Author Topic: Tourbillon??! what about a home made tourbillon?  (Read 3261 times)

Offline silverstan

Tourbillon??! what about a home made tourbillon?
« on: December 03, 2010, 07:54:56 AM »
Found this interesting topic in other forum.

For those who can read chinese, please click here.

Father of thread starter is a sifu on repair clock & watch for more than 30 years, he is using an old seiko clock (30 days PW) to modify. Yellowish parts (copper?) was purely custom made.

At the same years he done, Piaget announced their polo tourbillon.

;D

Offline sshark

Re: Tourbillon??! what about a home made tourbillon?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 08:02:43 AM »
This is wat i call great passion.

1 thing I dun understand, ain't tourbillion is created to compensate different watch angle positions and not for stationary desk clock. May be it was explained in this article but I dun read chinese. my apologize.

Thanks.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 08:35:55 AM »
This is wat i call great passion.

1 thing I dun understand, ain't tourbillion is created to compensate different watch angle positions and not for stationary desk clock. May be it was explained in this article but I dun read chinese. my apologize.

Thanks.

Actually the tourbillon was created to counter the effects of gravity on a pocket watch or clock as it is kept in one position all the time. The effect of gravity is more pronounce on the escapement. This leads to inaccuracies. In pocket watches, the watch is usually kept in the man's vest pocket, only time it moves is when it is taken out to be read. Tourbillons counteract gravity by rotating the balance wheel of a watch or clock through 360 degrees.

So here lies the question, why a tourbillon in a modern wristwatch that moves all the time.

Offline silverstan

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 08:49:15 AM »
now most of the tourbillon is decorative and for price jack.
 :HammerHead:

Offline sshark

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 10:58:34 AM »
Thanks

Tourbillion sure looks like a piece of engineering marvel. Whether it really works marvel is another story :)