Author Topic: Seiko Retro Classic Automatic Watch SNKM97K1  (Read 4952 times)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Seiko Retro Classic Automatic Watch SNKM97K1
« on: October 10, 2014, 02:08:37 PM »
Recently, Seiko started to reproduce some of its vintage designs from its 1960s automatic collection for the current market. Powering the watches is the iconic 7S series automatic movements.

One particular model that was chosen for the reproduction (with some modern adjustments) has been given the name the Seiko Retro Classic Automatic Watch SNKM97K1 which has the retro-looking cushion shaped casing and a brilliant green dial.

The watch, including the bracelet, is made out of stainless steel. It has a cushion shaped casing with a crown located at 3 o'clock. It has a diameter of 45 mm (excluding crown) and a lug width of 20 mm. It comes with an emerald green dial with a date and day complication window at the 3 o'clock position. The casing and bracelet have polish finishing. Only the central links on the bracelet being polished to a mirror finish.

Resizing the bracelet is much easier. Instead of the typical pin-and-collar system, this time Seiko discarded the use of the collar. Instead of a collar for the pin, one end of the pin has been flared. This can be seen in the photo below (note the end of the pin on the right has been split and spread to be slightly wider than the rest of the pin). This has the effect of creating the necessary friction to lock the pin in place once placed inside the pin holes.

A simple idea that reduces manufacturing costs and minimizes the stress of manipulating/misplacing the fine collar in the older system. Not sure whether this was done previously in the original model or just a new design. I totally approve. It makes the resizing a less stressful affair with this simplified method.

Seiko decided to put in the 7S26C movement into this watch. This is the old workhorse of Seiko that uses 21 jewels and operate at 21,600 b.p.h. It is an automatic and unregulated movement that does not have winding and seconds hand stop (hacking) functionality.

I am surprised that Seiko did not use the 4R series movement for this model. I would expect at least a winding option would have been a good choice for this model. The only reason I could think why this strategy was chosen is because of surplus stock which needed to be pushed out.

This watch has a universal appeal. For formal wear, it can compete with the best. For leisure wear, it also can hold its own. Although it may not expected to be able to suffer the kind of knocks a sports watch could endure, it has a wrist presence that oozes sophistication and coolness.

For more visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com/2014/10/seiko-retro-classic-automatic-watch.html
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Everdying

Re: Seiko Retro Classic Automatic Watch SNKM97K1
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 03:01:49 PM »
lug width is actually 24mm :P

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Seiko Retro Classic Automatic Watch SNKM97K1
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 05:06:06 PM »
lug width is actually 24mm :P

You're right. It is 24 mm. Thanks for pointing it out!  :thumbsup: