Author Topic: Comment or Not to Comment?  (Read 6346 times)

Offline Q

• Freshie
Comment or Not to Comment?
« on: October 04, 2011, 02:47:15 PM »
Dear Sir and Mdm's,

Encik Yong of the rare gold Epos Ref 5015, Edox Minute Repeater, GP Francios Pirregaux made for Yokohama, Japan and worth his salt as a horologer genvois not forgetting the FP Journe, Vianney Halter Antiqua.

Had a heated argument with me shortly about comments on ones preferences and choice in buying.

It happened that Encik Yong was very upset that during a gtg with some high horology members to which I was witness had casually without malice stated that;

" Why did you go all the way to [AD name removed- Mod] to buy the watch, that's a blunder !" (Encik Yong carried a huge amount of cash downtown)

Encik Yong took it to be rediculing him for buying the watch. And thereafter retreated from the high horology movement.

As such, I would humbly put to the floor of this august forum whether;

1.On casual speaking Encik Yong was too sensitive as the "blunder" could mean danger in taking so much cash with him in the tune of tens of thousands to buy the watch.

2.Even it meant the watch, Encik Yong could have dismissed it as an uninformed comment and lived with it and continue to enjoy high horology.

3.In short was Encik Yong too sensitive? Or the others too insensitive?

Speaking for myself I too made "blunder's" when buying various watches since I was told the likes;

"Why u wearing my kid's plastic watch" (my precious endured with me through tough environment gshock's)

"Why you bought a oldman watch" (my gmt master)

"No name, noone wants" (debaufre )

So thinking of those I too would have terasa but I persevered. Thank you for your thoughts.

Q
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:41:50 PM by takashi78 »

Offline siodee

• lalala..la..lalala....lala...lalalalala
Re: Comment or Not to Comment?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 03:00:52 PM »
Hi Q, first of all, I dont know Mr. Yong, and it is not fair to make assessment base on the scenario that you have described, on top of that, my understanding of your utmost English is very limited.

But bottom line is If you still treasure him as your Friend, then you should have a yum cha with him and just salam to each other. I believe Mr. Yong would love to do that too...

Just my 27 cents
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore... Dream... Discover..." - Mark Twain

Offline hanz079

• Global Moderator
  • I is Rocks!!
    • WATCHIONABLE
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 03:36:55 PM »
Kiss and make up...
Just a slight misunderstanding...  :Cheers:
I believe Mr.Yong won't be so siew hei wan la...
Terrenceterrence "seriously, i think buying a watch for it's secondhand value is like getting married and thinking about divorce at the back of your mind."

watchionable.blogspot.com

Offline Q

• Freshie
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 03:44:09 PM »
Dear Siodee and Hanz,

Its not an individual matter between Encik Yong and myself. We are best of buddies but do agree to disagree. Only collating views to educate ourselves when coming to give opinion on ones purchases. Not meant to judge.

Cheers.

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 06:31:51 PM »
huh?it took me twice to understand.u make a simple story too complicated.hahahah

Offline mnazri.tan

• Time As It Is
    • Time As It Is.....
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:44:53 PM »
wei.this en yong from this forum yes? if really is i think we should delete this thread.not nice la to bring dispute like this in public.and dont get the public to choose side lor.fren fren ok

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:30:31 PM »
Well it is all down to one's preferences in terms of their purchasing style. Nothing much to be said. There just seem to be miscommunication between the parties thats all. Perhaps words used are pretty strong..thats all. Sometimes when we wish to press our point, words or examples used may go a little far. I am pretty sure the discussion went further and maybe a little less pleasant than that single sentence. I highly doubt that the sentence is the sole reason to back away from the high horology movement. Just my thoughts on the matter.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline watchmanu

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:51 PM »
peace man! no wars!  :Cheers:
watchManU

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 10:42:47 PM »
Hi Q & Mr. Yong,
Firstly, I believe the both of you to be passionate about your interests, be it watches or anything else.
And I admire people like yourselves who may wear their passion on their sleeves because they are generally simple, straight-forward & honourable.
Secondly, according to marketing experts' studies, we understand that the act of purchasing something (especially of that which you fancy) is mostly emotional.
That's why we feel so good when we get to buy our grails!
And that's why passionate people are 'sensitive' to other's comments & opinons.
Thirdly, most (if not, all) personal development coaches will jump up & declare that we are responsible for our own feelings & responses.
So what if someone else has a different opinion, even if he/she tells it out, YOU know what you want, You know what makes you feel good & as long as it does not harm anyone else - so be it!
Finally, my congrats to Mr. Yong for he has the passion for watches, same as all of us in MWF (I assume-lah), & he has the means the afford it. Salute!
Take care, Ciao!  :thumbsup:
"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline Watchnewby

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2011, 04:29:19 PM »
Agreed with Bryan's comment.

Although I did not get the story from both side of the party, the bottom line is, "kiss and make up".
If both of you are old buddies, why bother about this small difference in opinion. Firstly, do not be "siew hei", secondly, each individual is entitled to his/her opinion but must voiced in a tactful/diplomatic manner, thirdly once the opinion is voiced out, one can take it with "a pincj of salt" and not be too sensitive.
And lastly, we are all here to share knowledge and information on the hobby that we like; so let's hace a "teh tarik" session or a beer session (wat to do? Octoberfest mah) to be frens, OK?

Offline WHEELQ

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 10:23:20 AM »
One man's meat is another man's poison. That's the norm in life, i think. One may choose the watches of his life (or vice versa) but one may also dislike others' choice. However, i believe one must be sensitive when putting up negative comment bluntly and the other party pula must not be too sensitive la.. tolak ansur ma..

Offline bryankwc

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 01:07:17 PM »
Just had salmon for lunch!  :Dancing_banana:
"My dream;
      Rolex by day &
               Patek by night." ;)

Offline Q

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »
when you dont buy something some will say you should buy it.when you buy something some will say you shouldn't have bought it.when you sell something some will say you shouldn't have sold it.happens all the time.

Offline Hellkite

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2011, 06:27:31 PM »
As the hokkien say, hua hik dio ho... they even have a song for that. Hahaha..