Author Topic: Watch Buckle / Clasp for Leather Strap  (Read 2217 times)

Offline hong999

• Freshie
Watch Buckle / Clasp for Leather Strap
« on: September 24, 2022, 01:37:00 PM »
What is your favorite watch buckle / clasp?

Will the watch buckle / clasp affect your purchase decision?

With all the e-commerce channel, we can always purchase any watch buckle / clasp online if we don’t like the original buckle / clasp.

I would like to share my opinion on different watch buckle / clasp from my experience:

a) Pin buckle - The most common buckle for the watches, needs to insert the pin every time to wear the watch, but also can easily wear down the leather strap at the pin hole section. Normally I will purchase a clasp to replace pin buckle whenever is possible to increase the lifespan of my strap.

b) Butterfly clasp – Very convenience clasp and save my time to penetrate the leather pin hole, but need to tuck the extra portion of the strap into the loops. Besides, butterfly clasp required you to have correct strap length, otherwise, you will feel uncomfortable because it not positions at the center of your wrist.

c) Single-fold deployant clasp (out-fold) – It shares the characteristic of butterfly clasp and harder to position at the center of your wrist compare to butterfly clasp. Extra portion of the strap required to tuck into the loops.

d) Single-fold deployant clasp (in-fold) – Same function as above, but the extra portion of the strap is tucked inward.

Personally, I like in-fold deployant clasp because it saves my trouble to look for the pin hole and tuck the extra portion of the strap into loops (no bending or teardown anymore). Hence, it also improves the lifespan of my leather strap.

What is your favorite watch buckle / clasp?

Offline pleasuresaurus

Re: Watch Buckle / Clasp for Leather Strap
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 03:20:31 PM »
Definitely a big fan of the Omega-style single fold clasp, easily the best in the business imho. As u say, it "folds in", which means the metal portion of the clasp doesn't press down directly onto the radial bone. Hence it wears far more comfortably as a result. Ordered some of these on Shopee, works ok but feels a wee bit flimsy and the mechanism can be a bit fiddly at times. Definitely nowhere as good as the original. What I AM curious of are the ones Artem straps sell - quite pricey but looks mustard.

With my other "out folding" clasps, I actually end up having to wear them the other way around to avoid this pressing down on the bone.

Offline hong999

• Freshie
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 03:29:42 PM »
Definitely a big fan of the Omega-style single fold clasp, easily the best in the business imho. As u say, it "folds in", which means the metal portion of the clasp doesn't press down directly onto the radial bone. Hence it wears far more comfortably as a result. Ordered some of these on Shopee, works ok but feels a wee bit flimsy and the mechanism can be a bit fiddly at times. Definitely nowhere as good as the original. What I AM curious of are the ones Artem straps sell - quite pricey but looks mustard.

With my other "out folding" clasps, I actually end up having to wear them the other way around to avoid this pressing down on the bone.

Convenience is the best. I also ordered an in-fold deployant clasp to pare my new leather strap and waiting for the delivery now.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 08:48:53 PM »

I don't like pin buckles because of acrobatics required to keep the watch head in place while threading the strap through the buckle and the chance of dropping the watch if not careful, especially heavy watches like the new AP ROO (which I don't own though) as well as the fiddling to get the remaining strap through the loops after the buckle.

I have a Zenith A384 with pin buckle which I dislike so I bought a butterfly clasp with leather strap from Nomad Watch for cheap and found it so much better to use. Still a bit of fiddling to get the strap through the loop but much less risk of dropping the watch while putting it on.

The Omega grey side has a single in-fold deployant which is also easy to use. But I find the leather strap sitting inside to be a moisture trap.. either from sweat or handwashing. The clasp also has a horrible design to keep the strap in place and the side edge of the leather gets "cut" by the clasp.. not a strap you want to adjust too often.

The older AP ROO had the single out-fold deployant which is very easy to use and also very easy to put the strap end through the loops as you engage the clasp. With the right length strap, the clasp sits fairly centre and not too much left after the loop. I like this one best.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 05:52:32 PM »
Out-fold clasp for me.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline hong999

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2022, 09:51:34 AM »

The Omega grey side has a single in-fold deployant which is also easy to use. But I find the leather strap sitting inside to be a moisture trap.. either from sweat or handwashing. The clasp also has a horrible design to keep the strap in place and the side edge of the leather gets "cut" by the clasp.. not a strap you want to adjust too often.......

You are right, therefore I leave some room on my strap not being too tight, so my skin can breath and also release the sweat in my wrist. However, i agree with you that spill water really a headache ....

Offline jf98

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2022, 09:21:59 PM »
For me personally it kinda depends on the type of watch. No one size fits all.

Deployant clasp is my favourite for more sporty pieces. I hate to say it, but the best deployant I've had was on a Hublot. Preferred it over Omega deployant personally.

Pin buckle for dressy pieces, especially with the Cartier ardillon buckle design. Love it.

Offline bc40

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 08:38:00 AM »
I believe in mixing it up a little. i wouldnt buy one type of buckle for all my watches. variety is important