Author Topic: Received Late Grandfather's Omega Watch, How To Tell If It's Real?  (Read 9285 times)

Offline kinson

Hi Guys,

My dad just gave me my late grandfather's watch. It's stated there as an Omega Constellation, but I'm just curious whether it's a real Omega or not, and I'm unsure how to tell?

Any tips? I've uploaded the pictures here. It wasn't functioning when I saw it, but after turning it around a few times to look at it, it started functioning again, probably cause it's an automatic (stated on face). The time can be adjusted, but the date doesn't seem to work (either that or I don't know how).

Not sure if it's an Omega thing, but to adjust the time I've to turn the known downwards, as opposed to upwards on my normal Seiko. Pulling the knob out two stops makes the "4" date move a little, but I can't seem to adjust it, and all the while the seconds hand is still moving.

Any tips would be greatly welcome :)

Offline kinson

Re: Received Late Grandfather's Omega Watch, How To Tell If It's Real?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2010, 01:05:18 PM »
Additional pictures (had problem attaching it in main message).

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 01:15:20 PM »
First of all, congrats to the watch once belongs to your grandad.

It probably need a service. Bring it to Swatch Group for an overhaul and ascertain its authenticity. 

Offline kinson

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 01:22:38 PM »
Hi ck77,

Thanks for the speedy reply. I guess that's the best way to find out. Found the list of service centers, though they all seem to be in the golden triangle, lol (ouch @ traffic).

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/find-service-center?country=385&city=Kuala%20Lumpur

Will try and drop by next week if I'm free :)

Thanks.

In the meantime, if anybody sees anything suspicious about the watch, feel free to point it out, I'll ask them about it when I go, haha :)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2010, 02:05:44 PM »
Your watch would be reference number 168.0041, produced between 1970 to 1975. It is stainless steel and the bezel should be white gold. The movement would be Omega calibre 751. The 751 is a 24 jewel movement and I believe it does not have the quick date adjustment. Try turning the hour hands 24 hours and see if the day and date changes.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »
Your watch would be reference number 168.0041, produced between 1970 to 1975. It is stainless steel and the bezel should be white gold. The movement would be Omega calibre 751. The 751 is a 24 jewel movement and I believe it does not have the quick date adjustment. Try turning the hour hands 24 hours and see if the day and date changes.

Great knowledge and sources  :thumbsup:

I think the movement can be cal750/751/752, Cal75x is the first Omega Caliber with day-date ;) Swan Neck find regulation, believe it's produced in 1967 ;) If it's cal751, it's adjusted to 5 position too.

What I suggest is to send back to Omega service center (if you want to preserve the original value) and ask them to open it up and check. Maybe you can send back for service too ;)

What a sentimental (money can't buy) time piece you got there ;)

p/s: my info was getting from the Omega book that i have la...

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
1. Check movement cal whether match the case no... The list is available in omega official site, register yourself n u will b able to log into the history page
2. If case n serial match mean it very real
3. If not match then check the case or movement is real, if both real but number not matching then it can b a rojak omega or u r damn lucky, u got a ghost mega, something really rare!!! Lol

better post some photo Here, sure got sifu can help

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 06:37:28 PM »
Some information for you:

Model: Constellation
Reference: ST 168.0041 (or stainless steel with 14K solid yellow gold bezel, ref. DD 168.0041)
International collection: 1970 - 1975
Movement: Automatic chronometer certified, Omega Caliber number: 751, created in 1967, 24 jewels, central sweep-second hand

Functions: hours, minutes, seconds, day and date
Case: stainless steel, tonneau, dimensions: 35.7 x 40.4 mm, 20 mm lug-width
Bezel: solid white gold
Case back: screw-in
Dial: gold hour markers and gold stick hands
Crystal: Armoured hesalite
Water resistance: 3 ATM
Strap: leather or SS bracelet (Ref. 1163/702)

Offline kinson

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 06:40:49 PM »
1. Check movement cal whether match the case no... The list is available in omega official site, register yourself n u will b able to log into the history page
2. If case n serial match mean it very real
3. If not match then check the case or movement is real, if both real but number not matching then it can b a rojak omega or u r damn lucky, u got a ghost mega, something really rare!!! Lol

better post some photo Here, sure got sifu can help

Bro, the strange thing is that I can't see a serial number anywhere... As seen on the picture above, it's just some observatory logo at the back *confused

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2010, 06:52:03 PM »
U need to open the watch case back...

