Author Topic: building relationship with your Rolex AD  (Read 22020 times)

Offline Cocas

Re: building relationship with your Rolex AD
« Reply #75 on: July 18, 2020, 09:29:05 AM »
I called an AD once, looking for a two-tone Submariner. They had one in stock, so I requested they hold it for me, and I would be there within the hour. I arrived, paid for it and proceeded to thank the SA who answered the phone. To my chagrin, he said he let me have it because I sounded like I was about to cry on the phone. I was in disbelief; having spent RM50k and to be insulted that way.

That AD was Cortina at Starhill, and the salesperson's name is Brandon. It was that moment when I realized the AD is supposed to build relationships with their customers, and not the other way around.

Thanks for sharing.

I will remember this name. I will let my company board of directors know this, if they ever step into any cortina outlets .

Offline an36

• Freshie
« Reply #76 on: July 18, 2020, 09:38:43 AM »
Yes, this is how Rolex AD running biz in this southern city.

All hot models are reserved for vvip, then follow by the grey market buyers which always help AD to clear those unpopular models. After that then only those fully loaded individual buyers (who normally walk in and chitchat) on their AD contact list.

*Note: AD contact list is not the waiting list.  ;D

Then the easiest way to get your desired models would be to piggy back on a VVIP friend.

:Cheers:

Got contact? I want an air king

This is not really a watch with great demand. Try to make friends with the AD especially someone higher up not just the salesman who may quit next month.. and wait for one to show up. After your first purchase, you may continue buying more and better models before you get those highly coveted watches

Yup, this is the approach. But I only manage to save up for 1 Rolex watch. I can't afford to keep buying Rolex.  :o

If there is no intention to get another watch in future, then go to the grey dealer with stock as they don't mark up this model.

Last i ask air king and milgauss are both asking at least 2k premium

From reseller?

Milgauss looks like an oyster perpetual with lightning hands and green tint to me.. that's why I prefer air king..  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline ethan89

« Reply #77 on: July 18, 2020, 10:01:39 AM »
Yes, this is how Rolex AD running biz in this southern city.

All hot models are reserved for vvip, then follow by the grey market buyers which always help AD to clear those unpopular models. After that then only those fully loaded individual buyers (who normally walk in and chitchat) on their AD contact list.

*Note: AD contact list is not the waiting list.  ;D

Then the easiest way to get your desired models would be to piggy back on a VVIP friend.

:Cheers:

Got contact? I want an air king

This is not really a watch with great demand. Try to make friends with the AD especially someone higher up not just the salesman who may quit next month.. and wait for one to show up. After your first purchase, you may continue buying more and better models before you get those highly coveted watches

Yup, this is the approach. But I only manage to save up for 1 Rolex watch. I can't afford to keep buying Rolex.  :o

If there is no intention to get another watch in future, then go to the grey dealer with stock as they don't mark up this model.

Last i ask air king and milgauss are both asking at least 2k premium

From reseller?

Milgauss looks like an oyster perpetual with lightning hands and green tint to me.. that's why I prefer air king..  :Laughing_on_floor: :Laughing_on_floor:
If you are keen, go grey. Like some others said, not much mark up for this model, relatively easy to score one in AD too, try ask around. 

Offline dpkong

« Reply #78 on: July 18, 2020, 10:37:20 AM »

To avoid this happening, I used to play a trick when paying visit to AD to check out the models.

When I saw or knew the sales manager or branch manger was not in or busy with other customers, I will straight away step out from the outlet.

Exactly how is this a trick that would work?

Offline Cocas

« Reply #79 on: July 18, 2020, 11:04:28 AM »

To avoid this happening, I used to play a trick when paying visit to AD to check out the models.

When I saw or knew the sales manager or branch manger was not in or busy with other customers, I will straight away step out from the outlet.

Exactly how is this a trick that would work?

Hahaha... After having read all posts here, now I know it will never work. :Laughing_on_floor:

Time for me to relax and enjoy what I have on hands right now.

Offline zack.gap

« Reply #80 on: July 23, 2020, 12:03:53 PM »
Anyone tried going to a Rolex AD post MCO? Went to one in KL and they were pretty friendly and courteous. Gave an almost instant reply when I texted enquiring about a DJ. Think not much mainland China buyers these days so their ricebowl is affected ::)

Offline W3ll

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2020, 12:24:25 PM »
Anyone tried going to a Rolex AD post MCO? Went to one in KL and they were pretty friendly and courteous. Gave an almost instant reply when I texted enquiring about a DJ. Think not much mainland China buyers these days so their ricebowl is affected ::)

Visited a couple of times and yeah sales are definitely not doing good without the tourist market... i could sit in the AD for an hour chit chatting without a single customer that walk in

Offline dpkong

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2020, 12:36:46 PM »

No tourist purchases should definitely hurt the market a fair bit but not much difference if they haven't got anything to sell.

Visited a couple of times and yeah sales are definitely not doing good without the tourist market... i could sit in the AD for an hour chit chatting without a single customer that walk in

How's the display drawers? Do you see a large range of watches or just the usual solid gold and two-tone Datejusts?

Offline W3ll

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2020, 06:11:23 PM »

No tourist purchases should definitely hurt the market a fair bit but not much difference if they haven't got anything to sell.

How's the display drawers? Do you see a large range of watches or just the usual solid gold and two-tone Datejusts?

To be frank without the tourist is kinda hit them quite hard, usually the china tourist are the one taking up the gold / diamonds / two tone rolex from AD, without them they have to solely rely on the local market which definitely do not have that purchasing power like the chinese..

the drawers do have some surprises after MCO lifted, get to see some non-two tone datejusts 36mm with smooth bezels and even some yacht masters..
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 06:13:11 PM by Petai300 »

Offline heart_killer39

• Freshie
« Reply #84 on: July 31, 2020, 09:47:09 AM »

Went in to a few ADs in the pas few weeks looking for my favourite models and am still not able to get my hands on them as these SA have the common answer of saying that the sports models are on a long waiting list.......

Gesh even the AD that I bought 2 ROLEX watches from in 2015 and 2016 still hasn't sold me a sports model that I wanted and claims that they haven't received a single stock.

Sadly, I met someone who picked up the exact same watch in 2019 from them,

Online ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #85 on: August 03, 2020, 08:23:48 PM »

Oh well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kesharoo

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2020, 08:37:04 AM »
Shameonwrist is one of the best! Really funny guy.

Offline c4all

« Reply #87 on: September 06, 2020, 05:31:13 AM »
Tried building a relationship with my AD since 2015. Didn't work out. The staff kept changing, the owners didn't think i was an important enough client. I used to think what my friend said was far-fetched in regards to this. After all, this is still a business and who does not want to make money? Now I learnt that there is such a thing as preferring another's money over mine.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #88 on: September 06, 2020, 10:24:55 AM »
Tried building a relationship with my AD since 2015. Didn't work out. The staff kept changing, the owners didn't think i was an important enough client. I used to think what my friend said was far-fetched in regards to this. After all, this is still a business and who does not want to make money? Now I learnt that there is such a thing as preferring another's money over mine.

I think a blanket statement to cover all ADs and all salespeople is a bit unfair, but then again I'm only there on holiday trips so never stayed long enough to start a discussion with a particular SA. That said, there were one or two SAs who looked like they had potential as they actually spent a bit of time trying to interact with me or asked if I would like to see a particular model in store instead of giving me the "no stock, go away" look.

Changing staff is always a problem so try to get connected to the manager as well. At least if the SA goes away, the manager can assign you a new SA.

Offline nctt1971

• Freshie
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2020, 10:29:43 PM »
Yup, those were the days.. u can walk in and try out sports model and buy it with discount... many to choose from and if u don't like the salesperson u can walk to the next shop... some even serve you coffee.. haha

Offline Tzehuic

« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2020, 07:54:08 AM »
My recent personal experience - I called up Hung Cheong Watch (Rolex AD) in Kuching's The Spring Shopping Mall yesterday asking the arrival of 2020 DJ models they told me they are still waiting for stock from Rolex which is not available at the moment. I asked him any indicative date the new stock will arrive & straight away he sounds very unhappy and asked me why I couldn't understand what he has told me. Very disappointed by this sort of attitude & no way we can rely on any kind of relationship with AD nowadays.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2020, 11:27:14 AM »
My recent personal experience - I called up Hung Cheong Watch (Rolex AD) in Kuching's The Spring Shopping Mall yesterday asking the arrival of 2020 DJ models they told me they are still waiting for stock from Rolex which is not available at the moment. I asked him any indicative date the new stock will arrive & straight away he sounds very unhappy and asked me why I couldn't understand what he has told me. Very disappointed by this sort of attitude & no way we can rely on any kind of relationship with AD nowadays.

Sadly this is the normal treatment anyone they don't know gets. You probably get the same treatment if you walk in as well. Best if you follow a regular customer who has spent a lot of money there or VVIP.

Offline Cocas

« Reply #92 on: September 26, 2020, 12:08:52 PM »
Rolex motto  "A Crown for Every Achievement" , should change to "A Crown for the Rich only."

;D

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2020, 03:03:57 PM »
I have come to accept the fact that for a regular joe like me I will never be able to build a relationship with the ADs here. I bought my first Rolex (Datejust II) at an AD here in KL in 2012 and the SA had since left the job. I simply do not have the money power to compete with the VIPs to be even remotely on the list.

Years later in 2017 I had my eyes on 116500LN, needless to say there were none in stock. And the attitude I got from asking the questions weren't exactly pleasant. I tried to put my names on multiple AD's "waitlist" but I highly doubted any of them took me seriously. I can understand that the SA's are definitely fed up with non-stop questions from people asking for popular SS Sport models.

So while traveling to US I just went paid the premium at the Grey market. Never looked back.

Offline abyss8888

« Reply #94 on: October 27, 2020, 04:48:32 AM »
May i ask something? is it buying a rolex in AD and my resale value will be drop or increase within a year?

Offline IamJacky

« Reply #95 on: October 27, 2020, 08:18:27 AM »
May i ask something? is it buying a rolex in AD and my resale value will be drop or increase within a year?

Do not buy a Rolex as an investment. To answer your question, Rolex keeps its value fairly well, it depends on what model you're talking about, but generally speaking, buy what you love first and foremost and assume you'd wear it for a long time if not for a life time. And if unfortunately enough you have to sell it one day in the future, you won't be losing too much money for what you've paid for originally from the AD for sure. If you are buying Rolex as an investment and think of flipping to gain money, you may as well spend that kind of money on other more feasible form of investments which will yield better results. 

Offline Gentlemen101

« Reply #96 on: October 27, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »
Times like this all stocks and props suffered at yet rolex shooting up, you think rolex price will plunge? Try think about it....

Offline dpkong

« Reply #97 on: October 27, 2020, 06:24:29 PM »
Times like this all stocks and props suffered at yet rolex shooting up, you think rolex price will plunge? Try think about it....

Easier to put 500k worth of watches in your pocket rather than 500k of stocks or property...