Author Topic: Saw coach driver, street cleaner, hotel concierge wear Rolex Submariner!  (Read 5406 times)

Offline Cocas

Saw few times coach driver, street cleaner, hotel concierge wear Rolex Submariner. To be exact is many times.

Will you change your perception towards Submariner?

Offline D'Andy

• Success. It's a mind game.
Bro, notwithstanding that the 116610LN is the most replicated diver watch in the world, the price of 16610LN was tolerable in the past. It's only in the last 5 years or so that the s/s pieces were no longer attainable at ADs that the premium kept creeping higher and higher. So your observations that more and more blue collar workers were wearing Subs (whether genuine or otherwise) would not change my general perception that it was a great tool watch and a good start towards one's Rolex collection. I myself, had found that many KLM air stewardess tend to sport the 116610LN on their wrists, and it always bring a smile to my face to see 'em Subs in the wild.

To further differentiate against the crowd, I found that going the 116610LV or 116613LB to be a better route. And with the TT, at least the replicated ones could be easily-identified since they would be mainly thinly gold-plated.
Watch hobbyist @ andywristwatches.blogspot.com. Current faves in my collection :

Rolex | Omega | Bell & Ross | Panerai | Seiko | G-Shock |

Offline qazsiz

• Freshie
Not confined to submariner but more to Rolex generally, if you know what i mean. I live in Asia where fakes goods (not only watches) are easily obtained and is almost a "culture". If i were to care much on these things, nothing much i could wear  ;D   

Offline phat7

Nothing wrong with it. They work hard to buy it. Reminds me of this saying, ‘ when poor wear genuine, people say fake, when rick wear fake, people say genuine’  :D

Offline dualcarb

Nothing will change my mind towards anything that is robust, well built and is an icon. I work hard, I pay my taxes, I take care of my family and I save for a watch that I can keep for my son. What does it matter what I do?

Offline Yoda

In overseas a lot of them I observed, shoe shop assistant, waiter, tour guide, shop assistant etc. Their currency is higher and their salary is higher than us in Malaysia. So for them could be 2 months salary, but for us could be 10 months salary.

I read somewhere in another oriental country, the people tend to buy Rolex because they cannot afford a house or car. So thats the luxury items they treat themselves.
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline chenht

This is nothing unusual in high income countries. In Australia, I met a security guard who drove a brand new Honda Prelude and a mechanic who drove a Porsche 911. Hope Malaysia will soon catch up.
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline aariff

The strength of our RM or lack of it, makes it difficult to afford foreign goods whether cars, watches and even imported foods. If compared with say in the UK, fresh grads earn about the same dollar to dollar at GBP2k per month but food, cars, clothes are so much cheaper.

Offline kukujiao

in HK it is very common

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline kukujiao

The strength of our RM or lack of it, makes it difficult to afford foreign goods whether cars, watches and even imported foods. If compared with say in the UK, fresh grads earn about the same dollar to dollar at GBP2k per month but food, cars, clothes are so much cheaper.
don't need to look so far until go UK lah... just look at SG cukup lah... no sawit, no getah, no minyak, drinking water also not enough but SGD1 : MYR 3... you know, I know why but we don't want to acknowledge it

Sent from my VKY-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline aariff

Agreed. You are right. Just jiran but so different

Offline chenht

Hope the new government will make some drastic changes for the better :Cheers:
16710, 116710TT, 116610LV, PAM00312,  Santos & Tank

Offline Cocas

Thanks for commenting :thumbsup:

All statements are very true.

Especially, for those airstewardress that wearing Rolex . I do find them more attractive than others :laugh:

Offline Darkholer

• Freshie
Re: Saw coach driver, street cleaner, hotel concierge wear Rolex Submariner!
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2018, 11:16:51 AM »
This happens in sg tho
People in mrt, fast food restaurant staffs, student, banker and etc
Owning a rollie sub is not as exclusive
Imagine we have that kind of buying power in malaysia
Where sub is about $12k instead of RM36k ( omit the conversion rate) spending 12k are much more comfortable compared to 36k ????????????