Author Topic: Seiko SKX007 customisation help?  (Read 7131 times)

Offline watchoholic

Seiko SKX007 customisation help?
« on: January 18, 2011, 07:15:15 PM »
Hey guys

Recently I got hooked on to this rather expensive hobby of collecting watches. During my initial research I came across a picture of a customised Seiko SKX007 & have been desperately trying to figure a way out on how to achieve that look. The picture is here

From where I got this picture, I found out that the bezel is from Seiko SKX011J, however even though the bezel appears to be taken from SKX011J, the outer ridged edge (circumference) of the bezel is not black in SKX011J, whereas in this image it is showing black.

The bracelet ofcourse is a Gold steel jubilee style that I traced at chronograph.com

Can someone please help me understand where is the bezel in the image from & where can I get it.
I'd be grateful as I am having sleepless nights over this customised SKX007.

This is not perhaps the best effort for a debut post on the forum but I promise I will improve once my brain starts functioning normally *after I achieve this customisation*.   ;)

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
Re: Seiko SKX007 customisation help?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 07:50:54 PM »
try googling up Yobokies and Noah Fuller

they deal in seiko and japanese watch mods. as for the bezel, i think it's PVD-ed .. the only person that i could think of that does this mod reliably is Jack at IWW .. again try to google up the keywords.

hope it helps

cheers
Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 08:55:48 PM »
As pointed out by terrenceterrence, try harold (yobokies - seikoboy backward), or noah fuller of 10watches. I believe both can offer the PVD. Yes Jack at IWW can do the same (heard his work is great) or try Jay at Motorcitywatchwork.

Offline watchoholic

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 11:46:59 AM »
^^ Thanks for your help guys.

I did move ahead on the road with all the information but have hit another roadblock.

The bezel insert, hands in this customised Seiko are from SKX011J. The bezel ofcourse is DLC.
Now should I pick up a SKX011J with the 2 tone Jubilee bracelet from chronograph.com & get the SKX007J dial on it alongwith the DLC bezel

OR

should I start with a SKX007J & put the bezel & hands from SKX011J & add to that the DLC bezel & two tone Jubilee bracelet?  :Confused:
Having seen 100's of modded 007's in the last 24 hours my head is just spinning. Some of the mods have been so beautiful it's so hard to
choose which one do you want. Can't buy watches like clothes...huh

Offline terrenceterrence

• scrapsofmylife
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
for me?

i would send inquiries for the prices for all the parts and watch needed and then choose the most economical route.

Better outrun my gun....faster than my bullet

Offline watchoholic

« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2011, 12:30:47 PM »
for me?

i would send inquiries for the prices for all the parts and watch needed and then choose the most economical route.

Yeah mate, the thanks was both for you and for 'TheHobbit'.  :thumbsup:

I'd have a look at the expected cost of both possibilities. However it just occurs it's less work if you take SKX011J as the base. However the cost seems to be rather high either way because I can't find the 2 tone Jubilee bracelet 22mm anywhere else but with chronograph.com and they want US$118 for it when they are offering a similar 20mm bracelet for a mere US$44. The trebling of cost (almost) from going from 20mm to 22mm looks quite unrealistic.