Author Topic: Incabloc Shock Protection System  (Read 4081 times)

Offline dexson

Incabloc Shock Protection System
« on: April 21, 2017, 05:15:51 AM »
Morning Guys,

Happy Friday !

As per subject above, I believe everyone here heard and know that an Incabloc functions as a shock protection system/part of a balance wheel. As i'm new to mechanical watches, and being curious, I started to dig into how it helps.

A Brief Wikipedia article as per below ;

The Incabloc system uses a "lyre-shaped" spring to allow the delicate bearings to shift in their settings under impact, until a stronger shoulder of the staff contacts the strong metal endpiece, so that the pivots and bearings don't have to bear the force of the impact. When the impact is over, the springs guide the parts back to their original positions. The staff itself does not move relative to the jewel bearing, but the whole bearing is carried in a metal bushing that is free to move in the metal endpiece, under the control of the spring. Some modern balance wheels use a simpler arrangement, where, taking advantage of the low cost of modern synthetic rubies, a large jewel moves as its own mobile bushing.

A picture from the net.

So, based on the picture above, I started to understand how it looks despite knowing only the "word" before this.

Knowing this, I remembered reading into the spec of ETA Unitas 6497-1 as per below ;

ETA Unitas 6497-1

Swiss made
handwinding
17 jewels
18,000 vibrations per hour
3/4-bridge with escape wheel island
Radial, decentralized Geneva stripes
Pallet fork bridge pearled
Two-spoke screw balance
Perlage under the ratchet wheel

A littlebit of googling yields that 6497-1 does NOT have incabloc & 6497-2 has it.

However, Im quite confused as from the image I see, 6497-1 does have the above INCABLOC parts, see blow ;

Another reason that i dig into this is also because im still tempted to purchase a Steinhart b-Uhr equipped with a modified unitas 6497-1, see below,

Appreciate any sifu here can put some comments on the above, as in are they equipped with Incabloc system, or its just something that is similar looking ?

Best regards, and thank you in advance.