Author Topic: WTA: Vintage Rolex Precision Restoration Project  (Read 4829 times)

Offline pwc_wannabe

WTA: Vintage Rolex Precision Restoration Project
« on: June 24, 2023, 01:10:41 AM »
Hello everyone,

Just found this Rolex Precision 6694 from my late great grandfather in his cabinet. Probably hasn't been worn for the past 15 years. Was thinking of fully restoring this watch to be worn by myself and hopefully to pass it down later on.

Condition: Not working and has a cracked glass. Tried wounding but it ain't working.
Dial type: Black face with gold markers. Thinking of changing it to the silver face if it permits.

My first thought was to send it to Menara Dion Rolex, any idea how much should I set aside to budget this project?

There's a story behind the watch from him, I would really want to restore it to hold some of my stories too.

Offline samuelk

Re: WTA: Vintage Rolex Precision Restoration Project
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 07:12:24 PM »
Bring it in to RSC and let them have a look. They will give you a quote, you can decide then. Better to go with the RSC route.
Great find btw.  :thumbsup:

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2023, 07:51:53 PM »
Thanks  :thumbsup:  I'll head to RSC in a couple of weeks and explore it.

Any idea on their charges to examine and generate the quote?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2023, 02:26:36 PM »
Obviously Menara Dion is your best place to ask about the watch but unsure if they will work on it if it's very old. But you can be certain they will not work on it if it's fake and they might not even return it.

My last experience having a watch serviced there was about RM2,200 for a normal service which includes a new crown and crown tube plus polishing. If you need replacement parts, the prices may go up. After the inspection which usually takes less than 30 minues, I believe they will charge RM250 if you decide not to proceed with repairs and the watch will be returned as-is.

I do not know of any reliable places to service vintage Rolex properly in the west side.

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2023, 02:50:54 PM »
Thanks for the input on prices, the price is acceptable; definitely mine requires a few more parts   :Startled:

The watch seems to be from 1970. I heard from relatives that he was wearing that around that time before passing away in the early 80s. It was then worn by my grandfather before his passed away in the late 00s.

From a layman eyes of mine it doesn't seem fake, I hope it isn't  :)

Attaching a photo.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2023, 09:08:00 PM »
Thanks for the input on prices, the price is acceptable; definitely mine requires a few more parts   :Startled:

The watch seems to be from 1970. I heard from relatives that he was wearing that around that time before passing away in the early 80s. It was then worn by my grandfather before his passed away in the late 00s.

From a layman eyes of mine it doesn't seem fake, I hope it isn't  :)

Attaching a photo.

normally I won't download unknown PDF...

watch looks really old.. I'm curious to know what the costs would be like at Menara Dion RSC

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2023, 10:07:34 PM »
Older than myself for sure :D

Pretty new at the forum, i'll find a way to attach the images in the proper form next time.

I'll let you know the cost once I get it. Will probably go to RSC end of July or August.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2023, 06:40:46 AM »
At a glance, it does look to be an authentic 6694

The band looks to be in very bad condition and I would probably put it on a leather strap and keep the bracelet instead. Rolex would likely just replace the band at a very costly price.

You can try to Google for band restoration from a third party. Or put in on an aftermarket bracelet.

Maybe just ask to have the watch head serviced and restored minus the bracelet could reduce the costs. I think the movement in the 6694 being handwound only would be very simple to service.

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2023, 10:17:40 PM »
That is sound advice, reducing the cost would be the ideal choice.

I'll try and ask RSC for two quotes, one to service the head & one as a complete repair package.

I am also considering asking for a quote from an outside service centre near my place called wing wah. link produced "https://wingwahwatch.com". They are willing to quote FOC.

Just that upon my research, Rolex doesn't sell parts to third party. So I'm not sure how they get the original parts and what is the practice amongst these third party watchmakers.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2023, 12:58:49 PM »
That is sound advice, reducing the cost would be the ideal choice.

I'll try and ask RSC for two quotes, one to service the head & one as a complete repair package.

I am also considering asking for a quote from an outside service centre near my place called wing wah. link produced "https://wingwahwatch.com". They are willing to quote FOC.

Just that upon my research, Rolex doesn't sell parts to third party. So I'm not sure how they get the original parts and what is the practice amongst these third party watchmakers.

A new Rolex bracelet from RSC would obviously be ideal but don't be surprised if it's close to RM10k for that., the current one looks too bad to be "refinished"

Wing Wah it seems has been around for quite awhile but have never used their service so wouldn't be fair to comment. A quote is harmless and would be a great opportunity to speak with a watchmaker directly, unlike at the RSC is that you only get to speak with the front office and won't have a chance to speak with the person who actually fixes the watch.

