Author Topic: New Grand Seiko English website  (Read 7305 times)

Offline KTY

New Grand Seiko English website
« on: October 04, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »
For all you Grand Seiko's fans, there is now an English language website dedicated to this series at www.grand-seiko.com.

Looks like the old mechanical 9s55/56 auto calibers have been completely phased out and replaced by the equivalent 9s6x caliber (latter having a longer power reserve of 72 hours).

Note that the handwind models do not appear in the collection. Don't know if they have been discontinued or available only as JDM.

KT

Offline takashi78

Re: New Grand Seiko English website
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:08 PM »
Wow good find!
Finally Seiko realized the importance of the international market.
Looking at the date the site was just launched today.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:03:30 PM »
Looking at the website i noticed the store in Sunway Pyramid is the only official dealer for GS in Malaysia.

Also, didnt know that all GS is anti magnetic.
Some has display back, can you have anti magnetic with clear display back?

Offline duniajam

• Dunia Jam
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 07:37:52 PM »
Wow... Maybe this will increase their selling & popularity.....  :thumbsup: Let see how they compete with the Swiss watches. :Cheers:

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Sunway piramid shop tend to mark up their price quite high eh  ??? ???

Offline KTY

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 07:55:48 PM »
GS has for been available in Asia (Malaysia included) for a while. They can also be bought in in Paris and Canada. This is the first time they are made available in the US and the rest of Europe.

If the watches continued to be sold at retail with minimum discount, I guess many will still buy from internet dealers and merely use the regional outlets for service purpose.

KT

Offline watchtime

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 08:01:04 PM »
Great website but they are only showing limited models eg under quartz only one model (with 3 dial colour).
I noticed that service network stores in Taiwan,Thai,china etc are labeled as Service reception while
those in Japan are called Service available stores. Does that mean stores outside japan will receive GS watches and send them to Japan for service? even for battery change? Soon a GS quartz will be my next watch.

Offline gapper

• allen's posterous
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 08:07:58 PM »
the Mxments at Sunway Pyramid is actually owned by cxty-chain, GS brought in by Thxng Sia. All servicing will need to send back to Japan.

changing of battery can be done at any reliable watchshop, not neccessary must send back to japan. :)

Offline watchtime

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 08:28:31 PM »
Hi gapper thanks for the info. FYI i found out SBGF017 still readily available in japan. (NOS)
So new or old ? Decisions, decisions.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:45:36 PM »
Its also still listed at the GS Taiwan website.

Offline adrian

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 02:08:38 AM »
For the time being only [No mention of AD name - MOD] is carrying GS but that is set to change soon. Even JDM models are available locally at some Seiko ADs (officially thru Thong Sia with local warranty).  Local warranty but they will still send the watches back to Japan.  I've got a locally available LE (not even JDM) sent to Thong Sia for warranty claim on a crown problem and it's been sent to Japan for repair. 3 months has passed and I'm still waiting.  :thumbsdown:  Now this doesn't mean Thong Sia can't service MM, Landmasters, etc but it's due to Seiko Japan's strict policy.

But you guys are right on the discounts. I'd still buy from Japan direct.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 06:27:48 AM by takashi78 »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 08:08:38 AM »
 :police:
Also, didnt know that all GS is anti magnetic.
Some has display back, can you have anti magnetic with clear display back?

if all movement material without iron/not affected by magnet then the watch is still anti-magnetic
alot of modern watches are anti magnetic actually! So even a pagol auto watch hv the antimagnetic laser print on it's caseback....

But those watches with soft iron inner case is different concept, it stop the magnetic effect at all

Offline sshark

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 01:13:26 PM »
if all movement material without iron/not affected by magnet then the watch is still anti-magnetic
alot of modern watches are anti magnetic actually! So even a pagol auto watch hv the antimagnetic laser print on it's caseback....

But those watches with soft iron inner case is different concept, it stop the magnetic effect at all

This is not true. Soft iron case cannot keep the calibre 100% safe from magnetic wave. It can on reduce magnetic influence up to a level and anything beyond tat your watch will get magnetized. For e.g. Milgauss can withstand up to 80k A/m. If the watch case is titanium, it will help too.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2010, 02:45:13 PM »
Yeap, soft iron or what has it limit. but 80k a/m is good enough for u to work at high tension station!