Author Topic: Russian Vintage Watch - General Information  (Read 38892 times)

Offline 1to12

• Carpe Diem !!
Re: Russian Vintage Watch - General Information
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »
I still like Russian brand watches... feels like they're the underdogs but some are very nice for their price points. Was looking for vintage Strella or Poljot Alarm... will take my time. Currently have a couple of Poljot International, Basilika and Alexander Shorokoff.

Looking forward to your pics, KW.  :Cheers:
"...But if you listen real close, you can hear them whisper their legacy to you. Go on, lean in. Listen, you hear it? - - Carpe - - hear it? - - Carpe, carpe diem, seize the day boys, make your lives extraordinary." - John Keating, Dead Poets Society

Offline g0ldeneye

Re: Russian Vintage Watch - General Information
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2013, 05:18:00 PM »
Hi, Just wanted to share a watch I just acquired, so far have not been able to find another like it.
It's in good condition, probably a "frankenwatch" (new & old parts)

The Molnija 3602 movement (on left) are apparently derived from the Cortebert movement (on right) used by Rolex in the 1930's and 40's.

The Molnija clock and watch factory was opened on November 17, 1947. The company's main customer was then the Soviet Union Department of Defense, providing them with wrist watches, pocket watches and table clocks. Unique clocks were also produced specifically for use in Soviet tanks, fighter aircraft, submarines and, eventually, spacecraft.

Molnija's main product is mechanical pocket watches with military, religious and historical motifs. About 80% of the work on most of the watches is done by hand. Some Molnija movements are used in oversized men's wristwatches.

The company ceased production in October 2007, but there are rumours that they are to restart production.