me, if the ADs has a precise requisite for me to get on the list, I definitely would try that out. 

It really doesn't matter to me though, because I have already gone grey for all of my pieces that I wanted and I'm content with my collection (for now). Still, I would want to begin a relationship with an AD because I never know if there's a next piece I want.

You make total sense and I don't disagree with you. And from the replies of other members here, it sure sounds like even the ADs don't know when or what pieces they will be getting, so I understand now that by asking them for a guarantee would not be the wisest thing to do - and so that really leaves me one sure way to obtain the piece I want, which is grey, and I've already done so long ago.

Not targeted at you specifically but then you'd know that anyway.

To be safe, let's not try to refer to it as purchase history rather a buying pattern. Watch fans will have a collection pattern etc.

And useless to try to talk about bundling because that would obviously make you look like a noob trying to get into the grey market. I bet these SAs have heard all the excuses we can come up with.

But as you've posted before about getting your grails from grey and happy with it so there.

What's annoying is hearing all the posters whine and moan about how hard it is to get hot models from AD bla bla bla and then next they're posting up watches for sale....

Maybe just need to be lucky to be able to find a good AD person to deal with and have a conversation with.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2021, 07:53:29 PM »
Rediculous pricing for Rolex sport model, overheat price tag i can say

That's why you're selling the Daytona?

:Laughing_on_floor:

The Pepsi Oyster looks good. want to change from panda and try

By dumping Daytona to buy Pepsi?

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #230 on: April 14, 2021, 01:14:22 PM »
Rediculous pricing for Rolex sport model, overheat price tag i can say

That's why you're selling the Daytona?

:Laughing_on_floor:

The Pepsi Oyster looks good. want to change from panda and try

By dumping Daytona to buy Pepsi?

Haha why not? In fact im buying in premium price, just sell in premium price and buy another model.
I feel Pepsi Oyster is quite pretty. Dont know hoe much price tag, mayb will sell at 120k when launch to Msia. Need to wait for somewhile

Offline Horotime

« Reply #231 on: April 14, 2021, 03:40:34 PM »
Well, even DJ are rare pieces in store nowadays.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #232 on: April 14, 2021, 03:50:37 PM »
What to do? It’s getting more and more reseller stores open...

They ‘sapu’ all the stock from AD..., there is really nothing left for fans nowadays...

Offline dpkong

« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2021, 05:34:49 PM »
What to do? It’s getting more and more reseller stores open...

They ‘sapu’ all the stock from AD..., there is really nothing left for fans nowadays...

So long as there are people buying new watches from grey dealers, the price will only keep going up...

Offline W3ll

« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2021, 11:12:17 PM »
HG need to spend 130k minimum for them to put you into ‘waiting lists’ for sp model.

Strangely, new buyer still hoping for a rrp sport model?

If no AD history, just go get from grey..

Just curious, have you or any other member here speak with their ADs directly about the "Spend History" or "Bundling" in order to get in the waitlist for the watch you want?

I purchase from grey and that's only because the ADs never have the models I want, and never gave me a guarantee that if I were to spend xxx amount of money or say bundle with xxx models, then I will guarantee to have the piece I want in an estimated time frame.

I spoke with a SA at Pavillion before and I was being very upfront about it and asked him "Do you accept bundling? I am willing to buy certain less desirable pieces as a gift to my parents/gf in order to get on the list for xxx reference." The guy straight up just said no they do not condone this type of practice. So that really leaves me no choice but to go grey re... maybe I looked like a flipper? I was being very sincere...

If an AD tells me "Look, if you are willing to buy xxx + xxx then we will make sure you get the reference you want in xxx months" then I wouldn't have gone grey at all.

I guess the way you bring the question up in such a manner makes them think that you are probably just one of those customers send in by grey dealers to make bundle deals for a highly desirable piece and that's why they will tell you upfront that they don't condone such practice.

The grey dealers have their network of "customers" that walks into the shop and build their purchase history with them by just pretending to buy up some other branded watches with the intention to pop a question on a desirable Rolex piece sometime later and hoping to get them to be approved by the AD manager.

