Author Topic: Tell me more abt Gerald Genta  (Read 4792 times)

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
Tell me more abt Gerald Genta
« on: August 12, 2010, 03:09:49 PM »
After seeing our moderator and other brothers review on Gerald Genta design watches and I think i need to learn more on GG design watches as I am pretty green on this.

Please enlighten me on the followings:-

1. Which RO model are more close to GG original design for AP, with chrono or w/o chrono??

2. GG design both VC Oversea date and Oversea Chronograph?

3. Ingénuer 3227-01 is the only one design by GG for IWC??

4. Nautilus was design by GG and how about Aquanut?

Which GG design watches would you go for it with a budget of under RM 30k(for both brand new and preown)?. This Question has nothing with the thread, I just ask for fun :HammerHead:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 05:05:07 AM by dennistwc »

Offline peanut

Re: Tell me more on Gerald Genta
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 04:56:04 PM »
Most of the GG designed watches mentioned here are more than RM30k new.  It is not very likely to get Nautilus anywhere close to 30k new or used.  So if you have a budget of less than 30k, used or preowned are the only realistic choices - may be with the exception of Ingenuer?

Offline dsiewmy

• Merchants
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
hmm, let me attempt to help out with ur questions. but i'm sure our board moderators will be able to help u more later on.

1. Which RO model are more close to GG original design for AP, with chrono or w/o chrono??
 - the closest is the RO jumbo 15202st. the original GG design for AP has no chrono, just a clean dial with date (doesn't even have seconds hand if i'm not mistaken). unfortunately it's pretty rare and selling at premium if i'm not mistaken. should be about 12.5k USD for LNIB/BNIB. but there's an cheaper alternative which is the 15300ST, it's the newer model with the new inhouse calibre 3120 (which is currently being used in the new AP ROO diver and slowly phasing in for the other ROO models). beautiful movement with 22k gold rotor and display case back. this one may be in ur price range as i've seen BNIB for 8k USD or so.

Genta only designed the original overseas model (not chrono). this is the youngest GG design amongst the big 3.

i'll leave this one for chrisyen to help. i'm not familiar with the ingeniuer range.

the aquanaut was not designed by gg, i read that it's a simpler version (base model for pateks). the aquanaut is really stripped down version of all pateks, with no complications & only a rubber "tropical" strap. but still very expensive because of the patek brand, i think is out of your budget if you're looking for aquanaut jumbo (which is closest to the nautilus design).

5. Which GG design watches would you go for it with a budget of under RM 30k(for both brand new and preown)?.
it is still down to you and which sings to you. i personally didn't really like to ingeniuer series, but love the royal oak range. problem is if you have a small wrist, it doesnt fit that well because of the way its lugs are protuding out of its case.
check out the royal oak 15300st, i think the MSRP locally is 45k (with decent discounts). slightly above ur budget, but u can search for one overseas, roughly 8k USD if i'm not mistaken for A BNIB.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »
The man himself at this years SIHH or was it last yr...

I always find that Genta was at his best when designing for other companies.
When he had his own brand his designs were geared towards a rather niche market but i still prefer his old styles like the one below.

His own company newer line under the Gerald Charles name i feel...he kinda lost his touch....or did he evolved?
The last pic, that model is selling used in a shop in Bangsar Village.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 06:06:03 AM »
hmm, let me attempt to help out with ur questions. but i'm sure our board moderators will be able to help u more later on.

- the closest is the RO jumbo 15202st. the original GG design for AP has no chrono, just a clean dial with date (doesn't even have seconds hand if i'm not mistaken). unfortunately it's pretty rare and selling at premium if i'm not mistaken. should be about 12.5k USD for LNIB/BNIB. but there's an cheaper alternative which is the 15300ST, it's the newer model with the new inhouse calibre 3120 (which is currently being used in the new AP ROO diver and slowly phasing in for the other ROO models). beautiful movement with 22k gold rotor and display case back. this one may be in ur price range as i've seen BNIB for 8k USD or so.

Genta only designed the original overseas model (not chrono). this is the youngest GG design amongst the big 3.
i think what GG designed for VC is the 222.... then 222 evolve to oversea now...

i'll leave this one for chrisyen to help. i'm not familiar with the ingeniuer range.
GG designed Ingenieur SL not 3227-01. 3227-01 is a new line evolved from the old GG design, DNA maintained but everything modernize!

the aquanaut was not designed by gg, i read that it's a simpler version (base model for pateks). the aquanaut is really stripped down version of all pateks, with no complications & only a rubber "tropical" strap. but still very expensive because of the patek brand, i think is out of your budget if you're looking for aquanaut jumbo (which is closest to the nautilus design).

this is the big 4 watches by GG not the modern 1

5. Which GG design watches would you go for it with a budget of under RM 30k(for both brand new and preown)?.
it is still down to you and which sings to you. i personally didn't really like to ingeniuer series, but love the royal oak range. problem is if you have a small wrist, it doesnt fit that well because of the way its lugs are protuding out of its case.
check out the royal oak 15300st, i think the MSRP locally is 45k (with decent discounts). slightly above ur budget, but u can search for one overseas, roughly 8k USD if i'm not mistaken for A BNIB.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:08:05 AM by chrisyen »