Author Topic: Greetings! Another noobie from KL.  (Read 9157 times)

Offline ivanpei

Greetings! Another noobie from KL.
« on: April 12, 2012, 07:26:25 AM »
Hi guys, I'm a total watch newbie, but I've read up on forums and sites about watches lar. I'll be getting my first "real" watch this Saturday as a wedding present from my dad so I can't wait! Looking forward to the sifus here for guidance! I'll post pics/review when I get my watch. :)

Offline meoramri

• Global Moderator
    • My Eastern Watch Collection
Re: Greetings! Another noobie from KL.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:21:59 AM »
Welcome and congrats on your wedding!
Main watch blog visit: http://easternwatch.blogspot.com

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
welcome mate ! :Dancing_banana:

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
Thanks guys! Some info about me lar. I am a young Exec, been working for 3 + years already in the oil and gas industry. Was quite lucky, got sent off for some overseas assignments early in my career and allowance was enough for my house downpayments. Also have a car d, so can afford to gatal other stuff, like watches. Hahaha. I'm getting married soon (already sign lar, but reception not yet) in September so my dad wants to get me and my wife watches. So that's where the hunt started. Initially I thought Tag Heuer was pretty good d. I can't wear a Rolex because A: It's too expensive, and B: My bosses all wear Rolex, so for a junior exec to wear Rolex, quite action/LYY lar, don't think its suitable for my age.

Initially I wanted to get a Tag Carrera Calibre 5. But my dad is a long time fan of watches (been through Zenith, Rolex, Citizen, Seiko etc) so he says Tag not really considered a Luxury watch. So he told me to pick an omega model which is like 20-30% more expensive, so still can stretch a bit lar. I started liking the Iconic Speedmaster, but the only model I can afford is the Day-Date which IMO is not authentic. The original speedy pro with the NASA inscription and Hesalite Glass is the "grail" version and the other versions like quite alang-alang. Also Speedy Pro is expensive and not practical (manual winding/ Hesalite so not scratch proof).

So I decided to go for a Seamaster model. Most Omega owners I notice prefer the Planet Ocean, but no offence lar, I think the look is quite "uncle" even though it is a classic. I prefer the Seamaster Pro models. Started liking the Bond SMP 300m. My dad was ok with that but he thinks the Chronograph version is nicer. I went down to the KLCC boutique during lunch to check out the watches lar and WOW, I fell in love with the Blue Seamaster Pro Chronograph. Main reason is because I'm quite a big guy (182 cm, 90 KG) so the original Seamaster quite small lar, too thin for me. I like the Chrono because it's much thicker, and suits my wrist more. Also the subdials are quite nice and since I'm working as a technical guy (I'm a geologist/ geophysicist), I think more suitable kua.

Also apparently the Seamaster 300m Chronograph was the first Commercial Diving watch that has a Chronograph that can be operated underwater. IMO thats pretty cool lar, really rasa Bond Wei (though he never actually used this model in the movies). I'm excited to get the watch this Sat, can't wait!

Also, my grail watches are the Rolex Sub (cause my dad wears one, and it's iconic lar) and if I have money, I'd love a AP Royal Oak Stainless Steel (preferably with Chronograph). Dear sifu's, looking forward to your guidance.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:42:44 PM by ivanpei »

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 01:02:06 PM »
Hahaha. I'm getting married soon (already sign lar, but reception not yet)

u use mont blanc pen or u ur pen** to sign?

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 07:23:01 PM »
before i got married and my father inlaw gave me a watch I was a healthy boy... one Omega speedmaster later im completly scewed  :Blue: once you go in there is no looking back...
We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 07:25:35 PM »
frankly, the Omega is too "apek" as well. why not take a look at some nice Zenith? different from the usual Rolex/Omega tag team.

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 07:32:37 PM »
Anyone knowing me knows that badmouthing Omega = one punsh away (wont do it but still) olympics taekwondo Erik... was me Omega rules Erik will protect

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 07:54:38 PM »
My 1st serious watch was a Omega... I guess you can call me "apek" Tyler  :Laughing_on_floor:

Regards
"apek"

frankly, the Omega is too "apek" as well. why not take a look at some nice Zenith? different from the usual Rolex/Omega tag team.

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 08:12:32 PM »
Hi, Ivan.
Welcome to MWF and thanks for your introduction. Congrats on your wedding and may you wear your new watch in good health.  :thumbsup: :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 05:41:40 AM »
Hahaha sign with 50 cent pen at temple. Pen** have to wait until after reception. Thanks for. The warm welcome guys. I like some other less mainstream brands like Maurice lacroix and zenith but I think my dad wanna impress my in laws and relatives at the pao cha kua. So that's why he wanna get me a mainstream brand.

I'll definitely look into it. I love clear caseback watches, so if if I can get one with a nice movement and clear caseback in the future then good lar. Rolex has no clear caseback and. Omega coaxial clear casebacks are pricey.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 08:06:11 AM »
Hahaha sign with 50 cent pen at temple. Pen** have to wait until after reception. Thanks for. The warm welcome guys. I like some other less mainstream brands like Maurice lacroix and zenith but I think my dad wanna impress my in laws and relatives at the pao cha kua. So that's why he wanna get me a mainstream brand.