Have you ever wonder why there are so many brand new / unworn other branded watches offered at a good discount by grey dealers? The discount is even better than what AD can offer and some of them will openly tell you if you want this piece deposit with them and they will so call pre-order it, their pre-order is basically sending a "customer" to walk into AD and get this piece building profile, because if they manage to hit a Rolex piece, the profit easily cover whatever the loss they made from selling other branded watches to another customer at loss.

And I would definitely think some AD might have insiders who work with grey dealers to help them to swallow up some unwanted stocks and hence explains why each time a Rolex shipment arrives, the grey dealers are the first ones who happily blasting out all these brand new stocks with ridiculous pricing.

Just a tip, if you willing to spend on other pieces just spend on the other pieces first with the AD, don’t ask them to guarantee you with black and white on your rolex purchase because that will never work, the sales person has no authority to guarantee you any piece unless you are speaking to the one who is approving who the watch will sell to.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 11:53:06 PM by Petai300 »

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #235 on: April 15, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
I guess the way you bring the question up in such a manner makes them think that you are probably just one of those customers send in by grey dealers to make bundle deals for a highly desirable piece and that's why they will tell you upfront that they don't condone such practice.

The grey dealers have their network of "customers" that walks into the shop and build their purchase history with them by just pretending to buy up some other branded watches with the intention to pop a question on a desirable Rolex piece sometime later and hoping to get them to be approved by the AD manager.

Have you ever wonder why there are so many brand new / unworn other branded watches offered at a good discount by grey dealers? The discount is even better than what AD can offer and some of them will openly tell you if you want this piece deposit with them and they will so call pre-order it, their pre-order is basically sending a "customer" to walk into AD and get this piece building profile, because if they manage to hit a Rolex piece, the profit easily cover whatever the loss they made from selling other branded watches to another customer at loss.

And I would definitely think some AD might have insiders who work with grey dealers to help them to swallow up some unwanted stocks and hence explains why each time a Rolex shipment arrives, the grey dealers are the first ones who happily blasting out all these brand new stocks with ridiculous pricing.

Just a tip, if you willing to spend on other pieces just spend on the other pieces first with the AD, don’t ask them to guarantee you with black and white on your rolex purchase because that will never work, the sales person has no authority to guarantee you any piece unless you are speaking to the one who is approving who the watch will sell to.

I agree and I think you pinned it down perfectly, especially on the grey dealer's network/runner aspect of it.

This all happened quite some time ago when I was trying to figure out just how I could get on the list. I've visited pretty much every single AD in the KL area, I think there're about 6-7 of them. In the same vicinity, there are at least 15-20 grey dealers with actual storefronts.

I eventually figured that I simply could not compete with:

1. the VIP whale spenders
2. the runners from the grey dealers

And since the pieces I wanted were all popular SS professional models, I just bit the bullet and went grey. Right now I'm happy and content with the pieces I have. I did gain a better perspective after all those visits to the ADs and grey dealers as well as experiences and posts shared on this thread though, much appreciated from the advice.

Offline swleong

« Reply #236 on: April 15, 2021, 09:20:36 AM »
man, I am totally going to give up on ROLEX after seeing the grey price of new Oyster Perpetual 41 going for almost RM63k........

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #237 on: April 15, 2021, 09:46:42 AM »
For Rolex, it’s all buying hype now, not watch..

Luckily I got all I needed...

Offline Poppyplants

« Reply #238 on: April 15, 2021, 04:46:06 PM »
Like any bubble, it will pop. It is just a matter of time. And it is especially when you see prices go parabolic like 2021.

Money and affordability is subjective. Therefore building a profile with AD to buy a Rolex sounds ridiculous to me because I can not afford to build a 150k to 200k profile on watches. I can fork out an amount like maybe RM40k for a watch that I really want. And I don't want to say the Rolex model I desire because I'll obviously just get laughed at from here to Switzerland and back.

