Author Topic: Which 1000m dive watch does not require a screw down crown/crown locking device?  (Read 6364 times)

Offline danny

• Administrator
Recently I came across a 1000m dive watch which does not require a screw down crown / crown locking device.
I'm aware that the majority of the dive watches in the market require a screw down crown (eg Rolex Seadweller) or a crown locking device (Panerai/JLC Master Compressor), so I do find this non-screw down feature to be quite fascinating.

I'm wondering which other brands in the market offer such a feature. Anyone care to share?

:Cheers:

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Ennebi Fondale
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline danny

• Administrator
Ennebi Fondale

That's one. Thanks Terrence.
Are there any other brands out there with this feature other than the Ennebi Fondale?

Offline takashi78

What was the reasoning that it did not need one?

Or better yet, what technology or design does it employ so that it can do without a screw down crown?

Offline danny

• Administrator
What was the reasoning that it did not need one?

Or better yet, what technology or design does it employ so that it can do without a screw down crown?

The Ennebi Fondale is a direct descendant of Panerai's 1000m diver model created in the 1980's. One of Ennebi's founders, Alessandro Bettarini, was head of Panerai's technical design department at that time and was directly involved in the development of Panerai's 1000m diver.

I can only guess that when Ennebi developed the Fondale based on the original Panerai design they could not include the crown locking device which was trademarked by Panerai, so they left the crown as it is with the crown protectors without the locking device.

As for the specific technology employed to make the watch water resistant to 1000m (without a screw down crown), I'm afraid that technical details are quite lacking even on Ennebi's website.

Which is why I'm curious to know if there are other brands with this feature or is the Ennebi Fondale uinque in the dive watch universe in terms of this feature?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Perhaps they have improved on the Naiad crown featured on the vintage Omega Seamaster 300? These crowns did not screw down but is self sealing. It uses water pressure to provide watertightness. The deeper the watch goes, the greater the pressure. This causes the crown to 'push' or sit against a seal. The only problem is at shallow water, the system does not work as well. The old Seamaster 300 with Naiad crown have been known to flood in shallow water and even when washing your hands.

Aircrafts use a simple system of sealing as well. In areas under (not all aircraft use this system) the galley or toilets, there is a 'ping pong ball' that sits in a drain hole. When the aircraft is on the ground and if water gets into these area, the ball will float, thus draining the water. In flight, the pressure inside the aircraft is higher as compared to the outside of the aircraft. So the ball will sit in the hole and you have no leaks.

Offline danny

• Administrator
Perhaps they have improved on the Naiad crown featured on the vintage Omega Seamaster 300? These crowns did not screw down but is self sealing. It uses water pressure to provide watertightness. The deeper the watch goes, the greater the pressure. This causes the crown to 'push' or sit against a seal. The only problem is at shallow water, the system does not work as well. The old Seamaster 300 with Naiad crown have been known to flood in shallow water and even when washing your hands.

It's plausible. I should email Ennebi to get to the bottom of this. Will post here if I get any reply.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator

Aircrafts use a simple system of sealing as well. In areas under (not all aircraft use this system) the galley or toilets, there is a 'ping pong ball' that sits in a drain hole. When the aircraft is on the ground and if water gets into these area, the ball will float, thus draining the water. In flight, the pressure inside the aircraft is higher as compared to the outside of the aircraft. So the ball will sit in the hole and you have no leaks.

This is a very logical remarks and does make sense.
Good one TheHobbit  :thumbsup:  

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
Mayb they dun think ppl will go more than 100m

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Mayb they dun think ppl will go more than 100m

ahhaha so that mean's they are trying to "klentong" since it's not humanly possible to go to such depth without being in a pressurised sub.

btw.. for 100 euro extra, you can customize your caseback.
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline sshark

Then it comes to why DSSD rated @ 12800m depth? To put on the robotic arms of the submarine?