Author Topic: Hand amputated for Rolex  (Read 8938 times)

Offline Peiseh

Hand amputated for Rolex
« on: November 09, 2011, 08:13:23 PM »
A Taiwanese man has returned from a visit to mainland China saying police there refused to return a hand that had to be amputated after a robbery.

Hu Chi-yang, 60, said three robbers tried to cut it off so they could take his Rolex watch and gold ring in Putian in south-eastern Fujian province.

Mr Hu said police wanted to keep the hand as evidence.

The incident has since been taken up by media in Taiwan, where Taiwanese rights on the mainland are a sensitive issue.

Police report
Mr Hu was visiting his fiance in Putian when he was attacked.

With the hand nearly dismembered, the robbers ran off with Mr Hu's watch, ring and about $600 in cash.

Mr Hu was rushed to hospital. But police officers arriving at the scene delayed the surgery, insisting they first had to write a police report.

Three to four hours later, doctors told Mr Hu that even if they had reattached the hand immediately, it would have been useless because the bones had been shattered.

Mr Hu then decided to have the hand amputated. But he wanted it back nonetheless.

The police officers, however, insisted on keeping it as evidence.

Mr Hu's daughter says her father is recovering well in a hospital in Taiwan.

He does not plan to ever return to mainland China.

What has also upset the family was that the semi-official Taiwanese agency (the Straits Exchange Foundation), in charge of aiding Taiwanese people in mainland China, did nothing to help.

The agency has apologised.

The incident has further fuelled concerns in the Taiwanese media that Taiwanese people lack protection in mainland China.

Taiwan and the mainland do not have formal diplomatic ties.

There are no embassies or consulates there because Beijing sees the island as a province, not a country.By Cindy Sui
BBC News, Taipei

Offline Watchnewby

Re: Hand amputated for Rolex
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2011, 06:26:14 AM »
So does this means don't wear Rolex in China? Crime and robbery manifest itself everywhere in the world. Even in Malaysia, it may happen too.
So be careful when going out with your precious grails.

Offline takashi78

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2011, 06:39:06 AM »
Better accompany this story with an actual link.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-15659127

Looks like those chopping of hands is not an urban myth afterall.

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2011, 07:04:01 AM »
Wow, so scary, now seem like the urban myth is there.... :Blue:

Definitely take precaution when travel to China
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2011, 08:54:52 AM »
doesn't matter where you are in the world, just be wary of your surroundings. one incident in China doesn't make the whole of China bad. i think there are more mainland Chinese wearing expensive watches than there are tourists.

Offline nayo

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2011, 08:55:03 AM »
I wear my Casio when traveling to dodgy places.

Offline siodee

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 10:52:38 AM »
I had the bad experience too, of which discussed in other thread, lost my Oris and wedding ring during a trip in China few years back. Luckily they didn't chop my hand, thanks God  :Praying:

Now I wear normal watch going to China.

P/S : Chinese said "Once you bitten by a snake, you always afraid of all snake"  ;D
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 01:37:47 PM »
"Once bitten, twice shy" is the phrase, I think.

Anyway, like dpkong comented, "doesn't matter where you are in the world, just be wary of your surroundings", which is a good advice. Be very careful where ever you are, especially dodgy places.

Offline Peiseh

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 02:04:59 PM »
Recent local news reported that a couple of robberies happened to patrons of road-side stalls as well. Folks who tends to enjoy teh-tarik till the early hours of the morning may want to cut short their lepak now.
It has not come to the stage of robbers staging robberies at wedding dinners, but still, one cannot be too careful on this issue.
This would be the place where everyone will flaunt their wealth and is the most vulnerable.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2011, 02:41:44 PM »
Recent local news reported that a couple of robberies happened to patrons of road-side stalls as well. Folks who tends to enjoy teh-tarik till the early hours of the morning may want to cut short their lepak now.
It has not come to the stage of robbers staging robberies at wedding dinners, but still, one cannot be too careful on this issue.
This would be the place where everyone will flaunt their wealth and is the most vulnerable.

its better not to reveal too much in this forum since it is public and anyone can look at it

Offline Peiseh

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2011, 10:08:55 AM »
I think its a bit extreme but still nevertheless a point that is not to be taken lightly.

Extreme cases like some potential con-man posing to be a PAM/Rolex owner here, actively posting questions and answers, and then finally wanting to have a get-together or something, and when the attendees are just right, they robbed you.

Like I said, its an extreme case.

Offline Gigi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2011, 03:14:58 PM »
I think its a bit extreme but still nevertheless a point that is not to be taken lightly.

Extreme cases like some potential con-man posing to be a PAM/Rolex owner here, actively posting questions and answers, and then finally wanting to have a get-together or something, and when the attendees are just right, they robbed you.

Like I said, its an extreme case.

If you can think like this why not others... Good pointer too  :)

Actually the folks at rolek sg forum took the photos in a way that it did not show the member actual face......
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:18:47 PM by Gigi »

Offline Enkidu

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 02:50:59 PM »
My dear friends, you don't need to wear a rolex to get robbed. I got robbed of my secondary school seiko when I was in Hanoi.  :Scolding: No experience getting robbed in China. But with the mainland chinese snapping up expensive rolex and other expensive watches like buying a loaf of bread from grocery store, I would have guessed that it's not likely for you to get robbed in places like Beijing and Shanghai. But then again, there are lots of people in China, even a few bad apples translate to a couple of millions..... :Startled:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 05:58:32 AM »

But then again, there are lots of people in China, even a few bad apples translate to a couple of millions..... :Startled:

True, a few bad apples in a densely populated country like China will translate into few million.
(Note : China have around 1/4 of the world total population)

Offline siodee

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2011, 10:32:30 AM »

its better not to reveal too much in this forum since it is public and anyone can look at it

Well, just declare here I dont owe Rolex  ;D, and you are right, it is public forum, we should not expose ourselves

Offline Omnipotent

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »
the article in The Star did not mention about his Rolex...the robbers were just going after his gold ring

http://www.dailychilli.com/news/15064-mans-hand-cut-off-by-robbers-kept-as-evidence

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2011, 01:45:24 PM »
That is because the robbers are not WIS. If they were they will also tapau the Roleks too.  ;D