Author Topic: What are your Horology Philosophy?  (Read 8370 times)

Offline dpkong

Re: What are your Horology Philosophy?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2020, 09:59:32 AM »

Are you a collector or enthusiast?

Buy to add to a collection? Does the collection have a theme?

Buy to wear? Do you match watch to outfit?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
I am still trying to decide if I am a one-watch man or if I like a variety. Whilst I am happy that my Submariner covers most situation, I do get bored of it at times and would like to change to something more exciting but I still find it hard to convince myself to get another watch.

I would normally promote variety but I do understand that not everyone would be happy with a box of watches. It is more likely that you are a one-watch man. What you are feeling now is an itch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline dpkong

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2020, 06:28:02 PM »
I am still trying to decide if I am a one-watch man or if I like a variety. Whilst I am happy that my Submariner covers most situation, I do get bored of it at times and would like to change to something more exciting but I still find it hard to convince myself to get another watch.

I would normally promote variety but I do understand that not everyone would be happy with a box of watches. It is more likely that you are a one-watch man. What you are feeling now is an itch.

:Laughing_on_floor:

Been awhile since I heard the word "itch" being used and it is truly quite appropriate for this situation.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2020, 08:35:36 AM »

:Laughing_on_floor:

Been awhile since I heard the word "itch" being used and it is truly quite appropriate for this situation.

Depending on the level and type of itch. You either make it worse and scratch until you bleed or you relieve it temporarily. Hahahaha!!!

Offline c4all

« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2020, 10:15:11 AM »
I take it you can only tell if you try and scratch the "itch"? Read of people going down the rabbit hole when they try to scratch the itch. Is there a point of return if we start on this journey?

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »
Only one way to find out,bro. Scratch the itch and see where it leads you.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2020, 09:29:40 PM »
I take it you can only tell if you try and scratch the "itch"? Read of people going down the rabbit hole when they try to scratch the itch. Is there a point of return if we start on this journey?

Why do you want to crawl out if you're already down the rabbit hole? Just keep going to see where it leads you..

Offline skipplim

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2020, 04:03:05 PM »
Was browsing MWF and got itchy on this subject. Would like to share how I ended up buying so many watches since year 2010.

Year 2010, Was on tour in Hong Kong and decided to get a souvenir. Got myself a G Shock G-7900MS. Still wearing this for sports activities. Then in 2012, got an "itch" to own an Automatic watch...Oris Watch sale at Bangsar. Drove there and got my very first automatic watch, ORIS BC3, cost me RM2,500. Luv every minute wearing it, for work and play. Still wearing it until now. have not service it since day one.....and now a bit off timed.

I longed to own a dive watch and bought one from a SG Online seller in year 2013. A SEIKO 7S26 Made in Japan and cost me RM700. I still give this watch some wrist time until today.

Then in 2016, was oversea and decided to get a cheap dress watch as souvenir, and bought a HAMILTON VIEWMATIC for RM2400.

Then my wife and my daughter told me...why are you buying so many watches for. They told me to go buy a branded and expensive watch and then I would stop buying more watches. So year 2017, I got a nice TUDOR Heritage BB Steel from a Local AD.

With this BB..they thought it can sooth my itch. However, reading MWF's postings can definitely poison me. Call my AD and  ask for ROLEX Explorer 1. My lucky day. Bought one in year 2018.

Then in year 2019 the "itch" came again. Was on tour in Swisz, Got myself a ROLEX DJ Wembley and TUDOR BB GMT....another lucky year for me to have got these two in one AD. Even the Tour Leader was stunned because many times he has been to the AD, he is unable to get these models. See, getting one expensive watch would not stop me in getting more watches.

So.... until now I don't know what philosophy or theme for my such purchases since year 2010. A mixture of itchiness and impulsive purchases perhaps....but deep down in my heart, I have always wanted to own a ROLEX.

But I know for sure, NOW I have stopped buying more watches and trying my very best to give all these watches a fair share of wrist time. But today I am back reading MWF again and hopefully the itch is contained  for now.

PS: The TUDOR BB GMT looks too big on my wrist and decided to let go, which I have mentioned in one of my posting. Still no takers. No worries.. my son is ready to wear it when the time comes.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2020, 06:28:03 PM »
Was browsing MWF and got itchy on this subject. Would like to share how I ended up buying so many watches since year 2010.

Year 2010, Was on tour in Hong Kong and decided to get a souvenir. Got myself a G Shock G-7900MS. Still wearing this for sports activities. Then in 2012, got an "itch" to own an Automatic watch...Oris Watch sale at Bangsar. Drove there and got my very first automatic watch, ORIS BC3, cost me RM2,500. Luv every minute wearing it, for work and play. Still wearing it until now. have not service it since day one.....and now a bit off timed.

I longed to own a dive watch and bought one from a SG Online seller in year 2013. A SEIKO 7S26 Made in Japan and cost me RM700. I still give this watch some wrist time until today.

Then in 2016, was oversea and decided to get a cheap dress watch as souvenir, and bought a HAMILTON VIEWMATIC for RM2400.

Then my wife and my daughter told me...why are you buying so many watches for. They told me to go buy a branded and expensive watch and then I would stop buying more watches. So year 2017, I got a nice TUDOR Heritage BB Steel from a Local AD.

With this BB..they thought it can sooth my itch. However, reading MWF's postings can definitely poison me. Call my AD and  ask for ROLEX Explorer 1. My lucky day. Bought one in year 2018.

Then in year 2019 the "itch" came again. Was on tour in Swisz, Got myself a ROLEX DJ Wembley and TUDOR BB GMT....another lucky year for me to have got these two in one AD. Even the Tour Leader was stunned because many times he has been to the AD, he is unable to get these models. See, getting one expensive watch would not stop me in getting more watches.

So.... until now I don't know what philosophy or theme for my such purchases since year 2010. A mixture of itchiness and impulsive purchases perhaps....but deep down in my heart, I have always wanted to own a ROLEX.

But I know for sure, NOW I have stopped buying more watches and trying my very best to give all these watches a fair share of wrist time. But today I am back reading MWF again and hopefully the itch is contained  for now.

PS: The TUDOR BB GMT looks too big on my wrist and decided to let go, which I have mentioned in one of my posting. Still no takers. No worries.. my son is ready to wear it when the time comes.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I too started on the same year. Looking back, I can summarize that watch collecting is a very emotional hobby. Sometimes when the emotions kick in, logic flies out the window.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2020, 06:50:31 PM »

From your gap in purchases, I'd say the next itch should be in 2021..

:thumbsup: