Author Topic: What do you guys think of the recent Rolex price adjustment?  (Read 24521 times)

Offline muhren

• Freshie
As many of you are aware Rolex adjusted the local retail price for their watches last month.
Below's a summary new prices of the more popular sports models including the new Sky Dweller.
In recent years Rolex prices have been increasing at an exponential rate, while, sad to say, the average Malaysian's salary have been pretty much stagnant.
Is Rolex pricing their timepieces out of our reach?  :o
And why is the Deepsea now priced higher than the SS Daytona?  ???

ModelReferenceRRP
Deepsea Sea Dweller116660RM37480
Submariner Date Black Index116610LNRM26410
Submariner Date Green Index116610LVRM28050
Submariner No Date Black Index114060RM23160
GMT Master II Black Index116710LNRM26080
Explorer 1214270RM20240
Explorer II216570RM25130
Milgauss116400RM23800
Milgauss Green Crystal 116400GVRM25440
SS Daytona116520RM37170
Sky Dweller - White Gold326939RM151660
Sky Dweller - Yellow Gold326938RM143200

Offline Godzillaz

Re: What do you guys think of the recent Rolex price adjustment?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 04:30:49 PM »
Jesus!!

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 04:58:14 PM »
hi,everyone. yes its the first adjustment this year n a huge one.Maybe  the cost to produce a deepsea is higher than the daytona. Or maybe i n  the near  future they are going to produce a SS Daytona with a ceramic bezel n price it 40+K. As for the salary stagnant issue,lots of malaysian are in the middle income trap segment. buy wisely bro s.

Offline dennis.T

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 05:02:40 PM »
But daytona is selling at premium compare to Deepsea.. No offense but deepsea look in-proportion to me..

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 05:09:45 PM »
and i forgot, its actually pro n con situation. Its good for the second hand retailers and those who want to sell  to upgrade but bad for those going for new ones.

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 05:25:57 PM »
hi Dennis,no offense , in fact i own both . The daytona is like love at first sight , n for the deepsea i agree with u , its big n heavy. 210gm. n 44mm width. i have learn to love it now n i think its awesome. u can buy a rubber B strap n  it looks more awesome.

Offline muhren

• Freshie
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2012, 06:36:05 PM »
Jesus!!

Amen to that!

Or maybe i n  the near  future they are going to produce a SS Daytona with a ceramic bezel n price it 40+K.

That sounds totally plausible.

But daytona is selling at premium compare to Deepsea.. No offense but deepsea look in-proportion to me..

One man's meat is another man's poison.  ;D

and i forgot, its actually pro n con situation. Its good for the second hand retailers and those who want to sell  to upgrade but bad for those going for new ones.

In other words asset inflation.  :'(

Offline dpkong

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »
Rolex increases prices every year, sometimes twice yearly. No surprises there.

Hardly any AD will sell a SS Daytona at RRP anyway.

As for Rolex prices beyond the reach of our middle-income group, well.. blame that on our low salaries and poor exchange rate.

Offline G.MAC

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:40:20 PM »
Looking at the price increase..all I can say is this, if we dont buy it now, we will never own one. Price increase is inevitable. Swallow the bitter pill and get one or just wait and see the price increase year after year.
Your ONLY job in this world is to make sure that you are happy

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 08:13:22 AM »
YOU ARE RIGHT G MAC , WHEN I WANTED TO BUY THE SS DAYTONA IN 1997 , IT WAS ONLY RM 13+K APP. AND THE TT IS APP RM 16+K, WHICH I DID NOT... N BOUGHT THE SS A DECADE LATER FOR MORE THAN DOUBLE THE PRICE.

Offline ck77

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 08:18:20 AM »
No surprise.

Rolex Price Evolution 1957-2012
http://www.minus4plus6.com/PriceEvolution.htm

Offline David_cheong

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 08:37:44 AM »
Judging from the price evolution, most or all sport pieces are all above rm20k...

Even a simple exp 1 is now at that bracket.

Nowadays, it is now 'harder' to own these new sport rollie with a decent income.

What can I say....

dc
I am almost a recovered watchaholic, but last checked shows only 70% recovered. How?

Offline muhren

• Freshie
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 09:39:48 AM »

Nowadays, it is now 'harder' to own these new sport rollie with a decent income.

What can I say....

dc

From your statement it would seem that those who own multiple Rolex sports models probably have some kind of indecent income stream.  ;D (Just kidding)

Actually the ADs are now mitigating this issue by offering attractive "zero interest" installment plans up to 18 months. So it is still possible for a decent income earner to own a dream watch by using these creative financing schemes.

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 10:06:33 AM »

Actually the ADs are now mitigating this issue by offering attractive "zero interest" installment plans up to 18 months. So it is still possible for a decent income earner to own a dream watch by using these creative financing schemes.

Is this being offered by the AD or the banks? If it is indeed being offered by the AD, do they release the watch upon the completion of he payment or earlier?

If this is being offered by the banks, it is a different story altogether.

Offline rusminag

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 11:38:03 AM »
The Rolex Price Evolution shows the actual inflation rate... not the same as what the inflation rate promoted by the Govt..
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline muhren

• Freshie
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2012, 11:46:44 AM »
Is this being offered by the AD or the banks? If it is indeed being offered by the AD, do they release the watch upon the completion of he payment or earlier?

The zero interest installment plan is a form of credit card financing. Since payment is via CC then the financing part is by the banks. It seems to be the modus operandi not just for the ADs but also practiced by the jewellers etc.
A fairly disturbing trend if you ask me.

Offline rusminag

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2012, 12:24:52 PM »

The zero interest installment plan is a form of credit card financing. Since payment is via CC then the financing part is by the banks. It seems to be the modus operandi not just for the ADs but also practiced by the jewellers etc.

Better than saving for 18 months and found out the price increased by 10%(usually more) by the time you have the total sum...
Don't Waste Time, Go for Rolex

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
during the month of feb 12 an AD offered 24 months 0 %interest. It was through a bank c card + lucky dip + watch winder.

Offline keeekeee

« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2012, 02:44:59 PM »
wow deepsea rm37k   :o :o :o 

still prefer daytona over deepsea  :)

Offline TheHobbit

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2012, 06:13:25 PM »

Better than saving for 18 months and found out the price increased by 10%(usually more) by the time you have the total sum...

I can only say read your cc terms and condition properly before embarking on the 'zero' interest installment plan.

Offline dpkong

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2012, 08:24:45 PM »
there is no such thing as a 0% instalment plan. somebody somewhere pays interest. usually, it's the CC holder.

1. the bank and seller would likely have an agreement that a certain percentage of the sale amount will be "finance charges".
2. the bank hopes that in the duration of the repayment period, the card holder will not be able to fully pay up and thus incur additional interest charges.

in the end, the cardholder will always lose out. beware the hidden charges.

Offline SeaDwellerR

« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2012, 09:21:10 AM »
 Always buy now rather than later....

Prices never drop.

:thumbsup:

Offline scooticus

« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2012, 04:35:13 PM »
Perhaps we could look at this scenario at a different perspective. Rolex is one of the few watchmakers known to be considered reasonably priced when you sit back and think about it. It will be more apparent when you place their price tags beside other watchmakers. Some might or might not agree to this but in general, some watchmakers have been pricing their prices above Rolex without producing their own movements, maintain their resale value, demand or appreciation and prestige as Rolex has always been perceived to have.

The hike in price is reflective of the ongoing prices of other watchmakers. However, it does price itself out of reach certainly for a huge bulk of the people. In one hand, owners of existing Rolex'es will have their timepiece greatly appreciated. For those who is saving or eyeing for one now will feel the pinch. I am certainly one of those who now need to wait longer to be able add more of it to my humble collection.

I guess my GMT master II will have to wait....

Cheers
Scoot

Offline IWCking

• I am poor but i am kind...
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2012, 08:44:02 PM »
well, not sure if rollie comes out with better box now. For an expensive watch, i must say that their green box looks cheapskate.  :Scolding:
I am broke but I am happy...

Offline tonykpk

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 09:37:52 AM »
 A little while after every increment buyers will be a bit hesitant on buying. But after a while people will accept it n start buying, before it keeps going up...