Author Topic: The Panerai PAM 510 Luminor Marina Watch  (Read 16625 times)

Offline shamtv2555

The Panerai PAM 510 Luminor Marina Watch
« on: August 02, 2013, 02:20:44 PM »

Panerai has just unveiled the PAM 510 Luminor Marina Watch featuring the brand new, in-house P.5000 movement. The watch sports a traditional, 44mm Luminor case in stainless steel with a black dial featuring both numerals and indices as well as a seconds indicator at 9 0?clock. The manually wound, in-house movement boasts an impressive 8-day power reserve and features a no-nonsense design with most of the components hidden out of sight. Priced at $7,300 USD, the watch is a relative bargain considering the in-house movement. The PAM 510 will be reaching Panerai boutiques and official retailers later this year.

how u guys think?

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: The Panerai PAM 510 Luminor Marina Watch
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
Pretty good price for an in-house movement with an 8 day power reserve. Looks like the Unitas of old may be shown the door earlier then later. Anyway, congrats on the 422 and do wear it with good health.

Offline sean

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 02:29:42 PM »
With in-house movement and 8 days power reserve usd7300, definitely is a good price, but I think the movement looks a bit off to me.

Offline shamtv2555

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:33 PM »
Pretty good price for an in-house movement with an 8 day power reserve. Looks like the Unitas of old may be shown the door earlier then later. Anyway, congrats on the 422 and do wear it with good health.

haaha... tq tq u still my pam hero bro hobbit

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 03:02:26 PM »

haaha... tq tq u still my pam hero bro hobbit

Nolah... it should be Tyler.

Offline topo

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 10:51:28 PM »
nice pam with 8day and price is good.

Offline rusminag

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2013, 08:09:45 AM »
No power reserve indicator??
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline davidtth

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 10:35:23 PM »

nope, and i have doubt with the time accuracy..

but hack, price is real good deal :)

Offline Gabriel

• Freshie
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 07:08:25 AM »
Wah! Hand wound 8 days, this is kind of challenging your hand. LoL

But 8 days with that price, sounds like a good deal  :Cheers:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 04:32:20 PM »

Hi, David,

I begin suspect you are a bit like that JOS fellow, busy fine tuning your watches every night to within zero daily deviation rate. Since this piece does not come with any minute markers (sigh...again), running fast/slow by a minute or two a day will not be noticed easily (that is, until such time that you miss your bus, MRT, exams, job interview, parking expiration time in Singapore, hot date, lunch with future in-laws....etc   :D :D). Anyway, to be fair, maybe it's far too early to pass any judgment on accuracy without really having a piece on our wrist. ;)

Here is a picture of the view from the rear... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f75/new-panerai-pam-510-a-893974.html

Why have a see through case back when 80% of the view is blocked by a Spartan piece of grey metal??  ???

Offline davidtth

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 05:35:18 PM »

Hi, David,

I begin suspect you are a bit like that JOS fellow, busy fine tuning your watches every night to within zero daily deviation rate. Since this piece does not come with any minute markers (sigh...again), running fast/slow by a minute or two a day will not be noticed easily (that is, until such time that you miss your bus, MRT, exams, job interview, parking expiration time in Singapore, hot date, lunch with future in-laws....etc   :D :D). Anyway, to be fair, maybe it's far too early to pass any judgment on accuracy without really having a piece on our wrist. ;)

Here is a picture of the view from the rear... http://forums.watchuseek.com/f75/new-panerai-pam-510-a-893974.html

Why have a see through case back when 80% of the view is blocked by a Spartan piece of grey metal??  ???

kinda, every morning to be actual :p

the second hand can roughly tell the accuracy, had tried my COSC 111 before but never been within the accuracy range even i had bought back SC to de-magnetize  :-\

Offline Ilovewatches

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 07:05:22 PM »
What a gorgeous watch! I love it. And 8 days power reserve is cool.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 08:32:24 PM »

Agreed that it would be nice if more were 'displayed' yet many fall head over heel for German watches with their three quarter plate.... Oh just realized the Germans offers 5% more view.  ;D :)

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2013, 09:09:21 PM »

Agreed that it would be nice if more were 'displayed' yet many fall head over heel for German watches with their three quarter plate.... Oh just realized the Germans offers 5% more view.  ;D :)

It is indeed curious every time we critique a pam watch, an explanation or defence will be raised referring to another brand no matter how relevant, irrelevant or tenuous that may be. Whatever another brand is doing, surely the issue at hand is what panerai is doing or has done, in this case the Pam 510, with the Cal. P5000. When someone is charged with theft, it is of no consequence if he says Robin Hood also stole, no matter how famous or noble Robin Hood was. It is indeed strange, but...oh just realised again we are talking about a fashion watch which is being passed off as something grander.   

