Author Topic: Water resistant mark claim  (Read 3428 times)

Offline Yoda

Water resistant mark claim
« on: January 29, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »
Dear members

I would like to clarify about this water resistant level.

I have read from some watch manual that states the following:-

50m - not to wear during bathing only resistant to hand wash

100m - recommended for wearing during bath but not recommended for swimming

200m - diving and swimming recommended.

My question for the clarification:-

1) Since its 50m why the watch cannot be worn in a shallow swimming pool? Does it go by the level of depth measurement?

2) How come the 100m not recommended for swimming though can be use for bathing. What if use for diving in a shallow water?

Could the watch manual a little conservative?

Whats the real practice?

Your clarification sought.

Thanks
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:17:31 AM by Yoda »
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline Primus

Re: Water resistant mark claim
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2013, 10:53:39 AM »
In regards to the water activities for me 50m means dont touch water at all, 100m can swim, 200m for recreational diving

With regards to why its like this I may be wrong but to my understanding all the water resistant level testing is done on a brand new watch in a labotary environment when the watch is placed still on a stand. This means due to wear and tear over time the resistance value of ur watch will start to wear down and ur watch is not as resistant as it was when new as such the recommend levels are normally conservative. Another big factor is the movement of ur hanf wearing the watch whilst under water actually generates more pressure or force on ur watch dependent on the speed, rather than ur watch just sitting there, therefore there is an unknown factor there hence the conservative estimate.

This is my noob understanding wld be glad  if someone else can give a more accurate ans if im wrong
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 10:55:24 AM by Primus »

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »
My take

50m - High end brand, wash hand only to wrist level, careful not to sprinkle water to your watch
         Seiko 5 - who cares?

100m - High end brand, better remove your watch before entering water.
           Mid / low end brand, who cares?

200m - Use only my orange monster for these water activities. :) :) :)

My 2 cts
dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline Calibr

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2013, 01:17:26 PM »
The caution probably refers to watches that are no longer under warranty.. through normal wear and tear, the gaskets around the crown could have worn off, weakening the water resistance. If the watches are still under warranty, then the manufacturer would have to make good if watch is defective in this respect.. But how many people actually wear their expensive luxury watches to swim in the pool or in the sea??  ???

Offline davidtth

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2013, 02:07:57 PM »
well, none of my watch are going into water even if i have deep sea  :angel:

G-shock is the only watch can go water  ;D

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 02:11:56 PM »
Another big factor is the movement of ur hanf wearing the watch whilst under water actually generates more pressure or force on ur watch dependent on the speed, rather than ur watch just sitting there, therefore there is an unknown factor there hence the conservative estimate.

I have read and heard this many times. Just a question, how much force is really generated by us trashing our hand or wrist at say 3 feet of water and let say at 10 feet. Or when scuba diving.

Anyway, if you dive with your watch or use your watch for diving and is dependent on it, I would suggest sending the watch for testing on a yearly basis.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »
I think for watches with actual screw down crowns like Rolex, the water resistance is as stated. I doubt trashing your hands in water can generate excessive G-force.

Offline Yoda

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 05:31:57 AM »
Dear members

Thanks for your input and feedback

Subsequent to this posting I did a further research and noted the following to be shared;-

People are often confused by what the stated water resistance of watches actually means. Does a watch with “50 metres” as the water resistance mean you can dive with it as deep as 50 metres? No, you cannot. So why do they write 50 metres on it? Because it is referring to static pressure, not the actual depth of water it can be used in. This is a common misconception.

50 metres refers to the pressure experienced if it was static at a depth of 50 metres. When the watch moves the pressure rises well above a static pressure of 50 metres. 50 metres of static water pressure is easily achieved even in shallow depths. Consequently, a 50 metres watch should not be used for diving, however it can be immersed in water.

Here are some common explanations of common water resistance standards:

Water resistant means splash proof only - it can withstand slight splashes and rain, but is NOT to be immersed in water.

The table below outlines general guidelines of the water resistancy you will receive from an accordingly rated watch.

30 metres / 3 ATM

Splash proof and waterproof in small amounts of water

50 metres / 5 ATM

Can be submerged in water. Suitable for swimming, but not guaranteed to be resistant to jumping into the pool.

100 metres / 10 ATM

Suitable for swimming and shallow diving

200 metres / 20 ATM

Suitable for diving – not deep sea.

Well I think I got it.

Like David Cheong had said Seiko 5 and Orange monster

This one a non ferocious mini Orange Monster Seiko 5 just fit the bill.

"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda