Author Topic: Cuckoo clock  (Read 6641 times)

Offline dpkong

Cuckoo clock
« on: September 27, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
Well.. since I want to ask about cuckoo clocks, I guess this is the place to post since it isn't a watch  ???

What are the recommended brands and price range? Is it fairly precise?

I was browsing at a shop in MidValley during my last trip and was almost about to buy one but then decided I need to find out more before I buy one.

Thanks for advise.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
Re: Cuckoo clock
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 06:35:59 AM »
Not sure if this helps but I have one made by hones from the black forest region of Germany. It seems that good ones comes from that region. Hones is a pretty young company and their product are good and reasonably priced. There are older companies from the same region, hekas, Anton Schneider, romba and others. Just make sure they have the VDS certification for clocks made in the black forest region. Quartz clocks do not have the certification.

Price varies with size, movement, complications and animation. Go for those with the 8 day movement, and some degree of animation. Also, unless you like the music 24 hours, select the movement that comes with the ability to silence the music at night. Awesome when this is done mechanically with just a small lever.

As for accuracy, you need to mount the clock flat against the wall and have the time, over a few days to regulate the clock. It is a question of adjusting the weight on the pendulum up or down to improve the accuracy.

Price. Expect to pay around RM 1k to 2k for the 1 day movement. 8 day movement will set you back around rm4k upwards. These are movement with music.

Offline chrisyen

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2013, 10:47:30 AM »
I also nearly buy the those is Black Forest
My wife love it
I don't like the design that time
Now regret not getting one

The mid valley shop hq in pandan Indah
Just next to my ex ex ex working office
That time I hv no interest and can't afford any clock they r selling
I shd hv make Fren with his boss that time
Mayb now can get discount lol

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2013, 11:06:06 AM »
I learn a little cause like Chris, the wife likes. So learn a bit.  ;D She wants to collect but trying to keep her collecting matryoshka dolls.....

Offline tancho

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »

Price. Expect to pay around RM 1k to 2k for the 1 day movement. 8 day movement will set you back around rm4k upwards. These are movement with music.

I paid around RM1.5K for a 1 day movement Schneider about 10 years ago from the Mid Valley shop.  The last time I check 3 or 4 years back, it has shot up much, much more (cant recall exactly how much) for a similar model.  Not sure about the prices now, but definitely much more than RM1.5K for a 1 day movement model.

Offline tancho

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 11:12:27 AM »
I just recalled, the Mid Valley shop was still based in their former premise in Damansara Uptown, PJ when I acquired mine.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 12:07:01 PM »
I did hear the seller mention the best ones are made in Black Forest (and I was thinking cake??) but there were so many brands.

My requirements would be simple.

1. Easy to adjust accuracy.
2. Minimum service required - how often do they need servicing?
3. No animation other than the bird popping out every hour on the hour to cuckoo the hours and then one cuckoo every half hour.
4. Not too large, maybe 12"x12"
5. No horns decoration

Is there a website for the local dealers selling these?

p/s. I thought it would be nice to have a cuckoo clock at home to tell the time like a minute repeater. It could also be fun to see if it scares the cat...   :laugh:

Offline Yoda

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2013, 06:55:51 AM »
I was there 2 years ago during a vacation. The clocks are cheaper there of course if compared to the ones here.

My opinion is that unless you are there, then may consider getting one, otherwise it may not give you the reason for owning one, that's my personal opinion. As it makes it more memorable.

The rationale is that the ones sold here are not cheap. In addition for those requires winding you have to be timely manual wind the clock which make a person to be a clock to a clock. So I bought one battery operated one from there for about Euro 150.

Well this is my personal opinion only.

If really want one make a memorable trip there with your love ones.

:Cheers:
"Train Yourself To Let Go Of Everything you Fear To Lose"

"The Fear Of Loss Is A Path To The Dark Side"

Yoda

Offline takashi78

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 07:22:53 AM »
For "easy" to use i always wanted one of these.

Change in temp will keep the clock running.
No need to wind up or anything.

Although not cuckoo clock la.