This has definitely created a toxic culture and perception of people who wear highly desirable Rolex models. It used to be people asking "real ah?". Now it is "retail ah?", "from AD?", "paid premium to SA?", "built profile?", "Grey dealer?".

So here is me hoping that those making a living as a grey dealer just suffer in the next few years from overstocking and being over-ambitious with this current stupid bull Rolex market. Because they really are stealing the joy from plenty of people who just want a Rolex at retail price on their wrist.

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #239 on: April 15, 2021, 05:24:27 PM »
Whether the price will shoot up or stagnant it will solely depends on HK and PRC market...

Most PRC AD can’t promised any sport model even if you spend hundred thousands there...their waiting lists like thousands above..

Offline dpkong

« Reply #240 on: April 15, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »

This is the best written explanation... to the SA, anyone walking in asking about popular SS models will simply be labelled as "potential grey/flipper" and given textbook answers.

Seems like the grey dealers have already tried all the tricks you can imagine to get the hot models... SA are probably only assigned to sell other brands and ROLEX probably controlled by store manager.

Best advice indeed. Another way is to get someone who already has a good relationship to get you an introduction. Talk about watches, show them your collection, tell them what you would like to add and see what shows up first.

Offline W3ll

« Reply #241 on: April 16, 2021, 11:59:44 AM »
I agree and I think you pinned it down perfectly, especially on the grey dealer's network/runner aspect of it.

This all happened quite some time ago when I was trying to figure out just how I could get on the list. I've visited pretty much every single AD in the KL area, I think there're about 6-7 of them. In the same vicinity, there are at least 15-20 grey dealers with actual storefronts.

I eventually figured that I simply could not compete with:

1. the VIP whale spenders
2. the runners from the grey dealers

And since the pieces I wanted were all popular SS professional models, I just bit the bullet and went grey. Right now I'm happy and content with the pieces I have. I did gain a better perspective after all those visits to the ADs and grey dealers as well as experiences and posts shared on this thread though, much appreciated from the advice.

I guess if Rolex is the only piece you want and no other options, that's the fastest route you can take. Sometimes i find it easier to just forego the desire of wanting a Rolex and forget about competing with any spenders in the AD, ask the AD to introduce some other brands to you, try it on, appreciate the watch history/movement and how it wears on your hands, who knows right you might end up paying for a non-Rolex piece and that's also a good way to start your journey with the AD.

The majority of the people getting into Rolex is really just because of FOMO, and that's what fueling the grey dealers lucrative business. The grey dealers will always tell you if you pay rm165k for a daytona it will never lose value it will keep going up and if you wait somemore you won't buy it at his price the next time. And just 1 page back I read someone claim that he has a friend who bought like 7 - 8 pieces of the Starbucks rolex? Come on.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 12:02:41 PM by Petai300 »

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #242 on: April 17, 2021, 02:42:25 PM »
Almost every weekends, u can see plenty reseller mushrooming with ‘openings’ at certain Wisma...

Pity those who just started their quest for Rolex...

Offline alan2222

« Reply #243 on: April 17, 2021, 04:49:45 PM »
With the re-introduction of Batman in Oyster, do u think the grey 116510 blnr will drop in prices now?

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #244 on: April 17, 2021, 06:38:16 PM »
With the re-introduction of Batman in Oyster, do u think the grey 116510 blnr will drop in prices now?

Dont think will decrease, but new batman will sell more expensive

Offline dpkong

« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2021, 09:28:06 PM »

I guess if Rolex is the only piece you want and no other options, that's the fastest route you can take. Sometimes i find it easier to just forego the desire of wanting a Rolex and forget about competing with any spenders in the AD, ask the AD to introduce some other brands to you, try it on, appreciate the watch history/movement and how it wears on your hands, who knows right you might end up paying for a non-Rolex piece and that's also a good way to start your journey with the AD.

