Author Topic: Rolex Datejust vs. IWC Portofino  (Read 5038 times)

Offline Arcanum

Rolex Datejust vs. IWC Portofino
« on: November 25, 2014, 01:32:20 PM »
Hi all,

Hope you can assist with this as the world of men's watches is a bit of a new one for me (I'm a lady!)

I'm looking for a special 30th birthday present and I've come up with two options here:

• Rolex Oyster Perpetual Datejust (16030) - Circa 1984 - This one is special because 1984 would be a birthyear watch for the recipient. Granted this is proving to be very difficult to find ...
  • IWC Portofino (IW356303) - Circa 2010ish

When comparing the price, both are more or less the same (under RM10,000). I'm looking for something classic that can be used daily. This is for someone who has no other fine watches (fashion brands only) but is looking to start somewhere. Other brand/model recommendations would be great too.

Would appreciate any and all help you can give. Thank you!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 03:39:41 PM by Arcanum »

Offline Calibr

Re: Rolex Datejust vs. IWC Portofino
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 02:32:11 PM »
Rolex DJ looks evergreen on a lady's wrist. If it's the only "luxury" watch, I suggest Rolex. ;D

Offline gunsnroses

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 02:50:13 PM »
Congratulations and happy birthday to you. Both are very fine watches and here is my take on things:

Rolex 16030
- Most likely without cert due to the age of the watch and the cert has probably long disintegrated or gone missing.
- Most likely the watch will require a service or has been serviced before in the past. Not a bad thing, but it depends very much on who serviced it and if anything was changed before. You wouldn't want to end up with a frankenwatch. Water resistance might be another issue here as well due to worn out gaskets and such.
- Excellent size at 36mm which I believe will suit women with average wrist size very well.
- Acryllic glass which has it's good and bad (scratches easier than sapphire but can be polished).
- Is it a quick set date? I'm not too sure with this model. If it isn't, it will be quite painful to set the date.
- Excellent oyster bracelet which is much more durable than the leather on the Portofino
- Most likely cheaper than the Portofino

IWC Portofino
- This is one of the nicest dress watches ever made IMHO. If i'm not mistaken, this model still comes on folding clasp compared to tang buckle, which is a huge advantage for me.
- ETA movement, cheaper servicing costs, very accurate and reliable. Some may see this as a disadvantage as it is not in-house made.
- Pre-owned should come with cert and box (probably falling apart now, as with most IWC boxes) but would most likely be more costly than the Rolex
- Leather strap may be due for change and if you are going with the original IWC leather strap, it will set you back close to another RM1k perhaps.
- Size would be 39mm which might be a tad big for a woman but it depends very much on your wrist size. If you can fit it then flaunt it.
- If i'm not mistaken, there is 1 merchant on this forum that has 1 unit preowned in his sub-forum. However, this model is not easy to come by pre-owned.

In conclusion, I would definitely recommend the IWC Portofino due to it being newer. However, if you are looking for a daily use watch, the Rolex would be a better bet, but maybe you should go for later models (ie 16234 or maybe Explorers if you can up your budget a bit).

Anyhow, happy shopping and don't rush into buying until you have really made up your mind.

If you can't make up your mind, toss a coin with both watches in front of you. Regardless of the outcome of the coin toss, you will know which one you want when the coin is in the air.

Offline Arcanum

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys! Actually small misunderstanding - the watch is not for me, but is a present for someone else  :laugh:

Offline squasub

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2014, 05:29:51 PM »
which brand the guy prefer between rolex and iwc?

for me i prefer the datejust - fluted bezel and that protruding crystal, not to forget jubilee bracelet..classic!

Offline Nutralife

• Freshie
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2014, 05:59:09 PM »
Ohh. Lucky guy. Is this a surprise gift? Would he mind a pre owned watch? Most importantly he must like it.

Offline Arcanum

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 07:43:53 PM »
I'm leaning more towards the IWC more because I realized that he favours leather straps over metal bracelets (doesn't currently own anything stainless steel) ... I do like the Datejust a lot though but finding it very difficult to find a 1984 model that I can rely on!

Offline squasub

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »
Why dont you get datejust 16234 instead? newer and easier to find

Offline Timeless

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 07:39:02 PM »
im a fan of date just, hence Rolex then