Author Topic: SCAM  (Read 13831 times)

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

SCAM
« on: March 19, 2015, 12:24:12 AM »
So one fine day, I found a Mersing, Johor based conman dealer online who does business on Mudah who has a selection of vintage and new watches listed for sale at ridiculous prices, found a c-shaped case Omega Constellation cal. 564 with knurled bezel and guilloche dial going for sub RM 1000 prices which I found too good to be true. He backed it up with an email with more pictures of the watch and we agreed on a deal.

A day after payment was made, still no sign of the watch despite being promised a tracking number. I gave him a call and he said he will double-check and sms me the tracking number. Two days later, not a word and I was getting worried. A fellow newbie forum member ivanlzw whom I recently sold a watch to and consulted prior to purchasing the watch voiced his concerns based on what he could gather from another forum. Upon confirming that this was the case I tried to contact the dealer but was met with no response. All his posts on Mudah have since been removed, but according to sources he will re-emerge with a different alias but the same modus operandi.

This is the first time I've fallen for a scam despite telling myself to always be careful and getting lucky more than once in the past, I admittedly got carried away by the prospect of owning a beautiful vintage Omega at a ridiculous price. However, the damage done could have been far worse and I consider myself lucky on not losing more than what I've lost. I only ask and pray that other less experienced forum members be mindful of such things. I will be posting what information I know of the scammer, admin please edit post as necessary if inappropriate.

Information of scammer from other forum:
https://forum.lowyat.net/topic/3525383/all

Offline kygan711

Re: SCAM
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 06:12:17 AM »
You heard of the old saying " If it's too good to be true, then it probably is"

Thanks for the sharing, I have a few instances where I also also succumb to this but found out later from other forumers that the sellers for the watch I was looking at was scammers which lifted picture from somewhere else, or write reviews on their own using the same IP Address to make their profile look legit.

Hope you recover from it soon.

Offline JeepWH

• Tick...tick...tick....
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2015, 06:21:39 AM »
I sympathize with you for your loss.

Regretfully, on Mudah.my, its a matter of trust between the seller and buyer.

Luckily, i have not been scammed on Mudah so far, god bless.

If you are interested in vintage watches, I have PMed you some links to trusted dealers which i dealt with before.

Hope it helps, and hope you get your money back. AFAIK, you can complaint to the admin of Mudah.my.

Seiko fan.....

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 06:43:44 AM »
Sad to hear this. Hopes things work out for you. Perhaps you can try mudah admin, or even making a police report. As for the payment, not sure how you paid, but can try and see what protection you have.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 07:32:56 AM »
this guy been fishing around... earlier said he from Rompin, we did say we can go Rompin, then he missing!

Offline dpkong

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 07:51:43 AM »

Why do people still feed these scammers when the price is too good to be true and seller will not do a face-to-face transaction?

Offline Friedrice

• qui parle trop manque souvent
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 08:13:31 AM »

Why do people still feed these scammers when the price is too good to be true and seller will not do a face-to-face transaction?

Because a lot of people buy based on price. If it is cheap, then must buy.

Otherwise, why do you think there are still people buying from grey market and unauthorized sellers?

Cheap mah!!!

But little did they know that they will lose more than they save. Let this be a lesson to all. Buy the seller and not the watch!!!
Rolex datejust 16200
Rolex Submariner Date 116610LN
Omega Aqua Terra Co-Axial 8500
Omega seamaster co-axial GMT 2535.80
Omega speedmaster sapphire sandwich 3573.50
Breitling Avenger II GMT
Longines Legend Diver Date
Zenith 2532
Omega seamaster bumper 355
Tissot T-Touch expert
Ball engineer master ii diver
Ball trainmaster pulsemeter
Tag heuer aqua racer automatic

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 10:48:25 AM »
FFS.

::)

Offline Narco

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2015, 11:00:09 AM »
There are a few more suspicious merchant in Mudah. I tried emailing them just to see their respond but none replied back. Complaint to Mudah is one effort but as said, this type of people will switch mobile and email just for one sole purpose, to dupe people.

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2015, 12:36:53 PM »
This is why you should buy your watches at Collectible Watches Australia!

(or here from the forum, I guess).

Offline Timeless

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »
Sad to heard that.. always do the due diligence bro

Offline Calibr

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2015, 02:22:57 PM »
They are everywhere, can never be too careful before parting with your cash!

Offline spacewalker

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2015, 07:43:13 AM »
Sorry to hear this story, I had notice those advt on mudah lately. The merchant sell many pre owned swiss watches but the price is too good. Make me hesitate even to contact them.

Offline GlennTanChiaChiah

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2015, 01:39:07 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Sorry to hear this story, I had notice those advt on mudah lately. The merchant sell many pre owned swiss watches but the price is too good. Make me hesitate even to contact them.

Exactly why I fell for it in the first place, and he backed it up with additional pictures of the watch and gave me a further price which was too good to be true. Fortunately because of the too-good-to-be-true prices, I consider myself lucky to not have lost too much. This should be a reminder to all new and experienced forum members alike to always be vigilant.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2015, 01:49:00 PM »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Exactly why I fell for it in the first place, and he backed it up with additional pictures of the watch and gave me a further price which was too good to be true. Fortunately because of the too-good-to-be-true prices, I consider myself lucky to not have lost too much. This should be a reminder to all new and experienced forum members alike to always be vigilant.
To be extra cautios, I always ask for tagged pictures, i.e. watch with today newspaper

Offline niteowl

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »
ck77...good idea. I learnt something new today. thanks for sharing

Offline niteowl

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2015, 10:01:20 PM »
guys, the scammer is back as of today with company name changed to Watch-ZM (refer link on ori post). He's peddling mainly vintage Omegas so please be careful.

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2015, 12:26:51 AM »
Coin his car.

Offline Lurch

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2015, 07:57:37 AM »
Question is how did he obtain so many actual pictures of those watches?

Offline dpkong

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2015, 08:23:26 AM »
Scammers work hard around the internet finding nice pictures for you.

Doesn't matter how much you're paying but always better to do a face-to-face transaction. And you still need to beware of good fakes.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2015, 10:05:36 AM »

Question is how did he obtain so many actual pictures of those watches?
Might be stolen pictures from the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Lurch

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2015, 01:04:12 PM »
Have u seen his ads?
Different watches, multiple angles and same background. He must have gone thru a lot to obtain those pieces
Or maybe he's just really good at Photoshop  :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline jason_recliner

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2015, 05:08:06 PM »
Why not get a few big lads together, meet up with the seller, rob him and then bash him?

And then coin his car as you're leaving.  :thumbsup:

Offline Lurch

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2015, 05:14:46 PM »
Why not get a few big lads together, meet up with the seller, rob him and then bash him?

And then coin his car as you're leaving.  :thumbsup:

Don't think he does COD. That's the problem

Offline hansrayney

• Freshie
« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2015, 01:04:26 PM »
Mudah is not only full of SCAMMER sellers, but also SCAMMER buyers!
So beware guys.
I have sold a lot of watches on Mudah, and will always get a guy/girl contacting me from overseas.
They will give a good story; want to buy present for son/brother/wife.
Then you will get email from a faux bank saying the guy already transferred the money, but needs the tracking number first for the bank to complete the transfer.
What bull!  :Mad:
A man's watch is a very cherished thing. You steal that, you might as well be stealing his soul.