I'll definitely look into it. I love clear caseback watches, so if if I can get one with a nice movement and clear caseback in the future then good lar. Rolex has no clear caseback and. Omega coaxial clear casebacks are pricey.

omega is a gd brand.... go for it! it sell better than rolex in china....its the top contributor to swatch group by far....
n u want see through caseback u get a see through caseback....
for a big day, no fancy thing.... a cal 8500 aqua terra will be good

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your wedding. Whatever watch you get, it will always be memorable as it is your wedding gift. But for me, if you really want a Rolex, tighten the belt and go look at a pre-owned dealer( if you cant afford a brand new one) and just go for the Rolex since it is your grail. I flush all my savings on my first watch and never regretted it. Omega also makes fine watches. Am looking for one also at the moment.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 08:25:07 PM »
to those who think i'm bashing Omega, please re-read and try to comprehend. i put Rolex and Omega together in the same group as "apek" watches ie. old-fashioned. if you want to be different, try Zenith. the old folks wouldn't know what it is but some of their watches are truly amazing. the Striking 10th comes to mind. have you seen the chrono hand sweeping?

if you can swing about 10k, get a nice pre-owned older model TT Rolex Datejust for your wedding. they never go out of style. then swing for a Zenith for daily wear.

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 09:41:54 PM »
I seem to come of as if im pissed off at ppl.... im not.. just have a strane sence of humour. if anyone gets insulted by me it almost surely a bad joke from my side

Offline dpkong

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2012, 10:20:51 PM »
I seem to come of as if im pissed off at ppl.... im not.. just have a strane sence of humour. if anyone gets insulted by me it almost surely a bad joke from my side

point noted. but being Angry and a rodent don't quite help.....

:mooning: :mooning:

Offline Angryrodent

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 10:00:58 AM »
Rodents are marvelous animals! they chew stuff... like electrical wires and burn down houses... compare that to Eagles.. they just fly around looking all magestic, but can they burn down a house?

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 08:12:23 AM »
Waaa finally got my first Auto watch!

I stuck with my original choice lar, and I love it! As for why I didn't go for a Rolex, I won't use it as a daily wearer lar, too "visible". Also It's a wedding gift from my Dad so I don't think he wants to get me a 2nd hand watch lar. As for Zenith and the other brands, all wonderful choices, but since my dad is buying, I let him pick lar. :)

I love this watch so far. Very nice classic blue, the bezel is very nicely shaped with all the beautiful curves. The bracelet and bezel is really really shiny, probably due to the shape and how it reflects light. The clasp is A++, even my dad thinks so when comparing to his Sub. Its a chunky, solid watch that is pretty heavy but I like that. I'm very happy with it. Watch addiction here I come!

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 08:15:21 AM »
Good choice. Congratulations on a great piece.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline am_sober

• it's time~! ^^
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 08:33:05 AM »
addiction here I come!

Welcome~!
Congrat on ur new watch and wedding~
there's no turnin back now~ ^^Y
"People who says it cannot be done, should not interrupt those who are doing it~ ^^Y"

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 11:05:59 AM »
Thanks guys! BTW, the watch was bought from KCH, so I want to get the linked changed but can't go back to KCH. I went to Omega boutique last weekend in Pavi and they changed for me FOC. Which was nice of them lar. But still a loose so I want to take out another link. I work in KLCC so I went down to get it changed at S****** shop and they asked if I bought from them or not. I said no and they wanted to charge me.  >:( Which I understand lar, but wondering where else can I get my linked changed for free. Cheers!

Offline Laktos Kid

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 12:47:51 PM »
congratZ on your W&W watch and wedding ;D

Offline Godzillaz

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 05:01:46 PM »
Nice! I have been thinking a lot about this model. The SMP Chrono is definitely cool.

Thanks for sharing

Regards
Tyler

Waaa finally got my first Auto watch!

I stuck with my original choice lar, and I love it! As for why I didn't go for a Rolex, I won't use it as a daily wearer lar, too "visible". Also It's a wedding gift from my Dad so I don't think he wants to get me a 2nd hand watch lar. As for Zenith and the other brands, all wonderful choices, but since my dad is buying, I let him pick lar. :)

I love this watch so far. Very nice classic blue, the bezel is very nicely shaped with all the beautiful curves. The bracelet and bezel is really really shiny, probably due to the shape and how it reflects light. The clasp is A++, even my dad thinks so when comparing to his Sub. Its a chunky, solid watch that is pretty heavy but I like that. I'm very happy with it. Watch addiction here I come!

Offline ivanpei

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2012, 07:18:12 AM »
5th day with my Omega so far!

Today it's blue on blue!

This is a really nice watch lar, go for it! It suits me perfectly because I don't want to be too flashy with a Rolex. Afterwards kenak rob lar. I take the train so even with this watch I get a bit scared d. I think in the future I will save up money to buy a flashier watch for Dinners/Chinese New Year etc kind of events. Something like a Sub/Daytona half gold lor if I can afford  :Praying:

This will be my daily watch for a very very long time, until I can get a AP stainless steel Royal Oak. That one is soooo nice. People most probably won't recognise cause its not a popular diver/Rolex, but the watch Kaki's will definitely appreciate. I also praying can save for that. Hahahhaha.

Offline Scott C.

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2012, 03:38:39 PM »
Welcome and enjoy your stay here  :Cheers: