Author Topic: Is ticking sound supposed to be audible?  (Read 5927 times)

Offline panlex

• Freshie
Is ticking sound supposed to be audible?
« on: January 03, 2014, 08:25:52 AM »
It might sound silly but if you put your ear near to a mechanical watch, are you supposed to hear the ticking sound? Or should it be quiet?

Another question: For a manual watch, when the power reserve is running low, will the time become slower and slower? Or the time stays accurate and stops immediately when the PR is 0?

What's your experience?

Offline skyliner23

• Freshie
Re: Is ticking sound supposed to be audible?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 08:45:45 AM »
It might sound silly but if you put your ear near to a mechanical watch, are you supposed to hear the ticking sound? Or should it be quiet?

Another question: For a manual watch, when the power reserve is running low, will the time become slower and slower? Or the time stays accurate and stops immediately when the PR is 0?

What's your experience?

It's normal ....don't worry ..so far all my watches are rather accurate even when power reserve are low.

Offline sshark

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 08:53:05 AM »
it is normal. some are quiet but audible when you held it next to ur ear. some you can hear it in a quiet room.

Offline panlex

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 10:47:37 AM »
WHat about the time? Slower and slower when power is low or the accuracy is maintained until it stops?

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 11:22:53 AM »
WHat about the time? Slower and slower when power is low or the accuracy is maintained until it stops?
Accuracy not affected. It will stop when PR runs out.

Offline sshark

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 11:29:34 AM »
it is not entirely true for me. timing is good only the PR is above low. it is not that it off by a minute / day. for some brands the timing is good til the last drop. :)

Offline panlex

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 12:13:10 PM »
it is not entirely true for me. timing is good only the PR is above low. it is not that it off by a minute / day. for some brands the timing is good til the last drop. :)

So it depends, right? Even though it's off, it won't be much. However, I notice once my watch is off about an hour (but pending confirmation). Does this cause an alarm?

Offline sshark

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2014, 12:25:15 PM »
Yes, an hour would be too much. Btw, what is the brand of your watch? Even Seiko 5 won't be thrown off for an hour when running out of power.

Offline j0shua

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:49:14 PM »
My P.3000 is the loudest of the lot. Can hear it tick while driving with no music on...

Offline skyliner23

• Freshie
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:55:33 PM »

So it depends, right? Even though it's off, it won't be much. However, I notice once my watch is off about an hour (but pending confirmation). Does this cause an alarm?

Are you sure? Mind to share what brand is that? Even some of my mirco brand watches like helson don't behave like this...not even my cheap auto seiko...

Offline jetstrim

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 01:44:48 PM »
Some of my mechanicals runs a tad slower when nearing the end of its wind but too much, press the alarm bell

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 03:31:37 PM »

Are you sure? Mind to share what brand is that? Even some of my mirco brand watches like helson don't behave like this...not even my cheap auto seiko...

Panerai , P3000 is panerail in house movement...

Offline panlex

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 08:09:00 PM »
Just re-confirmed that the time is not off until it's power is zero. Phew! Give a scare.

Offline windstruckk

« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 11:39:05 PM »
My Planet Ocean 2500 also got ticking sound.

Anyone know if there's any mechanical watches that doesn't tick?

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2014, 03:16:46 AM »
I think all mechanical watch got ticking sound, maybe it is a sound of the ticking escapement. In my experience, the movement with lower vph like seiko movement and ETA C01.211 make more audible ticking sound rather than ETA2824 which is running at 28800 vph. The sound volume might be vary depends on the thickness or casing design. :)

Offline Cocas

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 04:08:36 AM »
Diver or water resistance 200m and above, normally we can't hear the ticking sounds.

I was surprised that ETA 2824 movement sounds differently in different watches, eg.titoni, epos, tissot, mido, oris. No idea why is that so?

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 07:31:08 AM »
No problem, ticking sound means your watch is working fine. You should worry if your watch has NO ticking sound.  ;D

Agreed, on diver watches the ticking sound is very faint, unless you stick your ear on it.

Regarding different sound of the ETA2824, it has to do with physics maybe. IMHO, different brands use different grade of Stainless steel for their cases and has different dimensions. Therefore,as vibrations through different thickness and metal structure will vary, hence different sound.
Seiko fan.....

Offline asimo

« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »

is both Automatic and manual hand winding tick the same ?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2016, 07:54:35 AM »
No problem, ticking sound means your watch is working fine. You should worry if your watch has NO ticking sound.  ;D

Agreed, on diver watches the ticking sound is very faint, unless you stick your ear on it.

Regarding different sound of the ETA2824, it has to do with physics maybe. IMHO, different brands use different grade of Stainless steel for their cases and has different dimensions. Therefore,as vibrations through different thickness and metal structure will vary, hence different sound.

Thanks for info sharing.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »

is both Automatic and manual hand winding tick the same ?

Yeah. The ticking sound is actually the pallet fork engaging with the escape wheel. In watchmaking terms, we usually call it the heartbeat of the watch. The ticking sound is also used when we are evaluating the health of the watch, just like doctors listening to the heartbeat.

Bro Cocas, you're welcome.
Seiko fan.....

Offline Caseywai

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »
If you want a no ticking sound watch, go for the Seiko spring drive! Marvelous sweep.... I recall the Miyota entry level automatic movement has the loudest ticking noise....

Offline elado249

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2016, 09:55:34 AM »
Normally you can hear the ticking sound of the watch. Some watches are loud, some are not, depending on the construction and assembly of the case. Like my Oris Depth Gauge, you can barely hear the ticking. But hey, the ticking, it is a blessing, a pure enjoyment of wearing a mechanical watch. So do not worry. On the power reserve thing, I believe good watches have a good systems that can deliver time accurately. Some high end watches using this something mechanism that can deliver constant torque to the gears & train. Even your power reserve is low, the accuracy is still top notch. Some watches does not have this system, so the lower your power reserve is, the accuracy of the watch can be slightly off. That why you need to wind your watch daily to keep accurate time.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2016, 10:01:41 AM »
Most of my ETA movement watches only got dididididi, some louder, the special one is my Titoni Airmaster, its sound is like cheng cheng cheng.... sound like swords fighting sound.