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »

It is indeed curious every time we critique a pam watch, an explanation or defence will be raised referring to another brand no matter how relevant, irrelevant or tenuous that may be. Whatever another brand is doing, surely the issue at hand is what panerai is doing or has done, in this case the Pam 510, with the Cal. P5000. When someone is charged with theft, it is of no consequence if he says Robin Hood also stole, no matter how famous or noble Robin Hood was. It is indeed strange, but...oh just realised again we are talking about a fashion watch which is being passed off as something grander.

Ok. Lets look at panerai as a brand or watch. I have no idea as to why they design the watch or rather movement such, they claim that it is a homage to old movements they use to use. I would guess the Angelus movement of old that had a larger than normal plate. To me, the failing point of the movement is the lack of the power reserve indicator. It may be because the old angelus movement that was also an 8 day movement was without a power reserve indicator. At the end of the day, we can only speculate, the truth, I guess we will never know.

As for the watch being a fashion brand passing off as something grander, maybe it is true. We have to establish the definition of fashion brand. Just because the owners changes the straps and have access to thousands, makes it a fashion brand, so be it. It may not be a brand for all, some like it, some love it, some hate it and some even loath it. Can't please everyone.

If you like the watch, buy it, if not don't. If you think the lack of the minute marker is a not for you, perhaps models in the historic collection may not be for you, save the white dial models. Perhaps, models in the contemporary collection may suit you more, as they do have models with the minute markers. However this is based on the fact that you like the watch/ brand or what ever reason you are buying the watch.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 09:43:01 PM »

Oh boy... I'm getting my popcorn and beers ready...

:Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 09:56:08 PM »
As for the watch being a fashion brand passing off as something grander, maybe it is true.

I knew you would see the light one day and follow the right path.  :Praying: :Praying: For your information, never for one second did I give up hope that one day you'd see the truth....I am so touched now, tears welling up in my eyes... :'( :'(

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 10:21:05 PM »
As for the watch being a fashion brand passing off as something grander, maybe it is true.

I knew you would see the light one day and follow the right path.  :Praying: :Praying: For your information, never for one second did I give up hope that one day you'd see the truth....I am so touched now, tears welling up in my eyes... :'( :'(

This is what I said 'As for the watch being a fashion brand passing off as something grander, maybe it is true. We have to establish the definition of fashion brand. Just because the owners changes the straps and have access to thousand, makes it a fashion brand, so be it.' Did not say I agree with it.

As for me seeing the light one day and follow the right path, don't think it's today. I may not agree with what Panerai is doing, but I still like the watches they make, well not all and not at the prices they charge, but I still like them. I am critical of what panerai is doing and the products they offer, but there are still nice pieces that they have and would like to get to complete my collection. If or not I do it, is another story.

Offline shunmukanathan1988

« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2014, 12:04:20 PM »
Hi Guys,

I plan to purchase my first Panerai watch. I'm looking into pam510 or pam000. Can someone suggest which would be a better purchase. Below is my view on the pros and cons between pam510 and pam000.

Pam510
Pros - It is a 8day movement which is something unique.
        - It is a in-house movement.
Cons - The movement is still new by panerai so most probably we will face issue with the movement in the future.

Pam000
Pros - It is panerai base model.
        - The movement is very reliable.
Cons - It is not an in house movement
         - This model soon panerai will stop the production. Worry whether still can send for service once panerai stop the             production.

Please feedback which watch is a better value for money.

P/S: I like both of the watch design but still contemplating which model to purchase.

Offline sean

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2014, 12:39:46 PM »
Between this 2 I will choose the pam000 as is going to stop production soon, the 510 u can always get it later. And you concern for the servicing for 000, which I think Is not an issue, The service can be done by any watchmaker. Hope this help.

« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2014, 01:06:02 PM »
Hi Sean,

Thanx for the feedback. I really like the pam000, however this watch is so hard to obtain. I'm still requesting around for the watch for past 7 months and none of the AD or grey dealer can obtain the pam000 watch. That is the reason I'm looking into the pam510 as it look similar as pam000.

Offline kygan711

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2014, 02:12:48 PM »
try watch publika. they got one new 000 but price very close to 510 due to very limited stock like you said. So no saving there already.

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2014, 07:47:30 PM »
hi,

I was so unlucky as the watch already sold. someone from penang came in the morning N purchase the watch  :-[

Offline kenji1903

• My travel blog :P
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2014, 06:31:12 AM »
Hi Sean,

Thanx for the feedback. I really like the pam000, however this watch is so hard to obtain. I'm still requesting around for the watch for past 7 months and none of the AD or grey dealer can obtain the pam000 watch. That is the reason I'm looking into the pam510 as it look similar as pam000.
actually the 000 looks more like the 560... then again, since 560 is a sandwich dial, it should be more of a 112 ;D

small seconds like the 510, should be 111 and 005?

Offline Timeless

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 12:30:55 PM »
Logo always sing to me, try surf around at pcom. U should be able to hunt for it