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2023, 04:39:37 PM »
I take note of that, I'll keep an update on this project in the coming months.

Hopefully it falls into my budget of RM8k. Any savings would be channelled into the Omega restoration that I also found :)

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2023, 08:41:38 PM »
don't have experience with them but DeKairos seems to capture my attention for quite a while now. Perhaps can talk to them also and share your feedback? ;)

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2023, 08:29:15 AM »
Hi HarleMec,

Dekairos's website is rather impressive. I would give them a visit after obtaining the quote from RSC.

Maybe I could consider the band restoration with Dekairos if RSC advice to change the band; just as what dpkong mentioned.

Definitely my main option would be RSC.

Thank you on the lead, definitely an eyeopener.

Offline HarleMec

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2023, 11:28:37 AM »
Hi HarleMec,

Dekairos's website is rather impressive. I would give them a visit after obtaining the quote from RSC.

Maybe I could consider the band restoration with Dekairos if RSC advice to change the band; just as what dpkong mentioned.

looking forward to ur update...big fan of restoration project :p

Offline squasub

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2023, 12:17:56 PM »
Any updates on this?

Hi HarleMec,

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2023, 09:16:10 AM »
Hi,

I managed to speak with RSC through the phone, was told that minimum was RM3K for service.

Dekairos: got in touch with the owner Andy. will be dropping by for a quote after Merdeka.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2023, 07:00:17 PM »
Hi,

I managed to speak with RSC through the phone, was told that minimum was RM3K for service.

Dekairos: got in touch with the owner Andy. will be dropping by for a quote after Merdeka.

Has service prices at RSC gone up that much? It used to be around the RM2200-2300 mark. Or is it because the watch is old?

What does the RM3k cover?

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2023, 11:01:01 AM »
I'm not sure what it covers, the receptionist said the minimum was RM3K excluding parts and should expect the price to be higher for older watches.

The only way to know for sure is to send it in for a proper quote, which would cost RM240.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2023, 07:14:20 PM »
I'm not sure what it covers, the receptionist said the minimum was RM3K excluding parts and should expect the price to be higher for older watches.

The only way to know for sure is to send it in for a proper quote, which would cost RM240.

It sure sounds like costs have gone up then. And I believe they charge you the RM240 if you choose not to proceed with the service after they've inspected the watch and provided a quote.

IIRC, a standard service includes a crown and crown tube change, a complete service of the watch movement and a light polish. Any other parts that need to be replaced is chargeable.

Is your 6694 on a strap or oyster bracelet?

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2023, 07:48:52 PM »
correct on the RM240, they will charge if we don't proceed with the service.

It's on the oyster bracelet.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2023, 12:51:42 PM »
correct on the RM240, they will charge if we don't proceed with the service.

It's on the oyster bracelet.

Will be very curious on the outcome.

While I've not tried many 3rd party Rolex servicing shops, I found the one that I did use didn't do as good a job as the RSC does for the movement. They were cheaper but I found they don't include a light polish. That costs extra and when you do add it in, the costs get nearer to what RSC charges. I'd rather not mention the place.

Any pictures of the current state? A cracked crystal definitely needs a change. But you could save if the dial is still OK. I suspect the hands would need a change as well.

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 01:25:15 PM »
I just called RSC again, can confirm that the floor is RM3K now.

Crystal and hands definitely needs to be replace. I too am curious what needs to be changed especially internally 🤣.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2023, 02:22:19 PM »
I just called RSC again, can confirm that the floor is RM3K now.

Crystal and hands definitely needs to be replace. I too am curious what needs to be changed especially internally 🤣.

Whoa on the RM3k base charge..

I think the 6694 were acrylic crystals so it could be cheaper than sapphire. Hands usually white gold so that will cost. If you're lucky, the movement is just seized due to oils drying and a proper service will clear it all up without a need for more parts.

if you think about it, the 6694 used to sell around RM5k and then shot up to about RM10k when the hype pushed all prices up. It's coming down now but not yet near the old prices. Makes you wonder if the repair costs will be worth it if there is too much changed on it.

Offline pwc_wannabe

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2023, 02:34:37 PM »
if i'm lucky haha...

Makes myself wonder too..

Offline jf98

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2023, 09:27:29 AM »
A bit late to your thread, but I would highly recommend taking it to an independent repair shop instead of RSC. Last I heard, they're not willing to service 6694 anymore and will charge exorbitant prices even if they do because they will just replace most of  the parts like dial, hands etc. You won't get back any of the parts that they replace for you either. Since this is such a sentimental piece, I think it's better to go independent. I saw you mentioned the watch is in non working condition currently, so it might be hard to get an exact quote on how much it will cost to fix it. You can try out Time&Motions in Publika.