Better let the professional to handle it...

Unless the cAse back is loose

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2010, 06:55:39 PM »
In modern Omega, the serial number is etched on one of the lugs. In your watch, you will need to remove the case back. The serial number should either be on the inside of the case back or on the movement. The serial number should be 8 digit long. Since your watch came out between 1970 to 1975, the serial number "should" fall between 28,000,000 to 39,000,000. Best is to get the serial number and register on the Omega site and check.

To check if your watch is correct or not, just google the model number, 168.0041 and check on the images. There are a number of articles on the net on the watch and the calibre 751. Off hand (I am no expert) the watch looks ok.

Offline Manburg

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2010, 07:59:24 PM »
I am no expert on vintage Omega, but if Hobbit says that it's legit, then the likelihood that it's not is remote I guess. :thumbsup:

But as a good rule of thumb, if you really want to ascertain its authenticity (as even an original watch could be cannibalised or Frankened, especially one that is quite old), bring it to Omega. I'm sure they can lend a helping hand (with or without fees, I'm not so sure!)
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline kinson

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »

I just went over 12 and yes, it did move to the next day. Seems like it's going to be really troublesome to get it into sync with the current date then  :o

Thanks for the info, though! Will be calling the service center tomorrow to see if I can find out more.

Will update :)

Offline kenixck

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2010, 05:28:43 AM »
i doubt they make fakes during that time ...

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2010, 01:11:46 PM »
I am no expert on vintage Omega, but if Hobbit says that it's legit, then the likelihood that it's not is remote I guess. :thumbsup:

But as a good rule of thumb, if you really want to ascertain its authenticity (as even an original watch could be cannibalised or Frankened, especially one that is quite old), bring it to Omega. I'm sure they can lend a helping hand (with or without fees, I'm not so sure!)

Manburg,

Thank you for the compliment. I am still learning.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2010, 03:39:49 PM »
i doubt they make fakes during that time ...

agreed but alot of rojak watch n also after Market parts like crown, stem, pusher, dial, buckle....

Offline kinson

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2010, 08:13:33 AM »
Hi Guys,

A little update on the situation as I took the time to pay the Swatch office a visit today.

The bottom line:
-The watch is original, but the bracelet is not (better this way than the reverse, I guess, lol)
-Needs a holiday to Switzerland and servicing
-Case corroded
-Movement scratched (boo)
-some other stuff on the service report attached

They weren't able to give me an estimate on how much it'd cost to be fixed, since they said need to be sent back to Switzerland to get an estimate. Will probably put this on hold for the moment if that's the situation.

They weren't able to give me a rough valuation of the watch either, but they said I could email them a picture of the watch which they will forward to HQ to get a rough valuation.

Any comments on this?  :-\

Cheers,
Kinson

Offline Manburg

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2010, 08:34:32 AM »
I'm just curious as to what they meant by "presence of foreign bodies in the movement". ???
“Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that.” BILL SHANKLY

Offline kinson

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2010, 08:41:33 AM »
I'm just curious as to what they meant by "presence of foreign bodies in the movement". ???

Yeah, it sounded strange too. I asked the lady there if it meant that there were some non-original parts inside (Franken), but she said the technician said that it's dirt and stuff.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 09:18:05 AM »
Any fees paid for checking at Swatch?

Offline kinson

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 09:23:57 AM »
@ck77: No fees, since they didn't really do anything. Just opened it up, gave it a quick glance (I assume) and gave me the information I shared. They were nice and polite, so I don't have any complaints. The charge to send the watch on holiday is RM100 and they won't charge me that if I agree to the service quotation that HQ presents, but if not, I'll have to pay the RM100 to get the watch back without any repairs. Sounds reasonable.

Cheers.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2010, 09:33:36 AM »
kinson: not bad, thanks for sharing.