Author Topic: Thailand flood 2011  (Read 6205 times)

Offline zitan

Thailand flood 2011
« on: October 19, 2011, 08:04:27 PM »
Recent petty incident has sparkled some thought in me that individual is being bothered by minor occurance; While the international communities by and large were equally slow in organising relief effort & virtually ignored the suffering of the Thais!

According to the news from various news agency to date:

The Thailand floods 2011, the worst in 5 decades, began in August in areas directly north of the Bangkok city and have slowly crawled south toward the Gulf of Thailand since then.

The death toll in nationwide flooding is 317, mostly from drowning, with nearly 9 million people affected and 27 of the countries 77 provinces still inundated. Initial estimates of the economic cost of destroyed shops, paralyzed factories and swamped farmland were $3 billion, but have since been rising.

The ASEAN-Emergency Rapid Assessment Team (ERAT) was dispatched to Thailand on Saturday, 15 October, to assess flood-affected areas. The five-man ERAT team from Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Singapore, only to observe the arrangement of relief goods distribution and monitored the floodwater diversion!
................. Why standby to assess? Really need action lah, moron :HammerHead:

The United Nations today (18 Oct 2011) voiced deep concern over the devastating floods in Thailand. Elisabeth Byrs, spokesperson for the UN Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) told reporters in Geneva that a UN Disaster Assessment and Coordination (UNDAC) team was on standby to deploy in the stricken countries if requested.
.............. is that a joke? I just cant comprehend that! :(

And the saddest news is some people even had the luxurious spare time to attend an extravagant exhibition, while fully aware of the natural tragedy that his fellow countrymen are suffering :(

May god bless the Thais to bravely overcome this natural disaster :Praying:
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 08:38:52 AM by Scott C. »

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Thailand flood 2011
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 10:29:37 PM »
Was there recently. Stayed in a hotel by the river. It was pretty scary on the next day when you notice the hotel had sand bags by the restaurant which was by the riverside. Also it was interesting to see the water level go up everyday. The fact that it was raining everyday did not help the situation. Anyway it is good to hear that central Bangkok was spared from the flooding.

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2011, 07:20:22 AM »
Yes, I agreed with Bro zitan here.
In times of natural disaster befalling our neighbour, we (Malaysia) should offer our help.
Not going there just to be observer only, unless this trip is to assess the situation and then relay the instruction on how best to assist the Thai authorities in rescue work as well as ensuring safety to everyone affected by the flood.

The UNDAC cannot be deployed unless Thailand request their help

Offline zitan

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2011, 09:47:18 AM »
Exactly! We as the closest neighbouring country should help in providing timely relief effort.

But, look at the timeline since the on slaught of the flood ............ the Thais flood victim have had endured so much suffering, & yet relief effort from international communities havent started! Who is responsible? ............ Bureaucratic leadership of the international communities or the Thailand gomen?

The whole scenario is very sad! :(

I myself has been doing a small part by offering discount on my service charge to my Thais clienteles in MY ........... & advised em to transfer its to their suffering friends & relatives. I dun belief in send cheque to the so-call charity organisation, ............... never know where the money ended up with!

Offline dpkong

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2011, 01:32:46 PM »

what this means is we shouldn't be surprised if after the floods are over and rice production gets back to normal, Malaysia won't be seeing much rice imports from Thailand anymore!!

Offline takashi78

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2011, 01:47:15 PM »
Eat more veges and less carbs :Laughing_on_floor:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2011, 06:50:48 AM »
Ya, that also can save for a new grail!  ;D

Cheers.

Offline ckmcsk

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2011, 05:19:21 PM »
i am just wondering how will BN response to flood if it strikes here in malaysia???

Offline dpkong

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
that depends if the state is under BN control or not..  :HammerHead:

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2011, 12:29:33 PM »
that depends if the state is under BN control or not..  :HammerHead:

Non BN state - "masih tunggu budget".
BN state - pass the hats around from public contribution + gomen giving flood relief $$$

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 09:29:58 AM »
saw the news today, seem like nothing much the Thai Government can do, some area got to wait for next yrs for water to subside  :Blue:

God bless Thailand  :Praying:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline ckmcsk

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 07:34:45 PM »
really this bad?