Author Topic: Omega Seamaster Professional Titanium 2231.80.00  (Read 5142 times)

Offline jason_recliner

Omega Seamaster Professional Titanium 2231.80.00
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:58:02 AM »

I was extremely fortunate to pick up a titanium Seamaster on the Bond bracelet (reference 2231.80.00) from a well regarded collector a few weeks ago.  

Fortunate because this lovely fellow was offering this discontinued and relatively rare version of the SMP at a VERY reasonable price.  Fortunate because I almost sort of nearly had enough funds in my bank account to make it happen.  OK, so I had to barter with a dentist that week, offering my 16600 as collateral in order to facilitate an energency wisdom tooth removal (I kid you not!), because I needed the spare $$$ for this watch, but I more or less had the readies. All is well that ends well!

And fortunate because I'm a big Bond fan.  My Planet Ocean was on the market at the time, and I was missing it before it was even sold.  Due the fickleness, peculiarities, and vagaries of the WIS world, right now everybody wants their Seamaster on the Speedmaster bracelet, as per the 2254.50 and such, which means the Bond bracelet models are relatively and surprisingly affordable.  I'm a bit of a traditionalist, a stickler, and a purist when it comes to watches.  I want my Seamaster on the Seamaster bracelet, which is the rather elaborate and supremely comfortable nine link version, as far as I am concerned.  

When / if I eventually get around to adding a Speedie it will be on the Speedie bracelet.  Also, I want my Seamaster as worn by 007, thank you very much.  And he NEVER rocked a Speedie bracelet.  While the 2231.80 isn't technically a Bond watch, it's pretty damn close apart from the sword hands and Ti case.  It's less blingy than the equivalent Bond watch (2531.80), too, more casual - James probably wore a 2231.80 on weekends while weeding or cleaning the loo.  So, a Bond-ish watch, then.

An added bonus is that the Bond bracelet is more comfortable than the already-very-comfortable Speedie bracelet, and pretty much on a par with the PO bracelet in this respect.  It is even fitted with the same machined clasp as the PO.  A shame, then, and somewhat ironic, that this beautiful clasp is also responsible for the one aspect of this model which really grinds my gears - no micro-adjust.

There were other appealing aspects to this particular watch.  I sold my Samurai last year and missed having a Ti watch.  I like steel, but the duller, less white,  more matte grey of Ti has it's own character.  Also, since selling my Orange Monster and gifting my SNK809, the watch box was completely lacking in colour.  Plus, I've never owned a blue dial, and Omega really nailed it on this one.  

I have also been looking for a daily wear type watch which is a bit dressier than my much loved Giez.  Apart from the 16600 (which, technically, belongs to my hoped-for future son, and so should be treated with respect) all my other 'classy' watches are either vintage (and therefore should be treated with respect) or LNIB / near mint (and therefore should be treated with respect).  The 'treat with respect' part doesn't really fit with the remit of my day-to-day activities, since I commute by bike.  Although this 2231 is in good nick, there is still enough wabi that I won't have to worry about every little scratch and dink.  So it will join the Giez in the daily rotation, cycling and all (not off-road though).

Finally, the opportunity to purchase from a fellow forum member and actual enthusiast, as opposed to the increasingly prevalent pawn broker / stooge types, was just too good to pass up.  It's been a long time between drinks, and it was worth the wait - a case of the stars aligning, and all that guff.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
Re: Omega Seamaster Professional Titanium 2231.80.00
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 11:44:32 AM »
 :thumbsup:
This is one of the watches that represents the Omega DNA to me.. may not be iconic in other people's minds....

The SMP in titanium. The grey titanium matches the toolish purpose of the watch perfectly not to mention complements the blue wave dial.
The sword hands projects the no nonsense look.
And to me the SMP bracelet is one of the most beautiful bracelets on any watch, period.

I'm looking for the SMP chrono in titanium with gold highlights myself..
The image of it has never left my mind since I saw it on a friend's wrist many2 years ago.

Excellent value for money for a tool watch. If only the movement had a bit more panache... :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:24:19 PM by JOS2012 »
Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Devilzzz44

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 11:56:47 AM »
Stunning piece there :thumbsup:

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 01:04:15 PM »
Thanks guys.

Jos, you'll notice I didn't bother to mention the movement!

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:11:09 PM »
Nice watch
Seiko fan.....

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2014, 09:52:52 AM »

Just a brief update, having worn the SMP a LOT over the past few months. 

I still think this is an excellent choice for those seeking an everyday wearable mid-high end automatic dive watch.  It's smallish, light, comfortable, and nice looking while not being so refined that I feel the need to baby it.  The 2892 based movement is a peach, as is anything based on a 2892 in my experience.

(I know Jos, the 2892 isn't exciting, but it really is a smoothie!)

My only real complaints would be related to the clasp.  While beautifully finished, the extension is held in by friction only, and it is now loose enough that it tends to open while taking the watch off.  No biggie, but a small blemish on an otherwise superb watch.  The absence of micro adjustability on these Omega clasps is a more serious issue with regard to functionality but I knew that going in.  Having found a good comfortable fit for winter, I'll have to resize the bracelet for summer.  Again, not the end of the world but a bit of a pain.

Overall, then, highly recommended, and I can't think of a better everyday auto dive watch in the US$1,500 price range.

Offline JOS2012

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2014, 11:29:09 AM »
I would be the first to admit that whilst the 2892 is ubiquitous, it is a very good workhorse movement with fine chronometric qualities.

I also totally concur that for USD1,500, there aren't many watches that can beat this titanium Seamaster 300 as a daily beater that doesn't need much TLC
This is excellent value for money, no doubt….. unlike many other un-modified ETA based watches priced as high as between USD 3-5K.

Personal taste and preferences evolve over years, hopefully not 1 full circle otherwise it means we haven't learnt a single thing.

Offline Skydrag

• Freshie
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 05:27:49 PM »
Great watch and nice photo skill  :thumbsup: