Author Topic: Meeting with Peter Speake-Marin  (Read 7396 times)

Offline danny

• Administrator
Meeting with Peter Speake-Marin
« on: December 15, 2010, 06:31:38 AM »
On Monday, 13th December, Abel and I had the good fortune to meet with renowned independent watch maker, Peter Speake-Marin. (Thanks to Abel for arrangement) The meeting took place at Khronos Unique Horlogerie Boutique (Adorn Floor, Starhill Gallery). Khronos is representing the Speake-Marin brand in Malaysia.

Despite his extremely tight schedule (He was due to fly off later that evening) Peter was really kind to share his passion for watchmaking and insights into the watchmaking industry. He also took the time to walk us through some of the very unique and exclusive timepieces that he had brought for the Journey Through Time event.

We also learnt that one of his latest creations, the Marine 2 "Thalassa" received the YTL Spirit of Classical Art Award during the event finale. A big congratulations to Peter Speake-Marin.  :thumbsup:

Below are some quick and dirty pics taken during the meeting. I'm afraid the pictures really don't do justice to the Speake-Marin timepieces, each of which are truly unique pieces of art.

Left to Right: Abel, Peter Speake-Marin and Danny (Thanks to Mr. Yin, Retail Manager of Khronos boutique for snapping this picture for us)

Variation of the Marin 1 with laser cutout of the dial.

Maki-e Panda dial by Japanese master, Musyu Yamazaki. Part of Peter Speake-Marin Art Series Collection

A trio of timepieces from the Original Picadilly collection. The one in the centre has a Jade centerpiece on the dial.

2 Picadilly Serpent Calendar models in precious metal.

Marin-2 "Thalassa" recipient of the YTL Spirit of Classical Art Award

Display back of the Marin 2 Thalassa showing the exquisitely finished SM2m manual winding calibre.

Display back of the Marin 1 showing the signature rotor of the automatic version of the SM2 calibre.

Below are some online resources to learn more about Peter Speake-Marin, the man and his craft.

i) Speake-Marin on Facebook
ii) The Purists Interview of Peter Speake-Marin
iii) The Purists article on Peter Speake-Marin
iv) A Timezone Interview of Peter Speake-Marin

Offline takashi78

Re: Meeting with Peter Speake-Marin
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 06:49:23 AM »
Truly amazing Danny!

Too bad the timing was not right i need to work.
Missed this opportunity 2 years in a row now!

I think next year since Abel is the official liason for PSM and MWF we should pen down a date where we can have a forum gathering with him.
Come prepared with questions as well.

So Danny, most important question is....you know....did you buy one PSM piece that day? Or going to?

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 07:04:45 AM »
Truly amazing Danny!

Too bad the timing was not right i need to work.
Missed this opportunity 2 years in a row now!

I think next year since Abel is the official liason for PSM and MWF we should pen down a date where we can have a forum gathering with him.
Come prepared with questions as well.

So Danny, most important question is....you know....did you buy one PSM piece that day? Or going to?

The Speake-Marin timepieces are truly amazing and one day I would really love to be a proud owner of a Speake-Marin watch.

:Cheers:

Offline mrYong

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 07:10:49 AM »
OMG.... what's an opportunity !!!!

Danny , curious what are you wearing to meet such master watchmaker ?

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 07:20:31 AM »
Like the Original Picadilly collection ;)

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 08:36:28 AM »
Thumbs up to both Danny and Abel to be able to meet up with the framed watchmaker himself

:thumbsup::Cheers:

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline danny

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:03:05 PM »
OMG.... what's an opportunity !!!!

Danny , curious what are you wearing to meet such master watchmaker ?

Nothing special. Just the humble Calibre de Cartier watch.

:Cheers:

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 12:13:55 PM »
i wish i can join u all... unfortunately i'm rushing for a meeting in beijing

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 01:05:27 PM »
how d i wished more ppl will come join us  :mooning:

He is busy all the time, planned to meet him in Oct as he is in town for business but his schduele is too busy.

i really respect him because he is multi-tasking as in promoting, designing new caliber/watch & managing the company by himself most of time.

His watches may be costly but sseriously, it looked DAMN good & nice in real life. All the A-Z of the movement is all designed by him.

PSM really friendly and nice person to talk too...  :thumbsup:

Too bad cant bring him for dinner as he is busy catching up to go to airport.

Looking forward to see him again next year

** damn i looked blur in the photo...

*** Danny, isnt this suppose to be in the "GTG,Meetup" subforum?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 02:09:51 PM by gigiplastic »

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 01:36:38 PM »
wah....jealous wei...

anyhow i was at the same boutique a few weeks back ....and i was there i think for about almost 2 hours talking to that sales guy...not only they sell, they also very passionate about world of horology which i find it as amazing...not many sales person know in depth knowledge like them....i mean i am this idiot who like to waste time talking about this and that watches and that guys seem far more enthusiastic to talk about it than me....awesome ....

heheheh

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »
wah....jealous wei...

anyhow i was at the same boutique a few weeks back ....and i was there i think for about almost 2 hours talking to that sales guy...not only they sell, they also very passionate about world of horology which i find it as amazing...not many sales person know in depth knowledge like them....i mean i am this idiot who like to waste time talking about this and that watches and that guys seem far more enthusiastic to talk about it than me....awesome ....

heheheh

The folks at Khronos is very friendly and willing to spend time talk to ppl who are interested in it.  :thumbsup: Unlike Cxxxxxna starhill & a shop in pavilion who does not give a damn on it.... other than makan gaji

Offline maximillian

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 04:21:50 PM »
Insert Quote
wah....jealous wei...

heheheh

buying a watch there?very kaya la you haha anyway sales personnel at  axxer houxx in penang are quite good too..i kinda let them talk about the Union Glashutte models that they have..all i can say is the personnel knows a lot!
musdus vult decipi ergo decipiatur.veritatem dies aperit.

Offline wslee

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 07:27:55 PM »
Hi all Sifu,

Just wondering since you were talking about the luxury watch shop...which one that i can visit yet they r friendly to explain to you even though you are not buying...I went to S****re and S**ss Ga***ry in pavillion.None of the sales ppl even want to bother about me

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 05:59:44 AM »
Obviously not buying, and apparently the sales person also know i am not there to buy, neither being close to be able to afford the cheapest offering, but they seem to enjoy our visit the way we enjoying ourselves, and maybe they also know, God will, one of us struck a jack pot someday, we would definitely come back to them ...plus we also talk about our community (the bloggers) and perhaps they see it as good opportunity to get us start talking about the brand... :) owh, all above, is just me assuming things....hehhehe

Insert Quote
wah....jealous wei...

heheheh

buying a watch there?very kaya la you haha anyway sales personnel at  axxer houxx in penang are quite good too..i kinda let them talk about the Union Glashutte models that they have..all i can say is the personnel knows a lot!