The majority of the people getting into Rolex is really just because of FOMO, and that's what fueling the grey dealers lucrative business. The grey dealers will always tell you if you pay rm165k for a daytona it will never lose value it will keep going up and if you wait somemore you won't buy it at his price the next time. And just 1 page back I read someone claim that he has a friend who bought like 7 - 8 pieces of the Starbucks rolex? Come on.

People buying multiple pieces of starbucks at grey market prices are just shifting investments from one form to another. So far, the record is not going down so people feel it is safe haven like gold. Spoils the fun for watch addicts but it is what it is.

Plenty of other brands to look at JLC, Zenith and Omega come to mind and those who can't get Rolex at retail should consider those instead.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #246 on: April 17, 2021, 09:29:47 PM »

Who cares if you get it at retail?  Only "investors" worry

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #247 on: April 19, 2021, 12:32:04 PM »

Yes, ever since I bought my first Rolex in 2012 there was no turning back. It was my first luxury watch and I knew very little in terms of horology (still very little today). I just knew that the Datejust II looked very classic, iconic and timeless. After owning it, I appreciated its toughness, reliability and ease of use (due to my work I engage in lots of physical activity for which an SS Rolex is the ideal watch for all occasions). Also another aspect was that I thought it would hold its value pretty well. In short, I just fell in love with the brand in all aspects.

Sure enough, once I was in a good financial position, I started branching out to its other lines - Daytona, Submariners, GMTs, etc, I've just never branched out to other brands because I was thoroughly impressed with every single piece of Rolex I've acquired.

Thinking back, life is full of wonders. Had I started earlier with this expensive hobby with the ADs, I probably would not have invested my money elsewhere and instead put all that hard earned money to build a relationship for watches. I got into Rolex rather late, and as a result I had my priorities taken care of first, and am able to buy the pieces I want today with returns from my investments years ago.

Anyways, I definitely agree with what you've said. Although I've already dug in and went grey, at the end of the day I'm just happy and feel fortunate for what I have. Still though, I would love to have the AD experience in the future, so will definitely consider other options.

Offline RyanLiang

• Freshie
« Reply #248 on: April 19, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »

Yes, ever since I bought my first Rolex in 2012 there was no turning back. It was my first luxury watch and I knew very little in terms of horology (still very little today). I just knew that the Datejust II looked very classic, iconic and timeless. After owning it, I appreciated its toughness, reliability and ease of use (due to my work I engage in lots of physical activity for which an SS Rolex is the ideal watch for all occasions). Also another aspect was that I thought it would hold its value pretty well. In short, I just fell in love with the brand in all aspects.

Sure enough, once I was in a good financial position, I started branching out to its other lines - Daytona, Submariners, GMTs, etc, I've just never branched out to other brands because I was thoroughly impressed with every single piece of Rolex I've acquired.

Thinking back, life is full of wonders. Had I started earlier with this expensive hobby with the ADs, I probably would not have invested my money elsewhere and instead put all that hard earned money to build a relationship for watches. I got into Rolex rather late, and as a result I had my priorities taken care of first, and am able to buy the pieces I want today with returns from my investments years ago.

Anyways, I definitely agree with what you've said. Although I've already dug in and went grey, at the end of the day I'm just happy and feel fortunate for what I have. Still though, I would love to have the AD experience in the future, so will definitely consider other options.
Totally agreed with you. Got my first hulk 8 mounts ago... after that,  there's no turning back. Now I brought 10 rolexes for the past 8 months. Trade few pcs to my friends. Still holding on 7 pcs. And I never look to place my money in FD.
All my watches brought from grey market.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk

Offline WestFly

• Freshie
« Reply #249 on: April 20, 2021, 05:10:16 AM »
Quote from: Petai300 link=topic=21625.msg192508#msg192508
 date=1618552784

You must have great series collections Rolex, please share photos haha

Totally agreed with you. Got my first hulk 8 mounts ago... after that,  there's no turning back. Now I brought 10 rolexes for the past 8 months. Trade few pcs to my friends. Still holding on 7 pcs. And I never look to place my money in FD.
All my watches brought from grey market.

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk